Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Thats a lot of winching, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that. And at night. But yeah stereo & refrigerator blasting.....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Good looking out fxr. Wink
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

When I replaced the 90A alternator with the 110A alternator, I really noticed a difference in the speed of the wipers and fans when commuting in the dark and the rain. Instead of slowing down like they used to, the wipers and fans now stay at the same speed when I'm at a stoplight. I didn't notice any difference in the speed of the starter.

Well worth the small effort to replace it.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Instead of slowing down like they used to, the wipers and fans now stay at the same speed when I'm at a stoplight.

Good indication that your van was using all the 90A could "put out at idle". That should show up in a voltage gauge (ala the fxr 14.4v note above).
Jake de Villiers wrote:
I didn't notice any difference in the speed of the starter.

Not suprising. The starter can't spin the bigger alternator fast enough to speed itself up.... Rolling Eyes Shocked Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Instead of slowing down like they used to, the wipers and fans now stay at the same speed when I'm at a stoplight.

Good indication that your van was using all the 90A could "put out at idle". That should show up in a voltage gauge (ala the fxr 14.4v note above).
Jake de Villiers wrote:
I didn't notice any difference in the speed of the starter.

Not suprising. The starter can't spin the bigger alternator fast enough to speed itself up.... Rolling Eyes Shocked Wink

Ha-ha, Tom! I merely meant to impart that the battery was being fully charged with the smaller capacity alternator.

I should also mention that I have two batteries, two engine ground straps and two transaxle ground straps to go with the one regular 2.1 WBX starter that spins my Subie motor with alacrity.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blurat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Hi, I have the 94 2.2. If I get a later model alternator from the ones you described, how bout the wiring harness at the alt. Do they have to be from the same year or do multiple years fit?

My local piknpul only has vehicles up to 2002 and not many at that.

Chris
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

I got mine on ebay for $30 shipped and no tax.
blurat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Missed that post on page 2 about the harness. All good here. Thanks for the info and input

Chris
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Another improvement I now do on these alternator upgrades is to purchase a 4 gauge marine grade tinned wire and run it directly from the charge stud on the alternator to the starter stud on the van. You can buy these pre made and crimped on Ebay by length cheaply. You then remove all the original patched together charge wires, which are usually larger gauge white on the Subaru end and red on the Vanagon end.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Gauge-AWG-Copper-Batter...4zF9KmuY8Q

This upgrade requires the 5/16 diameter ring terminal on both ends.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

I'm just wrapping up the rebuild on a 2003 EJ25. I want to upgrade the alternator while I'm at it. The original alternator fits well on the pivot bracket. The new 110A one has a lot of slop front to back. Do I need to find a mount from a newer engine? Maybe use a washer as a shim? I'm concerned about belt alignment.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:
I'm just wrapping up the rebuild on a 2003 EJ25. I want to upgrade the alternator while I'm at it. The original alternator fits well on the pivot bracket. The new 110A one has a lot of slop front to back. Do I need to find a mount from a newer engine? Maybe use a washer as a shim? I'm concerned about belt alignment.

Strange, mine was tight and I had to file it down a bit. I think a washer would be fine
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

pbrown wrote:

You probably just need to tighten it more, there is a friction sleeve on the rear ear of the alternator which is moveable, and whoever last removed your alternator probably pushed it out some.
Franz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackaymanx wrote:
Be very careful with this, later alternators are controlled by the ecu. I used an alternator from a 2006 Liberty(Legacy) on my 1996 EJ22 in my Syncro conversion and it put out 20 volts.

Not sure if they use pulse width modulation or some other method to control the voltage but the engine ECU is involved.

I need some help with an ee20 diesel alternator. I can't get a 12v charge (idiot)light signal out of any of the 3 wires. I've been pouring over these forums and anything subaru swap related for answers. The ee20 alternator must work differently than others? Computer controlled?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

According to stock subaru ee20 wiring diagram:
1 black/yellow - to charge light on dash
2 white/red - to switched 12v ignition
3 black red - to ecm

Why does the black/red go to the ecm? That would mean that the ecm is regulating charging voltage?

Seems like I have tried everything. Maybe I have a bad unit, or fried something with all the testing?

Last edited by Franz on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

I've tried battery + 12v to every wire.
Only the black/yellow has any effect. I get 15.3v at the battery+ terminal, and 6.3 volts out of the black/red....not enough to turn out the idiot light.

If I apply 12v to the black/red, I get 1.3volts at the black/yellow, but not any charge voltage.

Must have a bad alternator? Or is it computer controled?

If it matters I am not testing with the idiot light circuit attached to the alternator. I fear that the fridge relay and aux. battery relay may cause issues with the light not going out as well. I should be able to read 12volts at the wire that will go to the idiot light without it being connected?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Maybe start a new thread? Specify you have question for ee20 diesel. Greg should know.
Franz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Maybe a moderator could split my ee20 stuff from this thread?

I've been talking with boxeer.com Greg. He didn't know. This is one of his euro 6 engines that he was selling a year and a half ago.

He had one of his other customers contact me to tell me how to attach the wires.

I think his customer may have the euro 5 engine because the plug at the alternator looked different, and his wiring did not work for me.

Or I have a bad alternator. Which would be Greg's issue again.
Franz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

I just pulled the alternator off.

It has a one way clutch on the pulley. I can spin the pulley and armature independently. See the bearing on the end of the pulley? Has anybody seen this?

baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Ok, clearly I'm an idiot - i want to upgrade my alternator with a rebuilt unit I got from Rob

I have the old style 2 wire connector

I bought the new style 3 wire alternator harness

what do I hookup where?

termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

For the 23700-AA370 alternator, the pin closest to the 12V+ Post is connected to the alternator light in the instrument cluster, the middle pin is connected to 12V+ field wiring to "sense" the voltage, and the last pin is unused (farthest away from 12V+ Post). If you do a search here you will find numerous posts with more information.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: