Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Onwards, onwards!
Next stop was the border 'toon' of Coldstream. Home of a famous guards' regiment and perched on the banks of the salmon fishing river Tweed. I thought the police station was pretty cool!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Next stop, Duns.
The farmer, local hero, Formula One World champion and Indy 500 winner Jim Clark was from near here and there is a small museum packed with memorabilia and trophies. It's due for upgrade next year and is a popular stopoff for classic car rallies. Today, the MG rally (and a lonely VW!)
I also took the chance to pressure wash the salt from the undercarriage Rolling Eyes !

THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Good stuff Phil. Thanks for sharing your journey!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

THall wrote:
Good stuff Phil. Thanks for sharing your journey!

Thanks Tim, I appreciate the comments Very Happy !

Last couple of pictures from the trip.
One last castle gate at Duns, simple lunch on the high moors and a reservoir/dam that I hadn't visited before, near Longformacus.
The Kombi is washed now, and tucked away in the garage.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, I always love it when I see your thread at the top of the recently updated threads.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
OrangeZA wrote:
Looks like you came across another Australian spec Type 2 Phil!

Lovely photos as always, thanks for sharing.

Correct, OrangeZA, I'm impressed! I forgot to mention that, how did you spot it?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

It was the louvers that allow air into the engine compartment that identified it as a Kombi built in Clayton factory, near Melbourne (which now appears to be the home of Domestic Australia PTY). The street outside the old factory is called Kombi Road Very Happy https://goo.gl/maps/izMYxYcQYp62
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Edit: duplicate post!

Last edited by mcdonaldneal on Tue May 02, 2017 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Thanks for posting, I always love it when I see your thread at the top of the recently updated threads.

Well, thank you Spike0180, kind of you to say so, and much appreciated Embarassed .

It's made me think, and I'd like to ask for a few moments of interraction from anyone who follows this thread (all three of you Wink)

I realise it's not a typical Samba thread, packed with technical tips to keep your VW on the road, fine tune your engine or help with your restoration. It started as a road trip/ travel thread and it seemed a good place for me to document all the day-to-day things that I do for the Kombi, and to record day trips and road trips. Over time, hopefully it shows the Kombi's transition from a sketchily maintained workhorse into a reliable companion for years to come, and my transition from a clueless amateur mechanic to... Well, to a slightly less clueless one.

I enjoy posting up the pictures, and it makes doing anything with the Kombi more fun, as I always have an eye for the next photo opportunity. I love showing off the scenery, history, culture and architecture of this part of the world, and I know it's fun for anyone who reads it to see somewhere different from where they live.
I suspect it's motivating too, to see an old VW out and about, if your restoration project or camper conversion hasn't quite reached the stage you would like (or life just gets in the way!) Rolling Eyes ?

So, questions for you (the answers might help me tailor the content, and no, I'm not about to turn it into a GoFundMe Wink !):
What do you like reading about best? Scenery, history, camping, car maintenance, cats, people etc etc? Should I cut out the car maintenance bits and just make it a travel blog? Do you want to read more description of what's going on?
Which photos do you like best, let's say from this last trip? It gets difficult finding inventive ways to include VW content to satisfy TheSamba gallery, so I sometimes feel it's a bit contrived! If you want to see other pics of things we do on our travels, I could think about remote hosting some of the pics, although I'm not sure how much hassle that would be. Do you want to hear photo tips for the good ones?

Or, should I just keep on keeping on?

Of course, I should say, a huge thanks to everyone who does comment on the thread. I would keep posting regardless, but it's great to be reminded that someone is out there, reading and enjoying Very Happy !

Cheers, and thanks for following!

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

Two of my favorites so far, I love seeing the old architecture and the history of the little European towns.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Well, thank you Spike0180, kind of you to say so, and much appreciated Embarassed .

It's made me think, and I'd like to ask for a few moments of interraction from anyone who follows this thread (all three of you Wink)

I realise it's not a typical Samba thread, packed with technical tips to keep your VW on the road, fine tune your engine or help with your restoration. It started as a road trip/ travel thread and it seemed a good place for me to document all the day-to-day things that I do for the Kombi, and to record day trips and road trips. Over time, hopefully it shows the Kombi's transition from a sketchily maintained workhorse into a reliable companion for years to come, and my transition from a clueless amateur mechanic to... Well, to a slightly less clueless one.

I enjoy posting up the pictures, and it makes doing anything with the Kombi more fun, as I always have an eye for the next photo opportunity. I love showing off the scenery, history, culture and architecture of this part of the world, and I know it's fun for anyone who reads it to see somewhere different from where they live.
I suspect it's motivating too, to see an old VW out and about, if your restoration project or camper conversion hasn't quite reached the stage you would like (or life just gets in the way!) Rolling Eyes ?

So, questions for you (the answers might help me tailor the content, and no, I'm not about to turn it into a GoFundMe Wink !):
What do you like reading about best? Scenery, history, camping, car maintenance, cats, people etc etc? Should I cut out the car maintenance bits and just make it a travel blog? Do you want to read more description of what's going on?
Which photos do you like best, let's say from this last trip? It gets difficult finding inventive ways to include VW content to satisfy TheSamba gallery, so I sometimes feel it's a bit contrived! If you want to see other pics of things we do on our travels, I could think about remote hosting some of the pics, although I'm not sure how much hassle that would be. Do you want to hear photo tips for the good ones?

Of course, I should say, a huge thanks to everyone who does comment on the thread. I would keep posting regardless, but it's great to be reminded that someone is out there, reading and enjoying Very Happy !

I say you should "keep on keeping on".

What an awesome thread and travel log of your adventures, long may it continue, love the cool photos you take, great looking bus as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

What an awesome thread and travel log of your adventures, long may it continue, love the cool photos you take, great looking bus as well.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Westfalia73 wrote:

Yep, I agree.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

THall wrote:
Westfalia73 wrote:

Yep, I agree.

X3, I like hearing the story and seeing the travels, but it is good to get a timeline of when issues did arise with your bus, and how long it takes to get them fixed.

I could do with or without the cat, but I'm a dog person so keep him included.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for that!
Bottom line seems to be that I'll carry on pretty much in the same vein. I'll maybe make an effort to be a bit more descriptive about the places and things that I post about, but otherwise I'll keep on with the mixed bag of topics that you get at the moment!...
Cheers,
Phil

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

You've made a couple of comments in this post in regards to how few folks post in your thread. I think The Samba is like Facebook in that people remember who "like" their post or comment in their thread. If people don't like or comment in their threads, they won't like or comment in yours. I say this because I don't see you commenting in other folks threads very often. I'm not sure you've ever commented in my bus refresh thread but I don't play that stupid "you never comment in my thread so I won't in yours either". Laughing

mcdonaldneal wrote:

My opinion, I wouldn't change anything. You maintenance bits provide an opportunity for folks to point out something to help you. I've learned a lot from others who've posted in my thread when I've added repair or maintenance information. I appreciate them correcting me or educating me and I try to do the same w/others in their threads too. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

You've made a couple of comments in this post in regards to how few folks post in your thread. I think The Samba is like Facebook in that people remember who "like" their post or comment in their thread. If people don't like or comment in their threads, they won't like or comment in yours. I say this because I don't see you commenting in other folks threads very often. I'm not sure you've ever commented in my bus refresh thread but I don't play that stupid "you never comment in my thread so I won't in yours either". Laughing

That's a very fair point Bill, and well put.
Incidentally, my comment about the numbers was meant tongue in cheek and was more about the the fact that you've no idea who's reading when you're in the black hole of a long thread!
You're right though, I am slow to post, probably because I still feel inexpert. I should get over it Very Happy !

I'll leave it at that, and get back to normal service.
I'm planning to adjust the rear brakes and hand brake tomorrow so, look forward to that Very Happy !
Phil

dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Hey.....I haven't got my 3 cents in yet. Boo hoo!

Just remember Phil that his is YOUR thread, not the what dasdachshund thinks Phil should write in a thread, thread. Keep doing what you're doing. I think I have mentioned that your pics are THE best on the Bay Forum by far and that they were the tipping point in me coming over and visiting; well that and meeting my hero, Mr. Boyd and the great time I had with the Boys from Killie, not to mention you and Shona's taking me in when you didn't know me from Adam.

Carry on.

Boo hoo! Wink Boo hoo! Dancing

-dasdachsund
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Cheers Gil.

Back to work.
My handbrake had stopped working and I have never touched the braking system myself (comes into the 'too scary' category!)
Bentley made it sound manageable, so with lots of jacking up and down, chocking and axle stands, to allow the wheels to rotate as needed I adjusted the rear drums first with the star adjusters.
Note to self: even if your handbrake isn't working, don't try to do this with the handbrake on, as you can't spin the wheels. Also, having the transmission in neutral helps Embarassed !
I had read somewhere that this step is a bit easier done from the 'outside' of the vehicle, putting the drum on and off to check for free movement. It certainly seemed better than crawling around under the bus.
There was a fair bit of brake dust in there, but seemed pretty clean, so I basically put it all back together as it was.
I did notice that the outer CV boot is badly torn Embarassed, so I'm guessing the next job is going to be a very messy driveshaft removal, inspection and regreasing. Another 'too scary' job, that I'm a bit anxious about Shocked .

On our late bay, the handbrake is adjusted from under the bus, and now works as it shoud. Yay.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I like your posts, it's great to see your Vw passion. I love the pics, always stunning. Keep on keeping on!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I'm kinda surprised that the transmission shop didn't address or notify you about the CV boot issue while the trans was out.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 73

Jump to: