Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

decision... decision... please help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: decision... decision... please help Reply with quote

hi all,

could you please pitch in your though...

WBX 2.1 - 125K miles needs to be rebuilt

- cylinder walls good condition, still have score marks
- good pistons
- bad rings, to be replaced
- bad heads, to be replaced...
- no prior signs of bad bottom end

now the question - doing top end only or a full rebuild? (cost wise, full rebuild is double of top end only)

many thanks in advance...
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go all the way, or do a engine conversion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who's doing the work dan ?
if you are doing it, i'd maybe go the whole hog.
if you are paying for it to be done, and you know the bottom end is good, only replace what's needed

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply

if I could afford I'd go full rebuild for this engine which will go in my 1990 Carat..I love conversion but it's way over my budget... and...

there's also my Syncro... which the engine will need a rebuild soon too... how soon I don't know... but I can see the dark clouds on the horizon..

the work will be done by a local mechanic....

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have pulled it out and are going to pull the pistons out to do the rings I'd go all the way on the rebuild. You are doing most of the work, so why not know that everything is in great shape. The way I look at it you can spend $1,000 extra now and have a reliable completely rebuilt engine for the next 10+ years or risk having to pay $3,000-$4,000 again in a couple years.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: engine Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
If you have pulled it out and are going to pull the pistons out to do the rings I'd go all the way on the rebuild. You are doing most of the work, so why not know that everything is in great shape. The way I look at it you can spend $1,000 extra now and have a reliable completely rebuilt engine for the next 10+ years or risk having to pay $3,000-$4,000 again in a couple years.
X-2 If you are going to keep it more then 6 mo. Do it all! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could get the mechanic to measure the endplay - you can make your bottom end rebuild decision based on that. if sloppy and leaking oil, out the main seal you might want to invest a bit more.

if you don't split the case, you might consider at least getting new rod bearings and reconditioned rods: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_679_269/connecting-rods-set-of-4-see-description.html
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compromise would be to remove the connecting rods, have the bolts replaced and have them resized at the local machine shop. This way you aren't into the case, but don't have to worry about a rod coming off once you put some load on it with the top end overhaul.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not a daily driver, do the top end only. You may get 5-10 years down the road before you have any problems with the bottom.

I drive my van about 5000 mi/yr, so a 50,000 mile repair lasts a long time.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty...
no... it won't be a daily driver... it will be a recreational van for camping when time permits... 5K miles a year max, not even that...

atomatom ...
thanks for suggestion of the end play checking...

rsxsr ...
I will talk to the mechanic about the connecting rods bolts

no matter the decision, I will put in an external oil cooler with fan...
sea_sick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
If it's not a daily driver, do the top end only. You may get 5-10 years down the road before you have any problems with the bottom.

I drive my van about 5000 mi/yr, so a 50,000 mile repair lasts a long time.
'

FWIW, I'm on board with this line of thinking if on a budget.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find someones used engine from doing a conversion. It seems alot of vans get more than 125k from the stock engine. Call some conversion shops see if you can find one with less than 100k on it. Most people who do a conversion dont want much for their engine. I gave mine away and it seemed to run well. At that point someone doing a conversion has spent alot of money and youd think they would be trying to recoupe as much as possible. But I think if they were like me they were just happy to see it gone.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find someones used engine from doing a conversion. It seems alot of vans get more than 125k from the stock engine. Call some conversion shops see if you can find one with less than 100k on it. Most people who do a conversion dont want much for their engine. I gave mine away and it seemed to run well. At that point someone doing a conversion has spent alot of money and youd think they would be trying to recoupe as much as possible. But I think if they were like me they were just happy to see it gone.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told once by a very credible VW shop that the bottom ends are good for double the top end. I didn't listen and got a fully rebuilt engine. It was a lot more expensive and the idea that I was somehow saving myself trouble was not the case and I wish I had listened.

My vote is for top end. Disclaimer, I am not a mechanic, just a customer most of the time. But people here will usually go overboard in my experience.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look into changing the camshaft for more power if your going to split the case.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
A compromise would be to remove the connecting rods, have the bolts replaced and have them resized at the local machine shop. This way you aren't into the case, but don't have to worry about a rod coming off once you put some load on it with the top end overhaul.

2x, I would strongly recommend dealing with the rod bolt problem. This is a notorious problem that happens to most 2.1 WBXer engine in the 140-180K mileage range, and will waste out any money you spend without addressing it and wreck your core. Heads can often be handled by filling the corrosion pits with JB Weld. It is possible to get by for only a few hundred dollars if you are doing the work. YMMV
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:

2x, I would strongly recommend dealing with the rod bolt problem. This is a notorious problem that happens to most 2.1 WBXer engine in the 140-180K mileage range, and will waste out any money you spend without addressing it and wreck your core on top of everything else. Heads can often be handled by filling the corrosion pits with JB Weld. It is possible to get by for only a few hundred dollars if you are doing the work. YMMV
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a 2.1 go 250k without a bottom end rebuild. Then again, when it did go, it was a rod bolt.
2nd on the JB weld for head pits in the coolant area. Works great.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: