Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

There has got to be a thread somewhere that covers " the secret method" for doing this but I can not get to the bolt to get the nut on no matter what - let alone start threading the nut on it. Clearly I must be missing something. The engine was already out when I started the project. Starter side, no problem, Oil cooler side - Well, I think I need a left-handed monkey. The engine went in like a piece of cake and three bolts cinched. The fourth is in another country. A lot different that a bug where you can reach from above and behind with the lid open . . .Thing experts Help please. Thanks
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine mount fastener on the upper driver's side is an M10 bolt which is installed from under the car. The bolt is inserted right behind the clutch arm into a threaded insert in the engine case. A 17mm swivel socket and a 12" extension makes it easy.
Here are some photos from the gallery:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is no access to this bolt from inside the engine compartment.

These are fun to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_s7x_etYgs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgSxzVr0qPc&lis...ature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ8oXfKW64k
http://www.justkampers.com/videos/watch/refitting_an_engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAb5uHnXgSU

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no nut to put on, it is just treads in the block. I take the left rear wheel off to get the bolt in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a Thing engine? Dog house style? Older Beetle engines needs a nut on the engine side.
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: I am a happy man Reply with quote

Yes it is a Thing engine and I feel stupid but I do feel happy. All 4 bolts are cinched. Thank you guys so much!!! Little did I know that when I was having to turn that bolt to get it to go in did I realize It was actually screwing into the engine. I thought it was just like the bugs. I am eternally grateful. THANKS. YAHOO
Johnthemann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this is perfect timing...I have ripped my garage apart looking for that 4th nut. I pulled the engine over a year ago and just now putting it back in..I even went to "No Value" and bought a replacement like the other 3 Shocked

I have changed a number of bug engines when I was a kid and I remember having 4 nuts...Live and learn. Thanks for the post!
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

What is the size/length of this particular bolt? Mine is missing.
Thanks
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Is this a Thing engine? Dog house style? Older Beetle engines needs a nut on the engine side.

What if you have a bug engine and you can't get there to put a nut on?
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

Getting at the engine bolt that's located inside the engine bay, behind the shroud, is a real pain.A socket/ratchet won't fit, so I had to use a wrench, but the wrench was too short to get enough leverage to loosen the bolt. I ended up duct taping a piece of pipe on the end of the wrench to get more leverage.

So I won't have this problem again I ordered am extra long 17/19 ratchet wrench.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

Did as Ron suggested above, removed driver side wheel. Easy access to reach in and install the invisible upper left engine/trans bolt.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

I’m going to add my stupid question to this, do both the driver’s side bolts go into a threaded hole in the engine block? Meaning neither of them need nuts?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
Ron Domeck wrote:

What if you have a bug engine and you can't get there to put a nut on?

Bug engines that came with a doghouse fan shroud also have the threaded insert. Older ones don't.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
I’m going to add my stupid question to this, do both the driver’s side bolts go into a threaded hole in the engine block? Meaning neither of them need nuts?

No, right side uses a nut. You can get your hand in forward of the fan shroud to start it.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

I got the passenger (right side) two nuts on, the lower stud and the upper bolt through the starter. I’m just asking about the upper and lower of the driver’s (left side) thanks.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
I got the passenger (right side) two nuts on, the lower stud and the upper bolt through the starter. I’m just asking about the upper and lower of the driver’s (left side) thanks.

Not sure what you mean, the lower on the left side is a nut on a stud, identical to the right side.

Upper one on the left side is a bolt with a threaded insert in the case.

Though it's not strictly necessary, I have found that removing the rear wheels makes reaching everything in that area much easier.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

I must have a different case, I think it’s a bus case. I only have one stud in my case, the lower passenger’s side. The other three are bolts
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Invisible, Upper left Engine/Trans bolt Reply with quote

Figured out the issue, apparently the PO has removed the driver’s side lower stud and just ran a bolt into the threads in the case. I didn’t realize that there are supposed to be studs on BOTH the lower mounts
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: