Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

I recently had my bus painted and ordered the one piece gasket for the rear engine compartment from Wolfsburg West. It fits in the body beautifully, but the problem is the rear door will no longer close. I have the latch catch on the engine compartment moved all the way forward, but no amount of pushing will get the door latch to connect and close. I'm stumped on what to do to remedy this problem.
The gasket is a pretty firm rubber vs the gasket around the rear hatch to the interior. That particular gasket is pretty soft and. pliable.
If anyone has any thoughts about how to remedy my problem please let me know. I'm not sure is there is a different gasket that is not as thick and "stiff" that is available?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:
......I have the latch catch on the engine compartment moved all the way forward,........

Try moving it all the way to the back and report back with the results. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

No, still impossible to close. Here are a couple pics

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

Are there any vent holes to let the air out of the center when compressing? If not drill a few where the hatch wont cover them
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

I tried both of these suggestions and neither worked. I can't believe I;m the only person to have this problem. I'm stumped on what to do to fix it. I'm still wondering if another company makes a seal that might either be thinner or made of a softer material? As i mentioned, the old seal on the rear door to the interior is a softer rubber.
Not sure what to do at this point.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

You’re not the only one.

The rest of us are just busy driving our late buses with shredded and leaky hatch seals.

For anything meaningful to change, we could try holding our parts shops accountable, but that would require them to listen and respond to our concerns without getting defensive and denying responsibility.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

I’ve had the issue too, I just slam it shut and eventually it gets better
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

Adjust the striker plate?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

weird the 68-71 seal I just got from wolfsburg west is really soft

the one that came with the bus from CIP that was 20 years old was hard as month old Twizzlers

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

Try loosening the hinge scews, there is usually a little wiggle room, pull back and tighten them. With max latch/catch clearance try closing the lid slowly, if you still need more the catch (part mounted to body) can be massaged back with a hammer, that is gently with the blows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

Just a thought - warm the seal with a hair dryer, then close it.

It may close and compress the seal over time.

I know my aftermarket seals are bad. I have to slam my passenger door so hard to close it, it's nuts.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
weird the 68-71 seal I just got from wolfsburg west is really soft

the one that came with the bus from CIP that was 20 years old was hard as month old Twizzlers

I've been working on some current projects on my bus for over two years and it turns out I don't remember where I ordered it from. I called both Wolfsburg and Bus Depot and neither have record of me ordering it. So it's a mystery where I got it.

I went ahead and called Wolfsburg back and they confirmed that there's is a softer "foam feeling" rubber. So I just ordered a new one and I'll give up on the one I have.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

Out in the market place there are hard black seals and soft greyer seals.
With a hard seal it will never give enough to close easily.
Complain to WW as they are selling crap.
Over here in the UK the usual way to tell is the same place will sell two choices, one less expensive than the other.

The more expensive one is usually the softer/good greyish rubber one.,

But for e.g front door seals you also get the choice of the Brazilian one that does not fit the same (needs lots of contact glue), but is extremely cheap (and soft and greyish) costing £25 compared with £100 for the correct fit soft rubber part. From that vendor the hard black one was about £50 AFAIR..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

The Wolfsburg West version arrived. And a reminder, I was mistaken about buying the other one from WW. I had them and Bus Depot check to see if I ordered it from them and I didn't. So at this time I don't know where I got it.

The first one is superior in many ways to the WW version. It's a one piece design with 90 degree corners and it fits in the channel perfectly. You wouldn't even need to use adhesive on it if you didn't want to. The problem is it's just too darn big. Nothing I did helped.

The WW version is simply a long strip of weatherstripping with no corners. Just one long piece. It's the grayish softer rubber. It also fits in the channel well and barely is higher than the actual channel. When test fitting it you discover a couple challenges. What exactly do you do at the corners? And, when you fit it in the channel it's about 1 foot short. So it's clear that it needs to be stretched as its being installed.
I considered cutting a V in the corners to see if it would make the turn better, but in the end I just opted to stretch it around the corner.
I got some weatherstrip adhesive and began the installation. One of the challenges is that it's hard to know just how much you should be stretching it to successfully have the two ends meet. I didn't stretch enough and it left about a 4 inch gap at the top. I may or may not add some rubberish weatherstrip I have to fill the gap.

So the WW version does work, but it's not nearly as professional looking as the black one piece that is too thick. The WW version is almost too thin. Had to move the striker plate all the way back. It barely compresses the wstrip when closed.
But at least it works. Glad to move on to the next task.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch - Engine - 74 Bus One Piece Weatherstripping Reply with quote

I think I would call them, unless you bought a different one, it should have the formed corners, as per their website

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211827711C

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: