Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I’ve paused the underbody work, as I needed to fabricate block off plates and exit holes for the air intake and exhaust for the diesel heater. I want those to be in place before I paint and seal underneath. I’ve done them now and painted them up.
The heater also benefits from heavy gauge wire to avoid a voltage drop to the glow plug on start up, so I wanted to route a HD 4core cable to act as power for the heater and the fridge, and as a solid earth return to the battery to maximise the voltage. Overkill, but I had some spare cable from what I will use to renew the leisure battery loom to the front. Tracing the existing fridge wiring under our food cupboard revealed a huge potential storage space, so I will make a hinged lid and it can store emergency items.
I’ve created a new wiring run for the fridge and heater cable, next to the existing main loom and I will protect the hole with grommets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I also found this ticket under the cupboard, for a cave near Margaret River, in the far south-west of Australia! Further than we ever travelled when we lived in Melbourne, but it means the Kombi has done the epic trip across the Nullabor desert plain! Pretty cool!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Slow progress continues. Underseal is all removed and I’m on the final stages of 80/120 grit hand sanding. I’m happy that everything now looks pretty solid and I’m planning Eastwood rust encapsulation as a first coat and then u-pol Raptor rubberised underseal. I feel it’s within sight of the end (of preparation!)
I wanted to remove the brake hoses to get better access to paint, and to sand down the brackets. I used my previous trick of putting cling wrap over the reservoir cap, but it didn’t work as well as with the front hoses, and I did lose a fair bit of brake fluid! I’ve capped the end of the hard line with a plugged old hose.
There is a linking section of hard line running in front of the transmission, which I removed as well.
I hoped to find a date code on the hoses, but I don’t see anything definite. One has a random ‘77’, and one is completely unmarked. They may well be original, but one is stamped ‘W Germany’, which dates it to older than 1990, so at 30years plus, it’s time for a fresh set!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Getting ever nearer to paint!...
I had a deformed crossmember, presumably from someone’s attempt to use it as a jacking point-ouch! It must have been like that for over ten years so I’m assuming it isn’t structurally important, but I thought I would have a go at improving it cosmetically. I made a small brace to fit inside and used a club hammer to act as a deadweight behind while I hammered it flat(ter) with a hammer. I can’t pull through the underside, so I’m calling it good!
Last time I changed the fuel hoses to the tank I got drenched in petrol, which is not a good look! It was 7yrs ago I think, so I figured I would renew them while I had access. I had the bright idea of putting in a petcock/fuel tap, with fuel injection hose between it and the tank. I still got a bit of fuel up my arms, but hopefully I can change the filter and hose to the fuel pump without spillage now!
I have washed and degreased the whole underside now, so basically I think I am ready to mask up the bodywork, use rust treatment and then put on a coat of Eastwood rust encapsulator. Maybe it’ll be on the road for the end of lockdown?!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Finally, time for some money shots!
Yesterday I spent using POR15 metal prep/rust treatment on the whole underside, and then rinsing it off with a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol. I left it with heaters underneath to dry overnight.
First task today was a first pass with the Eastwood rust encapsulator. I had two full cans and a quarter full can. I wasn’t sure what the coverage would be like, so I went over the worst patches of treated rust first and then a light second coat over everything. This has used up my paint supply (as I thought it would) so I have ordered some more which should arrive in a couple of days.
I’m pretty pleased with the result. A nice looking coverage over the flatter middle section, back as far as the start of the rear arches, and mostly covered rear of there.
I’ve ordered enough to get a good base for the u-pol raptor underseal, and then I can start putting it all back together!

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Thats a hell of a lot of work there. Nice job. Your bus will be good to go for another 20 years now.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
Thats a hell of a lot of work there. Nice job. Your bus will be good to go for another 20 years now.

You’re right, it’s a massive amount of work, mostly in removing the underseal. I started at the end of November, so it will end up being five months or so, but only doing a few hours a week. I reckon it’s about as good as I could do without getting a garage involved to blast underneath, and so has been a fine ‘lockdown’ project.
I think it has prolonged the life of the bus, and will make me happier about using it for more of the year, which is a big bonus. Also, I have done some good side projects on the way, like refreshing the starter, installing the diesel heater, and some rewiring. I’m happy enough, but I won’t be doing it again in a hurry!

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

That’s 6000-8000 quid of work that would be hard to get done in a shop, and certainly wouldn’t be done with the attention to detail with which you did it.

This just underscores that these cars are saved only by the DIY enthusiast or the Uber wealthy.
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Finally after all that time consuming hard work this looks awsome Phil!!
And welcome to the diesel heater familly Wink
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Phil...you want to take the strain of that stopcock off the hose by attaching it on the frame. I might epoxy a block of wood fora mount to the metal, for instance.

That stopcock vibrating will slowly degrade the hose and loosen the clamps.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Phil...you want to take the strain of that stopcock off the hose by attaching it on the frame. I might epoxy a block of wood fora mount to the metal, for instance.

That stopcock vibrating will slowly degrade the hose and loosen the clamps.

Thanks, I’ll have a look. Actually, the hoses/fuel filter/stopcock form a nice arc between the fuel pump and the tank so there’s not too much strain, but I’ll see if there’s a good way to stabilise it all.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

After leaving the primer a day or so, I sprayed some basic black lacquer over items like the brake conduits, heater diverters and brake line brackets. The reasoning is that then I won’t have to ‘waste’ extra passes of the limited supply of underseal to make sure they are totally covered. Might not be needed, but no harm in it (no pictures I’m afraid). Then I used seam sealant in the rear wheel arches. I have ‘brushable’ seam sealant but I find it goes on best in pea-sized lumps, smeared into the seam with a gloved finger! It’s never going to look pretty. There are WAY fewer seams with sealant at the rear, compared to the front arches.
Lastly, a couple of pics of the old, incorrect mud flap brackets. I have just received new, correct ones for the Type IV engine, which will need a couple of holes drilled, but will be much more solid.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Urgh.
Had a bit of a nightmare with the first bottle of 2pak underseal. Instead of a nice, controllable spray from the Shutz gun, it spattered really badly and hasn’t covered all that well (apart from all my clothes and the garage floor!)
I didn’t warm it up before mixing, as I was hoping that would give me longer before it started solidifying, but actually it was way too thick. Unfortunately, having started, there wasn’t a lot I could do, so I spattered a coat over the central section. It’s not quite as bad as it looks.
I will try again tomorrow on the wheel arch after warming it up and see how that goes. Hopefully it will be a lot better! I have two more litres of black and I also have extra of the tintable, which I might be able to use without adding the colour element.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

So, I tried again with the Shutz gun, this time warming up the underseal before mixing it. It sprayed a little better, but I’m still not happy. Very messy job, with a substance that is impossible to remove when it cures! You can see the mess it makes of clothing.
I have reverted to brushing it on this evening, which is slower but much more controllable as long as you only mix up about 50ml at a time so you can get it on before it thickens! I’ll maybe have progress pics later.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

Revenge of the Body Snatchers??? Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Not many pictures recently, but I have been making great progress. After I abandoned attempts at spraying on the underseal, I decided to brush on, mixing about 40ml at a time which just gives you time to get it on before it gets too thick. So, in many, many small sections I got the underneath coated. Actually, before I did that I sprayed Matt black aerosol all over, which made things look a whole lot better but it matches the underseal so well it made the whole thing look pretty good. I have more or less finished now, so I’ll put up the pics for my own record before I start putting everything back together again. I can’t recommend it as a job, it’s taken five months of steady work, but I’m happy with the result.
This is the wheel wells and the rearmost sections, as well as views from the rear forwards:

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Also, up around the heater diverter box (I have only sprayed Matt black forwards of this, as I did the underseal last winter but some of it was orange and I didn’t like the colour!)

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

And finally, the view looking towards the rear of the bus. I can see a couple of patches I have missed, but I will just touch those up with the aerosol as I think they were too awkward for the brush:

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

For comparison, these pics from November!

mcdonaldneal wrote:

Ultimately, the aim is to strip off underseal as much as possible, especially the wheel arches, treat the rust and prime and fresh underseal.
It will take a while I’m guessing!

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Looks great!!!

Here in America we can get under coating in aerosol cans. That’s what I use on my bus. I don’t want to post a picture of my boss on your thread, so here’s a link to a couple of photos, I had similar results.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1915562.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1911451.jpg
’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 56 of 72

Jump to: