Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modified spare tire clamshell to hold BFG 215/70R15
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Modified spare tire clamshell to hold BFG 215/70R15 Reply with quote

Originally did this in 2007 (an old "Big Brakes thread) I repeated it here to have a more "searchable" subject.

It's been working fine. Gets easier as the tires wear down. It's a Syncro. I don't know if it works on a 2WD. Also, there are tolerances on any vanagon chassis and theres probably no way to pre-confirm if a tire's gonna actually fit in YOUR vanagon. Other than getting the fully mounted tire, on the rim, and testing it. It's that tight.

If you have questions about the spare tire clamshell, I'd prefer to answer them in this thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I started out using that large "nut" as a spacer at front then found it wasn't necessary but decided to 'store' it there in case some condition occurred (slightly larger tire? Overinflated?) then if I needed it, it's there.

If there are any questions about the spare tire clamshell I'm happy to help. Probably better to post in this thread because it has a better searchable title.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo - thanks for this. I thought I'd add in our private discussion on the hinges, so everyone benefits.

Hinge Angle: You mentioned it was 10 degrees (or 170, however you look at it! Smile )

Location of Hinge (above vs. below the clam shell): You mentioned it was better to keep inside so it doesn't get caught on road debris (especially with a syncro). I'd agree. Will do the same!
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought about the location of the hinge being inside that it could rub/wear the tire or rim. Located on the outside might be better if the clamshell is not also being used as a skid plate for a 2wd.
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I had a thought about the location of the hinge being inside that it could rub/wear the tire or rim. Located on the outside might be better if the clamshell is not also being used as a skid plate for a 2wd.

If hinges were attached under the clamshell, on the outside, I wonder if a little bigger angle would be better?
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
it could rub/wear the tire or rim.

Whenever placing the tire in the clamshell, I have to lever the tire away from the steering shaft before tightening the bolt. It never migrates back to touch the shaft, so I don't think there's any "motion". But agreed wouldn't want the hinge touching on the rim.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mod. Thanks for sharing

Neil2

Last edited by furrylittleotter on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Sure it could be done different. Hopefully people will actually try different methods and post them rather than try and say what you shoulda/woulda/coulda done. Rolling Eyes

That gets old with a quickness.

I love mods like this. Keep them coming! Cool

Neil2

Hmmmm. A second look from a different point of view, even from a guy who will never do it, can still be a GREAT idea.

A different angle (and spacer at front bolt) would accommodate a wider tire or wider wheel. The wheel in this pic is a 5.5" Audi 5000 wheel. I don't think it's an ideal wheel for a Vanagon, but it was only $25.

If your wheel is wider than 5.5, i think it would be advisable to use a steeper angle (and you may need a spacer at front). Just cram it up in there and weld the hinges to work with the tire you have. And the spacer.

coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
A different angle (and spacer at front bolt) would accommodate a wider tire or wider wheel. The wheel in this pic is a 5.5" Audi 5000 wheel. I don't think it's an ideal wheel for a Vanagon, but it was only $25.

If your wheel is wider than 5.5, i think it would be advisable to use a steeper angle (and you may need a spacer at front). Just cram it up in there and weld the hinges to work with the tire you have. And the spacer.

I'll be putting a 15" x 7" rim in there, so when I figure out the angle & spacer requirements for that mod, I'll report back to here. It will be a week or two, but I will get 'er done!
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of my current bolt. My van has the regrettable situation where the front lugs are 19mm bolts and the rear lugs are 17mm nuts. So I set it up so whichever wrench I have will let the spare tire pan down.

Also, if on the road, and for some reason my tire pan can't hold whatever tire I'm putting up there, then I can put the spacer on the other side to spacer it down a little.

If you're cramming a fat wheel up there, pay attention that your fat wheel doesn't pinch off the radiator hose when you crank it up tight.

Try a "tinfoil thickness guage" Ball up some aluminum foil leaving it a little fluffy but able to compress and hold a set. Tape it near your hoses, then crank everything up and see how far is squashes the tinfoil then you'll have an idea what its doing to the hoses. There can be springback in the tinfoil ball, do some testing so you know what it's telling you.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Modified spare tire clamshell to hold BFG 215/70R15 Reply with quote

Link showing 7x15" Rhein wheels:

Clamshell does fit 215/75R15 BFG AT on 15" Rhein updated

montanasurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Modified spare tire clamshell to hold BFG 215/70R15 Reply with quote

Question for folks who have done Sodo's clamshell mod. Has anyone done it with a 2WD successfully? Does the syncro subframe provide more clearance?

I have a 1987 2wd and I'm thinking of doing this mod.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Modified spare tire clamshell to hold BFG 215/70R15 Reply with quote

I may have missed it but I have not seen any mention of the two different clamshells sizes and protective brackets.

ETKA lists clamshell 251-801-901D and then 255-801-901A for tire size: 205
ETKA list left bracket 251-801-913A and then 255-801-913 for tire size: 205

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case your results don't match the work being shown in these threads.

1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Modified spare tire clamshell to hold BFG 215/70R15 Reply with quote

Good call davideric9 the smaller tab on the 2WD clamshell can be seen in your ETKA pic (near bolt#5).

Going up this page couple replies is a pic of the 'long tab' of a Syncro that had the VW Alloy 14" wheels (205?).

Heres a 'smaller' 2WD clamshell with the front tab extended for wider tires.
The pic is kinda "upside down' where the extension allows the clamshell to drop down farther.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: