Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Awesome pics!!! The bus looks great, although I’m not sold on those rectangle fog lights just yet. 😜 Thanks for always sharing!

Thanks! The bus is actually filthy, covered in road salt and spray! Luckily it doesn’t show too much in the pictures. Big rinse and wash needed tomorrow.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Nice travel pictures - remind me to build in a heater system in mine Embarassed Till now only traveling to warm southern areas. Wink
(next year Norway - and if this works for my wife, than one year later Iceland)

richparker wrote:
... although I’m not sold on those rectangle fog lights just yet. 😜

They are VW standard at VW Europe and T2b with optional bad weather package Z01 including front fog lights VW part# 211 941 701 (made by HELLA).
Normally mounted on top of the bumper.
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools

Last edited by rsbadura on Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Great pics Phil!!!!

Did the diesel heater keep you comfy and warm? Wink
Be sure you take your time with rinsing/washing the salt out of every nook and cranny salt is nasty stuff that can do its job for years!
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Oh yeah and if you ever get your olive Bay from Australia use that one only during summer time please Wink

1970fun wrote:
Great pics Phil!!!!

Did the diesel heater keep you comfy and warm? Wink
Be sure you take your time with rinsing/washing the salt out of every nook and cranny salt is nasty stuff that can do its job for years!
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Absolutely stunning photo's Phil!

We're starting to plan for our Scottish road trip over christmas, get the route defined and see where our path goes Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Thanks Rolf-Stephan for the detailed reply about the fog lamps I wish I could have given! You probably know I have them wired as aux driving lights to come on with the high beam (and the rear fog light works as a third brake light).

1970fun (Harry). The heater was perfect! As you know, it’s too powerful really for mild weather, but the low setting took the chill off and the higher setting made it toasty, even at zero degrees and 50kph plus wind!
I thought I had run out of paraffin today, having used full power a few times but, when I checked the 5 litre tank, it was well over half full. Definitely better not to run the heater all night! I think I had hit the wrong switch and turned it off by mistake-fooling myself I was out of fuel
You bet ‘Olive’ will be kept away from the salt-summer camping only!

Mork, let me know what your plans are, and if you need any tips.

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I will do mate, thanks!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Our plan to use the Kombi over the winter hasn’t come to anything much since the trip to Skye but, we are hoping to go away for a week from tomorrow!
The first stop, to see friends in Perthshire has probably been scuppered by Covid in their family so, we will likely head to Shona’s sister in Blairgowrie for a couple of days with side trips to Dundee and then, if weather and everything else allows, head up to Ardnamurchan, the most Westerly point on the mainland…
Food has been bought, curry and chilli have been made and warm and waterproof clothing has been gathered against the elements.
The Kombi had a minor tune up, which just revealed the timing is sometimes sticking a little bit, so the distributor will get a service soon(ish). I did notice in the engine bay though, that the cooling flap control lever was in the ‘hot’ position. This had happened before when the hex nut got caught on the bracket but looking underneath, the bellows thermostat had blown. This is the second one from AwesomePowdercoat that has failed, although this one had lasted four years.
An hour or so, grubbing around underneath, ended up with a new (used) thermostat being fitted. Same temperature range. I don’t know why it was fitted to a Beetle/Ghia bracket? The hex nuts had different threads so I had to thread the control cable through the new hex nut. We’ll see how that goes!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

The other issue I noticed when I was underneath was that the exhaust has rusted through and there are little pieces of sooty evidence. I knew the exhaust was on the way out and I bought a stainless ‘stock’ one last winter but I was waiting ‘till it really failed. I haven’t got time to do it before we head off, so hopefully the holes won’t get too much bigger on the trip!

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I don’t think that leak is near any exhaust valves but if it is, idle the car down for a few minutes after a hot run to let the valves cool off a bit, and avoid being shocked by incoming cold air.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I don’t think that leak is near any exhaust valves but if it is, idle the car down for a few minutes after a hot run to let the valves cool off a bit, and avoid being shocked by incoming cold air.

Cheers. I think it’s ok in that they are at the far end of the silencer, but I’ll keep it in mind, especially if the holes grow or multiply!

Hoping for good weather and pics!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

We left home on the East coast later than planned, having loaded up huge amounts of food, warm clothing and cat paraphernalia!
We made it to the ‘lunch’ stop: the Royal Borough of Falkland in the Kingdom of Fife at about 2:30 and it was already getting dark, so we made the most of the light and went for a walk and finished the journey in the dark. Unlike the Skye trip, it is incredibly mild (7-8deg C) and so we hardly needed the heater. Shona’s sister is letting us sleep in the ‘Granny flat’ with the cat, so the Kombi is resting and ready for day trips today and tomorrow, and travel further North on the 1st…

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

How old is Spit , now , in Bus Years? (Hope I didn’t mix up the cat names again , swaddled in my two this morning )
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
How old is Spit , now , in Bus Years? (Hope I didn’t mix up the cat names again , swaddled in my two this morning )

You gave us a laugh Steve, although Spit is on the first page of this thread she is long gone! Medo, our current long-suffering kitty is nine now (I just checked with Shona!)
We are currently having a cup of tea in a rainy car park in Coupar Angus, on our way back to Blairgowrie.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

The New Year dawned as wet as the old one, Happy and healthy New Year wishes to everyone!
The early part of today we drove to Dundee on the river Tay to see Shona’s brother’s family. The sun did actually come out for a while before we set off North. It’s still very mild, so we had heavy rain rather than snow and we have ended up in a car park where the Caledonian canal ends at Loch Linhe. Windy spot but flat and we have had chilli, cheese and chocolate for dinner, washed down by beer and a mug of tea!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

So, on the drive up, I was probably asking an unreasonable amount from the alternator. Electrical devices on power were: full beam headlights, aux driving lights, wipers on full, cabin heating fan, fridge, 12v cool box and CD player. I noticed the dash voltmeter was reading about 12v and the digital voltmeter was 12.2v for main and leisure battery. I didn’t want to risk running the batteries down in the middle of nowhere and so I stopped and turned off the fridge (8A), CD player and the coolbox. Still needed the lights and wipers of course, but the voltage recovered to 13.7/13.8v. Glad I noticed!

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Hmmm

Lights wipers about 20 amps total
Fridge coolbox CD maybe 25 amps
House engine needs maybe 8 amps

TotAl 60 amps maybe? What’s your alternator rated at?

Hello, MeDo! Prrrrrrrp
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Hmmm

Lights wipers about 20 amps total
Fridge coolbox CD maybe 25 amps
House engine needs maybe 8 amps

TotAl 60 amps maybe? What’s your alternator rated at?

Hello, MeDo! Prrrrrrrp

I didn’t calculate it out, but I like your working! Makes sense because I bet it is a stock 55A alternator. Usually manages fine, but I sensed it was at the inflection point of not coping, hence turning a few non essential things off. The aux driving spotlights are prob 8-10A and we were on high beam almost constantly on the deserted road.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

We had a cosy night camping under our double duvet, but the rain was constant and the wind up to about 40mph! It was basically a public car park but we could just about see the boats on the Loch from the Kombi.
The rain meant that water was pretty much cascading over the road in impromptu waterfalls. Medo not impressed. We eventually reached the sea Loch at Lochailort for breakfast.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

So, further and further down the sea Loch coast, with some breaks in the weather for photos! I had to stop for the ‘Bus Stop’ sign!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 73

Jump to: