Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is a decent price for windshield glass?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: what is a decent price for windshield glass? Reply with quote

What does a vanagon windshield go for?

Is it worth paying the shipping and going for mail order (rock-auto $120+80 200) or sourcing from a local glass shop?

Someone is trying to sell a vanagon windshield for $500OBO on my local craigslist. I suspect they were spying on me.

And how horrible is the green/blue tint stripe? Anyone had one installed that they hated that much?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last windshield cost me $150 at a local glass shop, including installation. I got the replacement with the blue tint. I have no objection and the fit was good. Call around and see what the new ones cost in your area.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call a couple of local glass shops.
Usually about $175.00 installed at your location--- right where the vehicle sits.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As TK said, call your local glass shop. When I did mine I ordered a new Seal and had it installed at the same time.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retract that last post filled with informative glass purchasing idea's.

The price I shot you was here in the USA, where glass shops are competitive, and there's one on every corner.

Your probably out in the boonies, and the closest Glazer is 300 miles from you or 600 Km whatever.

Probably double the $175.00 I told you about.
And that was for PPG tinted glass installed right here--didn't have to make a move anywhere.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I'm not too far out in the wilds, but it is a ferry ride, so I'd probably pay a bit more for an installer to visit me.

I'd like to check/repair any window frame rot, so it is tempting to buy the glass and install it myself - tempting the first time, less appealing when I crack it the replacement as well.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a quote from Speedy a couple weeks ago...Think I can find the damn card?

I believe it was around $340 all in here in Courtenay with me supplying the seal. That was for a tinted window (matches the other stock windows), without the lame blue banner across the top that I would be staring through driving down the road. Given that the cost difference supplying the seal vs not wasn't much it's probably a cheap seal so I'd get a good one from somewhere (That Skylight Guy?) and bring it with you. Also don't let them get sloppy with the exacto and score the paint, setting you up for rust down the road. Read up on windsheild sealing too, seems it's best to apply some sealant in the bottom 1/3rd of the window, but they might already know that...

http://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/shop/windshield-seal/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
I'd like to check/repair any window frame rot, so it is tempting to buy the glass and install it myself - tempting the first time, less appealing when I crack it the replacement as well.

Got a buddy with a driveway/garage in Van? Head over there and do it, and have an installer come to you. Then you can do the rust R&R, or take it somewhere to get it done. Not sure the regs on driving around Metro Vancouver with no wind shield...could do it to the glass shop or to the repair shop...maybe. I think you can drive a jeep with the wind shield down...what's the diff?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
My last windshield cost me $150 at a local glass shop, including installation. I got the replacement with the blue tint. I have no objection and the fit was good. Call around and see what the new ones cost in your area.

same here, 2 years ago

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$80 installed reusing my seal. 1 year ago.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGW windshield with upper tinted section, delivered...$189.00
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer to install my own glass...especially the windshield. I'd want to inspect and mitigate the valley and pinch weld for rust, which I'm pretty sure their drones won't do for you.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $125 using the old seal. The old seal are very durable. I had the glass shop re-do it because I didn't like the first new glass. Too many waves. My original seal was used again and again. Don't cheap out, go with the best quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: I missed one reply, sorry, yep $340 is a pretty good deal locally.

Atomatom is in Vancouver, Canada, which is not the land of the $150 installed windshield Wink

These guys had the best deal I could find ~3 years ago (in Langley):

http://www.paylessglass.ca/ ~CAD$320 installed, I supplied the seal.

Whoever you go with, make sure to tell them it's NOT an ICBC claim (I'm assuming it isn't). Some places will give you a hefty discount if you're paying out of pocket.

If anyone has a better price in the Vancouver area, let me know, as my wife's GL could use a new one.

Robyn
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the joy of insurance influencing pricing! Crazy that Canadians have to pay so much more. But then again, we need moose-proof glass up here!

Maybe I'll pick up some glass when I drive down to Bellingham in a few weeks. It is cracked, not shattered. Otherwise, might consider getting it shipped from rockauto to pt roberts is $200, and taxed on $120. Seems crazy/stupid though.

Most annoyed at myself for cracking it while changing the seal. Bah. It did have a white cloudy patch in the corner of the glass, so I'm going to tell myself this windshield *needed* to be replaced anyway. *sigh*
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I hit a big hawk on the freeway coming home from Vancouver a little over a week ago. Absolutely demolished the windshield right in front of the steering wheel, pushing it in 3-4" and showering me with shards of glass - not to mention the giant BANG!!! as it hit.

Called White Rock Glass as the owner is a neighbour and I used to have those guys do all my shower stalls etc. when I was renovating houses - the tinted (no band) PGW (PSW?) windshield is a piece of wavy garbage and the 'seal' is awful... It was an ICBC claim and was around $350.00 total.

I'll get a new German seal from CIP1 later this week, and Brent is looking for a better windshield, too. I'm glad he could do it in a hurry though, as it made it possible for us to go to Darrington this weekend! Wink

I'll update later.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the exact reason you should have a professional glazer do the job.
He breaks the glass?
Oh, so sorry --install another one.

How in the heck did you crack the glass by changing the seal?
Almost impossible.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're driving down anyway, schedule an appointment somewhere and get it fixed. Then if it breaks again, it's on them. They are readily available and it should only take an hour or two.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
the tinted (no band) PGW (PSW?) windshield is a piece of wavy garbage and the 'seal' is awful... It was an ICBC claim and was around $350.00 total.

I wonder if the windshield brand is the difference. I don't know what brand mine is, but it's optically great. Payless told me that the "insured" price would be north of $400. This was 3 (maybe closer to 4 now) years ago though. I haven't a clue what the cost of the raw windshield was; my bill wasn't itemized.

Robyn
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean you didn't get the hawk-proof coating? a shame, a shame!

TK - i shake my head and roll my eyes at myself for my window errors. it turns out that autoglass is very tough on the outside, but not-so-tough on the inside. i pushed it with my hand after rolling the seal back in one corner, thinking it would roll out, crack F%&#@&!!!!

the glazer option is all great except for wanting to deal with any rust under the seal - the main reason i was going in poking in the first place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: