Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi / CB Perf Oddball Disc Brake Pads
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Empi / CB Perf Oddball Disc Brake Pads Reply with quote

I'm looking for a better pad for my CB front disc brake kit, preferably ceramic.. The pads that came with the kit puts off a lot of dust.

This type of pad is used in both the Empi and CB Performance front disc kits. It is not a ghia pad like some other kits.. it is an oddball.

I spoke with CB Perf. and they say the pad is for a mid 1990's Brazilian Fiat.. but couldn't say for sure what model or a good part #.

I have searched the forums and found nothing, also searched rockauto and found some similar pads but nothing exactly the same.

Here are some pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have some luck here figuring out what you have. Once you can identify it, then you can go to Hawk, or other brake manufacturers and purchase a harder compound pad then what you have now.

Most manufacturers use a very soft pad for street use simply because they usually don't make noise (squeak) and they are easy on the rotors. The down side is they put a lot of brake dust on the wheels.

Going to a harder compound brake pad should reduce the amount of brake dust you get on the wheels, BUT you may find other problems that are more annoying.

Rotors may wear faster, the brakes will make more noise, or they may deposit other things on the wheels.

Some metallic pads have a tendency to leave metal particles on the wheels that will then rust. When that rusting begins it can actually pit alloy wheels. And this can happen very quickly - like over night or even in a few hours if conditions are right for it. So even the most meticulous person who keeps everything spotless and clean may find their wheels pitting.

And just to educate you a little, racing brake pads DO NOT work well on a street car! So this is one area where you want to stay away from the racing parts. Racing pads are designed to work at much more elevated temperatures then you will ever get on the street. As such, the car won't stop too well when the pads are not up to temperature.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a CARQUEST in your area try them, believe it not I had some issues finding 944 brake pads and had to return two sets either due to quality control issues or just plain wrong pads. I went to CARQUEST and they got them from their foreign parts line and they fit great, ceramic and a hell of a lot cheaper than Hawks. If I was racing the car than Hawks would be my choice but since its a street car that wont see the extreme braking requirements of the track I felt OEM quality was more than sufficient.

Another source for brake parts other than the auction website is Amazon for odd ball stuff, they sell Hawks brake pads on there.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shape/design looks very similar to those listed on ebay for a fiat tempra. except these have some type of sensor hooked to one of the pads.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIAT-TEMPRA-TIPO-Models-NO...3ce379025d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pagid-Front-Brake-Pad-Set-...4602d926f6

Let us know what you find out. I also have cb disc and just planned to buy new ones from CB when needed, but would still be interested to know if there is something comparable at the local parts store.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: