Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog and driving light laws
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAPI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Fog and driving light laws Reply with quote

Just picked up some Hella 500 driving lights, and noticed that they are tapped into the high beam lead, which means they will only come on with the high beams. Is this to comply with some motor vehicle law? Is it really a big deal if I pull my switch voltage from somewhere independent of the head lights?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just run them independent so you can choose when they are on. I doubt anyone will hassle you about it.

They are actually only "supposed" to be run on low/dipped beam and turn off when high beam is selected.At least that is how it is on the modern VW/Audi cars I see.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wire independently and use when I need it...

just use your common sense and don't burn the retina of the ones in front of you or the ones in the opposite lane...
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog and driving light laws Reply with quote

PAPI wrote:
Just picked up some Hella 500 driving lights, and noticed that they are tapped into the high beam lead, which means they will only come on with the high beams. Is this to comply with some motor vehicle law? Is it really a big deal if I pull my switch voltage from somewhere independent of the head lights?

AFAIK the "driving lights" should go out on low beam, on with high beam.
"fog lights" are on always when selected.
That being said, I have my "driving lights" down low, (like fogs) and have them switched...my choice for when I use them.
hella 500s are nice Very Happy
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess every state is different in WA state at least
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.180

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighting laws do vary by state, but in general driving lights are meant to be switched on with the high beams only due to the long, narrow shape of the beam. If your state has strict safety inspection laws, improperly switched lights could be a reason for failed inspection.

In most places, a properly aimed set of auxiliary lights that can be switched on and off independently of the headlights is the best way to go since it will provide an alternative source of lighting if your headlights fail.

Good aiming instructions for auxiliary lighting can be found here: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PAPI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks- I may go with the independent set-up. Any suggestions for a good switched relay voltage source?
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a stock Vanagon fog light switch, or the back-lit Porsche 944 fog light switch (both fit identically).

Let me know what year your van is and I will suggest some possible hookup options. You will have to add your own relay.

If you would rather buy a ready made wiring harness solution with a fuse, relay and switch, I can set something up for you.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have posted, the Hella 500's can be connected independently of the Headlights. I have mine switched using a Porche 944 Unit. In addition, I wired in a relay to have them follow the ignition switch, and use them as Daytime Running Lights. The ignition switch relay ensures I don't leave them on accidentally when exiting the vehicle.

FWIW, I've been running the Hella 500's night and day for several years here in SoCal without attracting the attention of the Police, or getting high-beamed by opposing traffic. I do have them mounted low and adjusted low.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
PAPI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 500's came with a relay. The unit draws signal voltage from the high beam wire and runs through a panel mount switch. If I replace the leg from the high beams off the switch, does the new source have to be relayed?
BTW- I thought Hella's instructions were just awful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: