Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Oof i think i leave my underseal in place Wink
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:
Oof i think i leave my underseal in place Wink

Good call Harry. It has given really pretty good protection where it’s solid, but there are some parts where it’s lifting off in sheets and they are rusty underneath. Worth bearing in mind if you inspect under the bus.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

That looks great.

I think you could just paint POR15 directly on top of that and it would be fine.

Will look great when you've done it. Planning to do similar on my Bay window but might wait for some warmer weather!
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

78 Westy purchased in Canada 15 yrs ago. It was Zebart type rust proofed apparently since new.
Once per year put it on my lift and scrape off the flaking undercoat which shows clean painted metal underneath. Wash with lacquer thinner, let dry and spray with 3M rubberized undercoating from spray can.
Works well for me, but do it once per year or water will get between flaking undercoat & body metal causing rust.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I would highly suggest looking at masterseries silver paint as your first coat. I've tried all the rust paint's and it is by far the best. 100x better than por15.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I’m making good progress removing the old underseal. I figure I’m best while I’m at it taking off as much as possible and it’ll get cleaned and re-undersealed at the very least.
This clip shows the pneumatic needle descaler in action. It just a quick first pass, but you can see how well it deals with the seal and leaves the paint. The volume is a bit variable because the tool is so loud!

Link

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Random progress photo while I was under there this afternoon!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Nice work Phil, that is a great tool wich makes it a lot easier than scraping by hand!!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

It so happened that I got another clip of the pneumatic descaler in action again (just in case anyone is considering buying one!)
This is the top of the rear wheel arch. You can see the surface rust that is hidden beneath the underseal. Not too bad.

Link

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Sadly, almost as I was on the last section of the whole underneath, I discovered the only really serious section of rusted metal. I guess it is a water trap between the two skins of metal, at the upper edge of the outer wheel arch.
I’ll cut out the damage, but I’m not sure what to do from here. It might be I could get a mobile welding service to weld a patch, or I could complete the underseal project and separately take the bus to a body shop some time next year. There is a restoration guy I have used before a couple of hours away, but we are in lockdown just now still, so it’s pretty academic!

You can see the rest of the under wheel arch is pretty solid once the old underseal is off.

jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Looks great. Nice to see nothing lurking underneath.

I'm going to do similar on mine in the spring. I'm so bored with lockdown this actually seems like fun.

I think I'll just leave mine painted and not underseal it. Currently my underseal is so flakey that it just holds moisture.

If I just paint it then once a year I'll just jetwash the underside, then take a look and touch up as required.

Did you look at electric needle de-scalers? I don't have a compressor. Maybe time to get one.

Cheers, Jake
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

That doesn't look too bad. Do you see any bubbling on the other side of those holes?

I could be wrong but I think the only way water can get to that point is down from a leaking side window seal.

Looks good otherwise. Congrats on all that work.
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Sorry in my last reply I hadn't seen those last photos. I think if that's the worst bit then you have done alright really. How many hours in total do you think it took with the descaler?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

How’s your weather in Bonnie Scotland? I think we have you in the snow department..... Laughing

First part of my projects will be finding them.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

jaket3 wrote:
Sorry in my last reply I hadn't seen those last photos. I think if that's the worst bit then you have done alright really. How many hours in total do you think it took with the descaler?

Yeah Jake. I’m not too distressed. It’s lucky that’s the worst.
I reckon about 10hours max with the descaler has done this first pass. I’m expecting the same again to wire brush and clean up before any rust treatment or primer. The descaler is moderately hard work so I did it in sessions of 1-2hrs (which was about my limit on the freezing garage floor anyway!)

deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Oh man... I recently finished removing the undercoating on my 78. I wish mine was as easy as that. Mine was all gooey which required scraping it off.

"pneumatic needle descaler" when I was in the Navy... we called them "needle guns"

P.S. Not sure if you did that descaling with your wife present, but mine almost killed me after using mine. It is so loud and she was working from home and it was driving her nuts. She couldn't wait to get back to work.

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy

Last edited by deepcflea on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
How’s your weather in Bonnie Scotland? I think we have you in the snow department..... Laughing

First part of my projects will be finding them.

That’s gorgeous! We almost never get lying snow as we’re on the coast but it was -6degC when I played golf on Sunday. The ball was bouncing like a kids rubber ball. Challenging!

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Damn Sad

Have you thought about contacting someone like FBI VW see if they have a wheelarch tub cut off any buses they have broke?
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Most of the work is not interesting enough to take pictures of, but an hour a day every now and again is having an effect!
You can see the general state of the main underbody here, the old underseal did a pretty good job...

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Slight change of subject. We’ve had a spell of freezing weather, and an eBay package of goodness arrived, so I investigated that.
On the advice of Samba member 1970fun, from the Netherlands I have purchased a Chinese made 2kw, aluminium bodied diesel heater. They can be bought incredibly cheaply, this was £125, and I was keen to get a good heating system into the Kombi for camping in the spring.
The heater comes pretty complete, but some things will need to be replaced or upgraded:
The 10 litre diesel tank is too large, I will go for 5-7 litre
The heater itself is good and pretty well put together. The aluminium casing seems robust. The fan spins very freely, which can be an issue. The fittings like fuel line clamps are better than basic quality.
I will upgrade the air inlet filter, the exhaust hosing and the fuel filter, maybe add a quick disconnect, so I can take the tank out to refill, and a priming bulb as these are much better manually primed to save wear on the pump.
I will use a full turret plate to pass the inlet and exhaust pipes through the floor of the bus.
The heater body fits snugly in the locker under the sink, and I think I will run the outlets under the rock and roll bed.
Anyway, pics...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 73

Jump to: