Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Medo has a slightly annoying habit of jumping into the prewarmed space every time you get out of the van for anything. We did see a couple of other campers when we stopped for coffee, but not many! The picture (and the video) don’t quite show how terrible the weather is!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Another short video clip of the waterfalls on the road up (and the cat!)

Link

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

We are able to stay in one place for a couple of days, so the Kombi gets a rest! I did have a tinker in the engine bay to check the oil, chokes and timing advance (it seemed a bit sticky before we left). Everything was fine though, so we were able to take a day trip in another car.
We can see the Kombi from the bathroom window and, looking the other way is a splendid view to Tobermory on the Isle of Mull. We went for a long walk and visited the lighthouse (with foghorn!) at mainland Britain’s most Westerly point.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Medo has a slightly annoying habit of jumping into the prewarmed space every time you get out of the van for anything. We did see a couple of other campers when we stopped for coffee, but not many! The picture (and the video) don’t quite show how terrible the weather is!

Link
trust me, it's a CAT THING... We have a Tabby that instantly moves to where you just were laying on the bed, once you get up. After all, you DID warm up that space for them as 'directed'.... Wink
'Good Human"..... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

You’re right of course jlfrtype7. I’ll just have to live with it!
The Kombi has been standing still for a couple of days while we have done a few local walks, luckily finding gaps in the atrocious weather (if you can call being caught in a 45mph hailstorm a ‘gap’ in the weather!)
We finally left just as it was getting dark (4:30pm) and have travelled across on the Corran ferry and driven through Glencoe in the dark. We’ve set up a stealth camp in a hotel car park, so hopefully won’t get moved on!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

A couple of short videos as we were leaving. I can hear the hole in the exhaust now, and in the second video I suspect the choke is stuck on too rich!
I don’t know why the thumbnails for the videos aren’t loading!?

*edit: managed to sort the video previews (for now!)

Link

Link

Last edited by mcdonaldneal on Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

You can loosen the screws and open the choke by hand to fix that for a drive.

Make a sharpie mark so you can return it closed for a cold start.

Does that phone booth still work or is a Tardis?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
A couple of short videos as we were leaving. I can hear the hole in the exhaust now, and in the second video I suspect the choke is stuck on too rich!
I don’t know why the thumbnails for the videos aren’t loading!?

https://youtube.com/shorts/-mU3P2dZf5w?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/8L5itQIfkK4?feature=share

I’ve come across the same issue. For some reason YouTube “shorts” don’t work with me he sambas tags. Also, I don’t like how YouTube changes your upload to a short even though you didn’t upload it that way. They have changed several of the videos on my channel to shorts. 🤬

I understand your frustration with the exhaust leak. I was battling one before we left for our trip to Southern California. I thought for sure I had a fixed, then 20 miles into the trip I got a backfire and throughout the trip it became worse. When I got home I took off the heat exchangers and had flanges welded to them to eliminate the donuts. I should’ve just done that when I built the engine to begin with.

Thanks for always sharing, I always enjoy looking at your pictures. The third brake light looks nice and bright!

Safe travels!
’65 Deluxe Build
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You can loosen the screws and open the choke by hand to fix that for a drive.

Make a sharpie mark so you can return it closed for a cold start.

Does that phone booth still work or is a Tardis?

Sure, I could but the chokes are actually working pretty well. I’ve adjusted them for the current cold weather and slowed the opening to about 6-7mins from cold which has been good. I don’t know what was going on in the video but sometimes my choke butterfly does stick, so maybe it was too lean?
We had a similar (but opposite!) issue today when we stopped for coffee. It was below freezing and blowing a gale enough to rock the bus about. When we went to start, she just wouldn’t catch, like the engine was flooded. This lasted for several start attempts. My theory on that one was that the wind blowing into the vents had cooled down the chokes and shut the butterflies but the engine was still warm. I may have reflexly pumped the throttle too, which didn’t help! I thought we would end up stuck there, but I waited a bit and started on no throttle and it caught.
Generally speaking though, it’s not an issue at all!

Back to your other question, the picture is of a very rare (nowadays) fully functional red telephone box! Most have been converted to mini libraries or defibrillators or cash machines, but that is a super remote beach!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

I’ve come across the same issue. For some reason YouTube “shorts” don’t work with me he sambas tags. Also, I don’t like how YouTube changes your upload to a short even though you didn’t upload it that way. They have changed several of the videos on my channel to shorts. 🤬

I understand your frustration with the exhaust leak. I was battling one before we left for our trip to Southern California. I thought for sure I had a fixed, then 20 miles into the trip I got a backfire and throughout the trip it became worse. When I got home I took off the heat exchangers and had flanges welded to them to eliminate the donuts. I should’ve just done that when I built the engine to begin with.

Thanks for always sharing, I always enjoy looking at your pictures. The third brake light looks nice and bright!

Safe travels!

Thanks for the comments richparker. I’m hoping to change the exhaust as soon as I get home. Luckily, it’s hardly audible!

I love the third brake light, a repurposed fog lamp, cool!

I think I have solved the YouTube shorts issue, which was really annoying me. It happened because a vertical video less than a minute automatically uploads as a low quality ‘short’. The video link is in there though. The two pics below should show the different link formats. I’ve edited the original post. (Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about this sort of thing!)

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

So, this Winter’s experiment with cold weather camping has had its ups and downs. I have realised that not everyone shares my enthusiasm for sub zero camping in wild hotel car parks, expressly prohibiting overnight stays where it’s too windy to put the top up and we arrived later than ideal for our (slightly random) dinner of eggs, cheese and smoked salmon… The cat was obviously feeling the cold too, as she resolutely stuck like a limpet on the warm nest she had made on my chest, despite my efforts to change position overnight!

The wind really did strengthen overnight, but luckily the snow didn’t start until we set off! The snow in itself wasn’t too bad but the savage crosswind did make things a bit hairy at times. We had planned to visit a friend in her very remote house in the Trossachs, but she messaged to say that the access road was snowbound and so we made the sensible decision to head home instead.
On the plus side, it meant I had time to pressure wash underneath and the Kombi paint work, and back it into the garage, ready to look at the exhaust soon!

Link

Link

Link

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Winter camping in Scotland , that’s a tough couple of folks there. I’m swaddled in 2 stone of cats now in bed as we let our heat go to 55F at night!

One if your telephone boxes ended up with us in port Jefferson NY on our Msin street.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

The fun of the camping trip is over, so it’s time for some garage work!
The exhaust silencer has been rusty since at least five years ago, when I had a hole patched and painted with POR high temp paint. It has finally disintegrated at the lower seam, with a few blowing holes so, time to replace it. I had taken the gamble of a stainless, stock looking replacement that I got from a European supplier. ‘Jopex’ brand, who knows what quality. I am having a port for the AFM welded into the tailpipe before I install.
Removal of the old silencer was a PITA. Took two days, with heat and penetrating oil. Still snapped two of the six bolts and a spanner! The curved obstruction spanner worked well (with a club hammer!) to remove the top bolts.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

The heat exchangers were also rusty and painted five years ago, and one has developed a small hole in the outer skin. It seems that there is only one brand available as a repro replacement but I had the genius idea of putting the German word for ‘heat exchanger’: ‘ Wärmetauscher’ into my search engine and came up with a NOS (not VW) set for the same price from a vendor in Germany. Who knows, they may even be the same as the Dansk ones, but I thought it was worth a try and I have ordered them. I’ll probably fit the exhaust in the meantime and deal with the HExs when they arrive. I’m tempted to media blast and paint with high temp POR before installation.
Pics from the vendors website.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Heat , cool….heat cool….heat cool…at least 5 cycles on exhaust nuts.

Force will always break stuff. You need to break the bond between nut and stud before torque is applied.

You can get a small O2 mapp blowtorch for about $50 now. It gets much hotter and also gives a pinpoint flame for better control

Despite all your years in School, your functions in life are…

Bring food for the cat
Warm up spaces for the cat
Amuse the cat
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Heat , cool….heat cool….heat cool…at least 5 cycles on exhaust nuts.

Force will always break stuff. You need to break the bond between nut and stud before torque is applied.

You can get a small O2 mapp blowtorch for about $50 now. It gets much hotter and also gives a pinpoint flame for better control

Despite all your years in School, your functions in life are…

Bring food for the cat
Warm up spaces for the cat
Amuse the cat

Yeah, I’ve broken enough bolts, I thought I was being careful! These were bolts, rather than studs and nuts and I was really taking my time. Heat/cool etc etc. the nuts were actually turning back and forward and I was heating more and adding penetrant. In reality, I probably got impatient, knowing the silencer was for scrap anyway! No biggie.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Was welding the holes closed in the HE not an option?
’65 Deluxe Build
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Was welding the holes closed in the HE not an option?

I need to have a better look at it, it’s possible they could be patched. My concern is how much surface rust there was five years ago when I painted it last.
Likely what I’ll do is nurse the current exchangers on for as long as I can but I was looking for an excuse to get replacements anyway.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

It’ll be interesting to hear review of the HE you bought. I’ve found all the aftermarket T1 exchangers are a lot lighter and do not produce the same amount of heat as the originals did. Wonder how yours will be.

I’d install everything new at once. Why not?
’65 Deluxe Build
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I tried to find online how much the HExs weigh, so I can compare when the NOS ones arrive. All I could find is that Mayor Ratwell has a post saying they weigh 17-19lbs (-8.6kg). I don’t know if that is the originals or reproductions.

If anyone has a heat exchanger lying about I would be very interested to know the weight, especially the Dansk vs VW originals!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 66 of 72

Jump to: