Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:
Hi Phil,

Check if the joints are whitin specs and keep them if possible! because the majority of aftermarket balljoints are way to stiff and that makes driving a hell
especially if you replace all 4 at the same time!
Ask me how i know Sad

Ok Harry! Thanks for the tip, maybe I should look at whether I can get boots, and it sounds as though I should not renew the good side (if I can avoid it)!
Cheers,
Phil

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I used these guys for the proper gaiters, these have 2 folds most repro gaiters have 1 fold.
If your joints are close to the wear limit i would still use them, clean/rinse the old grease out and repack them again mount new gaiters and your ready for the next 20 years.
Had a lot of trouble with febi billstein joints, and found 4 NOS joints that have to wait till my 1970 (repacked/new gaiters) ones wear out

https://busok.nl/fuseekogelhoes-set-t2-top.html
Mr Beckstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Love the thread which I’ve only just discovered and will be reading through the 40 pages as I get time. Although I notice it’s been a while since your last past so hope all is okay.

I have noticed your ride is very similar to mine and a little unique. That is, 2L twin carb with automatic gearbox in a campmobile. Here’s a link to Harry’s thread in case you find it useful.

https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/harry-1976-ca...tic.55386/
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Mr Beckstar wrote:
Love the thread which I’ve only just discovered and will be reading through the 40 pages as I get time. Although I notice it’s been a while since your last past so hope all is okay.

I have noticed your ride is very similar to mine and a little unique. That is, 2L twin carb with automatic gearbox in a campmobile. Here’s a link to Harry’s thread in case you find it useful.

https://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/harry-1976-ca...tic.55386/

Thanks Mr Beckstar, glad you like the thread. It’s like a mixture of a personal diary of our adventures and some kind of blog!
You’re right, I haven’t posted for a while. I’ve spent the Winter doing a (very slow!) overhaul of the steering, suspension and brakes, where I’ve learned a lot and should get finished this weekend
Kombi front end rebuild...

We have a few trips planned already for this year, the next is in a couple of weeks, so I had to work hard to get back on the road for that deadline! Then the thread will ‘go live‘ again.

Thanks for the link. Good to see another Melbourne Kombi, I’ll have a read through when I get time!
Cheers,
Phil

Mr Beckstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Cheers Phil! Very Happy Very Happy
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Ive just spent the past couple of evenings reading your thread and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Its good seeing the bus used like you do, thats what life is all about isnt it Smile

One thing it has emphasised is Scotland. We plan to do the NC500 when our Westy is finished (more room than Gusbus, he's a kombi) and have a good explore around and wild camp when possible.

Keep up the good work with your bus and you never know, our paths may cross one day!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
So glad you enjoyed it, thanks!
Now we’re back on the road after a long job sorting the undercarriage, we’re heading away this weekend to camp at a monastery in Dumfriesshire, so I’m planning on restarting the travelling thread!
Scotland is amazing, I’m not from here (I think I told you my dad was from Notts!) but I love everything about the place! Ive driven the the NC500 before it was ‘a thing’, but it’s on our list to do it with the Kombi! I love your thread, and maybe we will catch up some day? Take care.

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Youre welcome Phil!

Yes you did indeed mention your Dad was from Notts, Mansfield wasnt it.

The weather is going to be great this easter weekend, Dumfrisshire sounds nice - my great grandma was from Dumfries, her name was Jean Armour (her grandad was Robbie Burns wife Jean's brother).
We are heading to a place called Reedness on the banks of the Ouse for a couple of nights so I might take the camera and get some photo's posted up Smile

I'll let you know when we do have plans to head north but in the meantime, happy and safe travelling!
- 180W Solar System

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

This weekend we’re heading off for a four day ‘retreat’ at a Buddhist monastery. I’ve no idea what to expect, but they have a field where we can park the Kombi, so we are taking the cat!
This morning was spent just getting the necessary luggage into the bus, and we will head off soon. The forecast is for fine Spring weather, lm really looking forward to it.
There’s no phone reception there, so I’ll take pictures, but they might not get posted until we return on Tuesday!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

So we have arrived at Samye Ling monastery after a very scenic drive along miles of single track roads with passing places. Fresh baked bread and homemade soup for lunch. We should have an Instagram blog! (You know that’s not happening?!)
The ‘campsite’ is really a gravel car park, but we have a good spot and as we arrived a camper with a dog was being asked to leave as no animals are allowed. Hopefully they won’t notice (or will overlook) the cat?!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Having a very chilled time!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

We had a great weekend away. The weather was absolutely stunning, the hottest recorded Easter Sunday in Scotland! The temperatures really dropped overnight though and the cat was trying to squeeze in between us to stay warm! We were barely warm enough, under a duvet and blanket, but any limb sticking out felt frozen!
Meals were provided, but we had plenty of teas, coffees and snacks in the Kombi. It was great to be out camping again. As I said, our campsite was not scenic-a gravel car park, but the surroundings were stunning, next to beautiful woodland and wild streams and moorland with lots of new-born lambs!
I stopped on the way home for a few pictures; the small harbour at Port Seton, the gatehouse at Gosford, the ancient Kirk (church) at Aberlady and the dunes and golf course at Gullane.
I particularly liked the small road sign above the Kombi at the church!

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

LOVe the sign , but they spelllled bbuusssseess wrong!

Lovely story of delightful people enjoying life and cat, without all the model titillation. ( although you and the MRS are Both nice on the eyes!)
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
LOVe the sign , but they spelllled bbuusssseess wrong!

Lovely story of delightful people enjoying life and cat, without all the model titillation. ( although you and the MRS are Both nice on the eyes!)

Thanks! You made us smile, and we’ll take it as a compliment!
The humans try not to feature too heavily in the thread, but sometimes we sneak into view!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Another weekend, another camping trip!
This time I’m going solo, not even a cat for company!
Friends have organised a golfing trip to Northumberland, in the North-East of England. I’m going down a day early, hopefully to catch some fine weather and take the scenic route.
Last minute (most of the morning!) job was to adjust the rear brakes. The handbrake adjustment was way out at 10clicks or so, and I had the feeling the rear brakes weren’t contributing much at all. I went for the technique: screw the adjusters tight, stamp on the brakes, let the adjusters out a couple of clicks, repeat. We’ll see how that goes.
Interestingly, the paint on the front disc/hub has burned itself off near to the disc. Some folk recommend heat resistant paint, but I had just used bog standard black glosss spray paint. No worries!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I’m well on the way now.
I’m pleased to say the brakes feel much better after adjustment, and no sign of them heating up.
I’ve come a wild route across the Lammermuir hills towards the border with England. Weather is bright but very windy, roads are very narrow at times, scenery generally stunning though!

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Love the gorse....look Nature copied your Van..I mean, Bus.

I do hope a Fluffy is all right. I have five animals all in their twilight. It’s going to be a rough 5 years pet wise.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I do hope a Fluffy is all right. I have five animals all in their twilight. It’s going to be a rough 5 years pet wise.

My heart goes out to you with that, they leave huge holes when they go Sad. After a run of 20 years and 8 dogs, the last one did me in. I'm still not ready to go there again. The better half is hinting about a Frenchy. Will see...
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

The cat will enjoy the weekend at home! She would have ended up being in the Kombi for hours during the day (and I plan some social time in the evenings!)

I’ve now arrived at the campsite. Basic, but fine. Sadly, they aren’t serving food (it’s a pub called ‘The Shepherd’s Rest’) but I have emergency provision in the bus, or I can walk into town. I’m in Alnwick, and the castle here is where they filmed a lot of Harry Potter.
It’s castle country here. I came past loads, but got some pics at Dunstanburgh and Bamburgh, as well as a cute harbour and an old AA box I’ve stopped at before.
I’m just having a cuppa (tea) and then I’ll decide what to do about food!

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

We loved Bamburgh Castle, Seahouses and Bednall Bay, another stunning part of the country.

Enjoy Smile
- 180W Solar System

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 73

Jump to: