Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is a decent price for windshield glass?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOF
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone ordered from VW Parts Department ?
http://www.volkswagenpartsamerica.com/parts/1990/V...WINDSHIELD

I'm curious about the quality, and how well the windshield antenna works...
and what's the logo etched in the corner look like ? I prefer the best I can get rather than the cheapest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Glass / Vanagon Reply with quote

I love this subject. LOF is long gone,now Pilkington. Check out the DOT # on that PGW glass, just do a Google search on that DOT or any DOT #. You will see that the PGW is Chinese made.
If those OE VW parts are available, I would go that route for sure its worth asking what it would take to get one. I would ask if they could tell you the DOT # before buying it.
Day in and day out I have been installing the FYG tint and shade and have had no issues. I am sure that the PGW is OK but it is Chinese just like the FYG . On top of it I do not care for a Blue shade on in a German car, easist way to make your Vanagon look like a Ford Aerostar.
As always opinions are worth what you pay for them.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilkington Libbey-Owens-Ford, the North American subsidiary of Pilkington plc, has changed its name to Pilkington. The announcement was made May 26, by Warren Knowlton, President, Pilkington Automotive Worldwide and CEO, North America, at a ceremony for employees outside the company's Toledo office.
Knowlton -- also one of the three Executive Directors of Pilkington plc -- said the name change was the final part of the company's initiative to build one global identity. The initiative, known internally as "Building One Pilkington," brings together Pilkington Group operations worldwide under a single name and corporate identity.

In making the announcement, Knowlton paid homage to the three founders of Libbey-Owens-Ford, Edward Drummond Libbey, Michael Owens and Edward Ford.

"Each made a significant contribution to the success of our company -- and made the city of Toledo the glass capital of the world it is today," he said. "Together their talent and untiring will to succeed created innovations and technologies unheard of in the glass industry. It laid the foundations not just for LOF but three other major and successful Toledo-based corporations."

Knowlton also noted that it was 70 years ago that the Libbey-Owens-Ford Company was formally incorporated.

The announcement brings retirement to one of the most glorius names in U.S. glass industry history. Libbey-Owens-Ford was founded 70 years ago in Toledo. It was acquired by he British-based Pilkington Group in 1986 and had been known in the U.S. as Pilkington LOF .
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess my collection of original VW glass is worth a mint eh?

Some of the complete sets, unchipped and that had the VIN# etched on each piece of glass was a sweet dealer option.

I now understand why my appraiser was so happy to see this feature on most of my vans Very Happy
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I now understand why my appraiser was so happy to see this feature on most of my vans Very Happy

They were happy to see it as an anti-theft device or making a vehicle less likely to be stolen, not so much as adding value to the vehicle per se, but maybe that is what you meant.
If anyone wants to do this, there is a kit for $25. https://vinetcher.com. I have no idea if it would be much of a deterrent on an older vehicle, but at least it is not a huge cost to do such.
On a slightly related note - Years ago, the police would loan you an etching tool to engrave your social security number on your TV, radio, etc, to make them harder to fence. Of course, the numbers could be ground off, so they were only useful in getting your stuff back to you of they found a van/room full of stuff before the numbers were ground off.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Glass / Vanagon Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
I love this subject. LOF is long gone,now Pilkington. Check out the DOT # on that PGW glass, just do a Google search on that DOT or any DOT #. You will see that the PGW is Chinese made.
If those OE VW parts are available, I would go that route for sure its worth asking what it would take to get one. I would ask if they could tell you the DOT # before buying it.
Day in and day out I have been installing the FYG tint and shade and have had no issues. I am sure that the PGW is OK but it is Chinese just like the FYG . On top of it I do not care for a Blue shade on in a German car, easist way to make your Vanagon look like a Ford Aerostar.
As always opinions are worth what you pay for them.

Stacy

Hey Stacy, can you give me a little more info on the FYG windshield? I recently had a PGW installed and its a piece of wavy crap.

I'd like to be able to point my glass guy in the right direction.

Thanks, Jake
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure fyg is the one I got and posted pics of. I'll install it tomorrow so will give a few more shots then.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<has anyone ordered from VW Parts Department ?
http://www.volkswagenpartsamerica.com/parts/1990/V...WINDSHIELD

I'm curious about the quality, and how well the windshield antenna works...
and what's the logo etched in the corner look like ? I prefer the best I can get rather than the cheapest.>>

Well, that $339.00 is not including the shipping cost from VW parts, & it's absolutley obsolete from any dealer.

So what do you tag onto that figure for the final cost?
$100.00?

Antenna's laminated into the glass historically don't work as well, and get poor reception in the boonies as a telescoping antenna would mounted on the cowl.

Plus the cost factor stinks.
I'd never pop almost $500.00 for any windshield, with a low reception antenna in it, genuine or not.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
I'm pretty sure fyg is the one I got and posted pics of. I'll install it tomorrow so will give a few more shots then.

Hey Atom, how does the FYG look when its installed? Does it look all ripply when you look through the open driver's door and out through the windshield on a bit of an angle?

Where are you in Vancouver? I live in Crescent Beach and work at the downtown Long & McQuade on Fridays and Saturdays.

We could compare Chinese windshields! Wink
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any windshield will have ripples when you look at it cross ways. what matters is how it looks when you are behind the wheel and looking through it.
Did you ever have cause to look at your old glass at that angle? Glass has to meet a DOT spec and distortin at certain angles are part of that spec .
I've had numerous people make the comment after a new glass is installed about the wave from that angle ,but what matters is the view from the drivers seat.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
atomatom wrote:

Hey Atom, how does the FYG look when its installed? Does it look all ripply when you look through the open driver's door and out through the windshield on a bit of an angle?

I'm yet to install it. I figured I should deal with a very small amount of rust in the frame, which turned into painting the van (oh that'll be quick - har har har) - and the window is still patiently waiting on the side. Hopefully back all together in the next couple of days though!

I'll post photos along when I have it in, from a few angles. Maybe the waves are some kind of corrective lens so I can drive without my glasses?!

Quote:

Where are you in Vancouver? I live in Crescent Beach and work at the downtown Long & McQuade on Fridays and Saturdays.

We could compare Chinese windshields! Wink

I'm on Bowen Island, but do come in fairly often. We could meet near the Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden eat a few apple dumplings from the New Town Bakery and look at the view (through the window)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a clean used windshield go for?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you buy 10 year old tires and run them on your car ? Most Used windshields are just that ,past their useful life.
If the glass was actually good ,it should be $100.00 installed .MAX .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Any windshield will have ripples when you look at it cross ways. what matters is how it looks when you are behind the wheel and looking through it.
Did you ever have cause to look at your old glass at that angle? Glass has to meet a DOT spec and distortion at certain angles are part of that spec .
I've had numerous people make the comment after a new glass is installed about the wave from that angle, but what matters is the view from the drivers seat.

Stacy

Thanks, Stacy.

I look through the windshield at that angle every time I get in the van - the car, too. I'm looking through the glass at an angle while I pull myself in with the steering wheel. I'm very sensitive to visual effects like that (ask my optician!) The last windshield was very good in that regard.

With the new windshield, from the driver's seat, I can get cars to 'change lanes' by moving my head sideways. Not good enough.

Jake
www.thebassspa.com
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Would you buy 10 year old tires and run them on your car ? Most Used windshields are just that ,past their useful life.
If the glass was actually good ,it should be $100.00 installed .MAX .

Stacy

Exactly how to you define a "useful" life on a piece of glass that is not chipped, cracked, mutilated?
Are you saying that all our original good windshields are no longer good and we should be replacing them?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes !

When they are pitted and the lamination is aging ,they lack their clarity. It makes it harder to see at night and the wipers do not clear as well.
Hop behind the wheel of a car that has had a new glass installed and see the difference.
It chaps my hide that people will do a complete paint job,a high end stereo install and fancy wheels and suspension and then put a beat glass back in it. You look through it every time you drive the thing.
Just because it is not broken does not mean it's not bad or past its useful life. Back to the tire analogy. Most windshields if they were tires would have steel bands showing through them.
Yes I make a living hustling glass,I admit it .But I also maintain my vans to a high standard ,fresh brakes ,properly working lights and safety items ,all plastic replaced with stainless and constant upgrades and maintenance.
I run two Syncro's and they are both updated as well as I can.

Just my opinion

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Yes !

When they are pitted and the lamination is aging ,they lack their clarity. It makes it harder to see at night and the wipers do not clear as well.
Hop behind the wheel of a car that has had a new glass installed and see the difference.
It chaps my hide that people will do a complete paint job,a high end stereo install and fancy wheels and suspension and then put a beat glass back in it. You look through it every time you drive the thing.
Just because it is not broken does not mean it's not bad or past its useful life. Back to the tire analogy. Most windshields if they were tires would have steel bands showing through them.
Yes I make a living hustling glass,I admit it .But I also maintain my vans to a high standard ,fresh brakes ,properly working lights and safety items ,all plastic replaced with stainless and constant upgrades and maintenance.
I run two Syncro's and they are both updated as well as I can.

Just my opinion
Stacy

Okay, I fully understand where you are coming from by this.
A piece of glass that is not pitted or not having any vision problems whatsoever is bad.
Considering that you can polish your glass with a buffing pad and a light paste of AJAX or Comet and basically resurface the the glass to a better surface your saying this is not doable or a good idea? Not to create an arguement, but just for info.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am due for a windshield change. Great to get info on glass types. I too was told that condition dependant, shops often reuse the window seal. I'll likely order a new seal from van-cafe.

FWIW to Vancouver folks, I called http://cheapautobody.ca/ re their craigslist ad for body parts. They put me onto a mobile glass guy. Have not used his services but recall his price was decent. Maybe the glass quality reflects this?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am not saying that if it has no pits or distortion that it is bad ,I am not saying that at all. its just that all to often when someone tells me that the glass is perfect ,it generally is on its way out. sure you could put used motor oil in your car but you wouldn't do it.
Go ahead clean it with Bon Ami and fine steel wool. If it looks good to you that is all that matters. Almost every customer that I put a new glass in for can nor believe how worn out their old one was.
Not trying to start an argument here ,just voicing my opinion on an open forum.
We all come here looking for Free advise and its worth what you pay for it .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: