Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mounting new fan
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Mounting new fan Reply with quote

This is for a doghouse fan.

So I got the new 35mm fan to go along with the new hub. The kit came with the hub, two spring washers and a new nut. I don't know why I need two washers. Online videos show him putting one flat washer on the hub, then the fan, then the spring washer then the nut. Any ideas? Do I 'sandwich' the two washers between the fan then put it all on the hub?

thanks,

crvc
Her74buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the main fan off the gen/alt that mounts to the fan shroud? It's something aftermarket if you are mounting it to the dog house.
If it's the former I would invest in a manual rather than trusting utube videos.
I can take a picture of the schematic in the manual if that helps. A lot of times you will see when you take apart the original you are replacing though, as long as it hasn't been hacked.
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's the 35mm fan for a 1974 engine. The fan sends air to the oil cooler through the doghouse. I just talked to the shop owner. He said don't use both spring washers. Put a flat washer on the hub, then the fan, then a spring washer then the nut. I guess the second washer is an extra.

crvc
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flat washers placed between the hub and the fan are used to adjust the gap between the fan and backing plate... one may be enough, might need two, might need three, gotta measure the gap to be sure. The gap should be about 2mm (needn't be precise). You really shouldn't need two of the thick spring washers, not really sure there'd be enough room on the hub to fit them both.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The flat washers placed between the hub and the fan are used to adjust the gap between the fan and backing plate... one may be enough, might need two, might need three, gotta measure the gap to be sure. The gap should be about 2mm (needn't be precise). You really shouldn't need two of the thick spring washers, not really sure there'd be enough room on the hub to fit them both.

Ditto
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crvc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried adding shims one-at-a-time but ran out of shims and knew I'd need some for adjusting the fan belt tension.

I ended up using both of the heavy spring washers. One was flatter than the other. I put that one on the hub first, then the fan, then the second washer then the nut. Before that I'd tried adding shims one-at-a-time but ran out of shims and knew I'd need some for adjusting the fan belt tension.

I found the whole reason for the problem was I forgot one of the three studs that the oil cooler attaches to. With only two studs securing it the cooler was at an angle which sorta bent the shroud. The shroud at an angle prevented the four 10mm nuts from securing the large plate that attaches the generator to the shroud. The warped shroud caused the fan to rub at the bottom where the cooling vent is.

crvc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: