Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whatd you Destroy on your Bus today?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Whatd you Destroy on your Bus today? Reply with quote

Living up to my name, i thought i would share what i have broken on my bus lately...staring with my most recent need, my transmission...

Link

and continuing to my bent NEW HD sway bar (pulled back out with a tow rope and a light pole....)

and on to my vaneer on my cabinets coming off in a few more places.

what did you break on your bus today?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....nothing today. Or yesterday. But I've definitely tasted the many flavors of defeat. Most recently, my 1970 bus' rear view mirror just sort of crumbled when I was adjusting it. Mad

And the night/day shift lever broke off on my 1977 bus rear view mirror. Evil or Very Mad

And I broke my bank keeping them all alive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to long ago I bought my (first) bus out of a field after it sat for 25 years. I really wanted to get a better view of westy interior but could only get in passenger front door and wasp nests wrre everywhere. So with my infinite ignorance I reached in to give sliding door some help with a good whack from the inside. Hit it right on joulesie window knob turning it immediately to dust. The next event was even more costly as I tried to use the interior handle for leverage and snapped it in two. It is or should I say, was, a westfalia only item.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent had it long enought to break too much, but the first day I had it, I went to put on the aftermarket passenger mirror and snapped off the bottom by tightening it too much. PO probably threw away the original one and had the aftermarket one in a cabinet drawer. That was followed by accidentally ripping off an old valve stem on the rear tire. The whole thing came off. Other than that, so far so good. Smile
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess since I own the dogs and had them in my bus over the Independence Day Weekend... Toby ripped all of the OG riviera curtains off the tracks, will need to be resewn. Toby chewed on the chrome trim around the drivers door window... Toby chewed the drivers side mirror cracking the mirror and denting the mirror body! Toby also chewed on the slider door handle, nothing too bad tho.

Toby will be wearing a muzzle very soon!
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I took a good chunk of paint off the bottom of the sliding door opening putting the westy cabintes back in Sad
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dugfresh wrote:
I guess since I own the dogs and had them in my bus over the Independence Day Weekend... Toby ripped all of the OG riviera curtains off the tracks, will need to be resewn. Toby chewed on the chrome trim around the drivers door window... Toby chewed the drivers side mirror cracking the mirror and denting the mirror body! Toby also chewed on the slider door handle, nothing too bad tho.

Toby will be wearing a muzzle very soon!

Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut a hole for a fuel sending unit access today....on the 72. Sad

but on the plus side, now its working! Very Happy

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently f*cking about after a steering box replacement trying to get the horn to work - know there's a loose spade connector somewhere I can't get to - know it doesn't count as broken, but it will be soon unless the old cow starts to cooperate!

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalabert wrote:
Currently f*cking about after a steering box replacement trying to get the horn to work - know there's a loose spade connector somewhere I can't get to - know it doesn't count as broken, but it will be soon unless the old cow starts to cooperate!

What year bus? Early bays have a wire that come out the bottom, on late bays the column itself is grounded.
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a '73 - I cannot get to the spade on the bottom of the steering column tube without:
1) fingers like E.T. or
2) pulling the steering wheel etc, and sliding the steering column up to get access.
There is a cold place in hell waiting for the person who designed this. Although, given the age of these things, they're probably there already...twenty minutes ago, that would have made me feel better...

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
77VWBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
I haven't had it long enough to break too much..

Enjoy the honeymoon Laughing
Campin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brake fluid reservoir on my 68 crumbled in my hand today, so taking some advice on this board, I'm modifying with the 69-70 version. Between my rudimentary mechanic skills and some of these fragile old parts, it sometimes seems like everything I touch is going to break... Brick wall
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campin68 wrote:
The brake fluid reservoir on my 68 crumbled in my hand today, so taking some advice on this board, I'm modifying with the 69-70 version. Between my rudimentary mechanic skills and some of these fragile old parts, it sometimes seems like everything I touch is going to break... Brick wall

If it makes you feel better, brake fluid is one of the most corrosive materials we work with on our buses. Don't be sad, be glad that we have replacement parts available Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: horn column connector Reply with quote

Jalabert No ET fingers needed just long needle nose pliers and patients Wink
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently destroyed the threaded end of the OG drag link bolt.

http://octopup.org/img/sportsmobile/steering/m/200...nt--02.jpg

The removal tool/ puller, mushroomed the end of the bolt down to the cotter pin hole. I had the nut loosely installed to keep it from flying when it popped. I hacksawed the bolt to get it apart after it popped.

Aloha
tp
collinVW32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the beginning of my restoration process I needed to remove the steering wheel which was kinda seized on. So me and my dad beat the holy living crap out of this steering wheel not knowing the price of a new one or the fact that we couldn't just throw any steering wheel on

So for now I'm driving around with a busted up steering wheel, but hey, at least it still does it's job.

This also taught me and my dad we should probably look into what ever it is a little further before we take a hammer (or two) to it. Laughing

The only peace sign I will ever have on my bus is one that is upside down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to modify the behavior of the fog light switch on the Mexican single cab. In the original wiring, the fog light relay is grounded through the headlight switch, so that if the head lights are on the fog lights will not come on.

Since I wanted supplemental driving lights instead of fog lights (not a lot of fog in New Mexico), I wanted to wire it so that they would not turn off when the headlights came on, wiring the ground to a simple vehicle ground instead. However, since the fog light relay is part of the fuse box, I had to remove the previous wire from the relay to the headlight fuse, and managed to break off the connector that was feeding into the relay (one of those captive electrical female connectors with the little tab on it.). Grrr. Well, at least now I don't have to worry about that disconnected wire hanging around in the fuse box, going hot whenever the headlights are turned on.

So, that one is not too bad.

Here's a worse one: I knocked off the bench an original ignition housing on the floor, and the fall knocked off one of the four rather delicate mounts for the turn signal switch screws. I cursed a blue streak at myself for that one.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for now I'm driving around with a busted up steering wheel, but hey, at least it still does it's job.

Link
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
cut a hole for a fuel sending unit access today....on the 72. Sad

but on the plus side, now its working! Very Happy

Evil or Very Mad This:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Needs this:

Shocked And requires most of this to do that:

But it won't be the same...even after all those hours. Mad

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: