Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whatd you Destroy on your Bus today?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it means my gas gauge works, and since its under a seat cusion, i dont care that i have a hole on each of the busses i have. plus, on the 72, we plan on installing a vanagon hatch too...i dont like having such little acess to the engine...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
but it means my gas gauge works, and since its under a seat cusion, i dont care that i have a hole on each of the busses i have. plus, on the 72, we plan on installing a vanagon hatch too...i dont like having such little acess to the engine...

I get that... I totally do. After I renewed my fuel system, recalibrated my sender and replaced the gage voltage stabilizer on my 1977 bus, everything worked great!

For about three months. Evil or Very Mad

I then replaced the gage vibrator/stabilizer up in the dashboard, hoping that would solve my problem. Nope!

I totally agree with having easy access to the sender...especially since it is difficult to find high quality sending units to begin with. But trying to get the corrugated sheetmetal to lay down the way it was stamped at the factory was difficult without causing more creases on the long bend. It was a shitload of work just trying to get it somewhat right. Doesn't help that I suck at bodywork! Confused I guess it comes down to a personal decision. It could be argued that cutting a hole into the tank recess through the passenger cabin creates a safety hazard, but that's a whole other argument.

In the end, I will lower or pull out the 1977's engine (again!) just to dick with the sender. I wish my PO didn't cut that hole in my 1973 bus, but so far, at least that fuel system seems to be working. Pray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i managed to somehow not have a horn for the last few months...finally fixed a bad ground last week right at the horn. glad i got that solved!

in the process, my kickpanels get more and more worn every time i tear them out and put them back...only a matter of time (removed for testing and such)

206-841-7324
[email protected]
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today after work I hoped into the bus, pushed in the clutch and POP. Oh shit! First I looked at the spring on the transaxle, it was fine. Then I pulled the pan to find a mostly destroyed clutch cable. Dam, that cable only had 7,000 miles on it. I carry a spare cable, clevis pin and Bowden tube. The tube was fine so I installed the new cable and clevis pin in the parking lot at work. Yes, I greased the cable. Took about 30 min and I was on my way. Can't forget to get another back up cable and clevis pin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Today after work I hoped into the bus, pushed in the clutch and POP. Oh shit! First I looked at the spring on the transaxle, it was fine. Then I pulled the pan to find a mostly destroyed clutch cable. Dam, that cable only had 7,000 miles on it. I carry a spare cable, clevis pin and Bowden tube. The tube was fine so I installed the new cable and clevis pin in the parking lot at work. Yes, I greased the cable. Took about 30 min and I was on my way. Can't forget to get another back up cable and clevis pin.

7k miles and it popped? Shocked

Where did you buy that cable and are you running a heavier than stock pressure plate?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that reminds me...i still need to buy another spare. i apparently didnt have a spare last month when mine went out on me after less then 10k miles...

and i need to get a good way to have grease stored in the bus for such repairs...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

7k miles and it popped? Shocked

Where did you buy that cable and are you running a heavier than stock pressure plate?

I am running a heavier pressure plate. Big blue as my builder calls it Smile.

Not sure where that cable I was running came from or the the clevis pin. I went over the job again tonight to make sure my parking lot repair was up to par. Turns out the clevis pin I installed was correct but a poorly produced one and the clip did not stay on. This is the second one I had this issue with and most likely from the same order. I had one I ordered from CIP1 and it was much better quality and clamped onto the cable a lot better. New cable, which was my spare is part #211 731 335E from Pacific. Let's see how long this one lasts.

CIP1 clevis pin, no name 10 miles on it, no name used 7k

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

and i need to get a good way to have grease stored in the bus for such repairs...

Small tubes of grease work great for this.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fubar'd the adjustment cable on my slider door that activates the rear latch. Now my door doesn't open Sad

I attempted taking it apart because the interior lock stopped sliding down all the way into the locked position. It REALLY sucks not having a slider door Crying or Very sad

I crumbled the brown plastic front door interior handle screw covers...luckily I had an extra set in Tony's Spare Champagne Parts Stash!

Apart from those things, I have been making my bus much more comfy for the road.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
I fubar'd the adjustment cable on my slider door that activates the rear latch. Now my door doesn't open Sad

I attempted taking it apart because the interior lock stopped sliding down all the way into the locked position. It REALLY sucks not having a slider door Crying or Very sad

I crumbled the brown plastic front door interior handle screw covers...luckily I had an extra set in Tony's Spare Champagne Parts Stash!

Apart from those things, I have been making my bus much more comfy for the road.

i know where to get another slider door cable.....Wink

call ken at the busco (206) 523 6525

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Evilrift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoked my original Sapphire radio this past week. I had completely refurbished and verified it was working.. then fubared by hooking it inline with a bad voltage regulator.

It has probably been over a decade since the bus had that much smoke in it. Very Happy
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bashed into a Yellow Bollard and dented in my passenger side door to match my drivers side door (dent caused by a Friend who in tradition will be unatributed) . Fortunately I managed to pull the card and pop it back out by hand... only small dent to match the rest of the bus now!
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incinerated my rear inner wheel bearing last week..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
copellos
Samba Member

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
copellos
Samba Member

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

messed up my car gharging ports...now i have to fiddle with it to get my phone to charge...bugger. Sad gotta relocate the charger and install my temp gauge.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
No Simple Highway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 spark plug threads in a '77 and too inexperienced to know what to do!!! HelllLLLLuPP!
77VWBusDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Simple Highway wrote:
#2 spark plug threads in a '77 and too inexperienced to know what to do!!! HelllLLLLuPP!

Too late now if you've already cross-threaded it (going to need an insert professionally installed in your head), but next time slide the top of the plug into a 6" (give or take) length of hose and use that to get it threaded in the head before using your socket wrench to tighten it. The hose gives you good feel for what you're doing and holds the plug loosely enough that it won't let you damage the threads (usually). A wobbly also helps get your socket on the plug once you've got it started.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
well...oops. Crying or Very sad

time to fix the rust and get those new tail light buckets and lenses i have been needing....

206-841-7324
[email protected]
karlonwheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PO did a rustoleum paint job on my 73, and even though I KNEW this, i still got too close with the sprayer at the car wash and... washed some paint right off her. Fortunately, I learned that one bright part of rustoleum paint jobs is that touchups are a breeze.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: