Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3 week adventure in Maine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossjen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: 3 week adventure in Maine Reply with quote

We are soon heading out for a three week adventure in Maine. Will likely spend most of our time around Portland area. If you have any suggestions or comments about things to see or do in the area please voice. Going to attend Ossipee music festival for the first time as well. Looking forward to some biking, hiking, beaching, and some music. Any good mechanics / shops? Places to eat or have a beer ??
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's over 3 hrs away from Portland, but I would not miss Acadia National Park. I suggest the coastal route up there and visiting places along the way, like the marine museum in Bath Maine and the Penobscot Marine Museum in Searsport. Near Rockland, there is the the Owls Head Transportation Museum, a must see!..In Rockland, I suggest eating at Conte's 1804 Restaurant.

Camden has a nice little dock area that is a great picnic spot with a few old kilns there. This just before you get to town proper when heading north. Camden will have a lot of tourists, but it is worth a stop and search for a blueberry sundae topped with local blueberries. The state park has a nice shore location for a picnic as well and across the road is the campground (nice place to stay) and mount Battie that gives a great view. You can drive or hike My Battie.
Nearby is Mt Megunticook - a great small hike.

Other places such as Freeport with the LL Bean store, if you have not been there, is worth a look. South of town is Gritty McDuff's - good food and beer. Kicking around Freeport is enjoyable for some, and too many people for others. To get away, go to Wolf's Neck State park and soak up the salt air.

Coastal Maine is a great place, it WILL be full of people in the summer, don't let it deter you, just relax and go. There are scores of places to see. I am sure timwhynot can give you more advice. Guess I could too, but enough for this post.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The State Parks offer you your best value in comfort and safety. They may not be entirely inexpensive but
cheaper than the commercial campgrounds. Cobscook Bay SP is one of my favorites and it offers you beautiful
views of the bay and some hiking. Sites I would suggest if the ocean is where you want to be? 2 thru 8 and
the 120's along the shore. The park is huge and you'll be able to do alot of biking around. Another SP is Lamoine
close to Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor, you can see the mountains meet the ocean from the park.
Not alot of hiking but plenty of biking and day trips to MDI you can get all the hiking you want. Just outside of
Freeport and close to Portland is Bradbury MT SP, all the sites are flat and there is plenty of both hiking and biking
there. Hope this gives you some ideas?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention it, but Acadia Nat Park has great hiking and Carriage trails for bike riding (gravel best for MTN or Hybrid bike). Great and beautiful too. Courtesy of L.L.Bean, there are free shuttles in Acadia which makes 1-way hiking an easy possibility. The busses also have bike racks on them as well.

Lamoine that Tim mentioned looked to have great road biking around it, but I have not ridden in that area.
Sjwillis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be heading to maine in a few weeks for a couple weeks of camping. We've gone a few years in a row now but this is the first year in the vanagon. Highly recommend driving up the coast to Acadia. The drive through Camden and other towns is beautiful with tons of great places to stop for food, etc. definitely post any great finds, we will be right behind you!

Jim
rossjen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Leaving soon.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Will be camping at Recompense in Freeport. Booked an evening sail with Wine Wise out of Portland. Going to see some live music at Port City Music Hall (Milk Carton Kids). Going to do some beaching on Old Orchard via Ocean Park. Looking forward to some seafood. Bringing our own lobster pot.
Anything else much appreciated....
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be on my way to NB this weekend and then to NS the following weekend, enjoy your stay in Maine!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving soon.... Reply with quote

[quote="rossjen" Will be camping at Recompense in Freeport. [/quote]
That's a good place - only spent 1 quick night there - want to go back.

In Freeport, I recommend eating at The Corsican - been going there for over 20 years. Decor is nothing great, food has always been wonderful. Amato's is a good casual place for pizza or a sandwich right on the main drag.

Portland Museum of Art looks to have a great exhibit! If you tell us your north and south terminus, perhaps more suggestions can be made.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent a month in Maine once and I'd say if you are staying around Portland you are missing the best. Head downeast and see the real beauty. The farther away from Portland you go, the better IMO. Sure, there are tourism hot spots but the travel along the shore between these "well known" spots was the cool part for us. Some days we'd stop a half dozen times. An old glass blowing shop. A farmer's market. A little town with an ice cream shop and a cool 50s pier.

Bar Harbor was cool to see. Camden similar. But it was the traveling. I missed the best photo of my life when we came around a curve entering Camden to see an oncoming 50's convertible british sports car stopped for a turtle to cross. Elderly couple. Wooden shed, a well kept New England home in the background, evening sunlight. Spellbound, we stopped too, and just watched. Then I frantically groped around for my camera and realized way too late it was in the back. So we sat back again and just watched as the turtle slowly made its way across. We still talk about that moment. We got the shot mentally, just that we can't show anyone else!!

Maine is beautiful. Enjoy!

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: