Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Westfalia front door panel and seat cover color questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mai Tai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: 1971 Westfalia front door panel and seat cover color questions Reply with quote

Aloha! I've done several searches on this particular topic here in the forums and elsewhere, and haven't found the specific information that I'm looking for on interior colors for my bus.

I have had some major work done on my 1971 Westfalia pop top camper bus, including rust repair and metal work, paint, rebuilt engine, electrical, brakes, rebuilt canvas pop top, the list goes on. I want to replace the front door panels and the front seat covers. It's my understanding from a couple of friends and the people at Wolfsburg West that the colors to choose from for the front door panels are beige, black, grey, ivory, or tan, and the colors for the front seat covers are beige, black, grey, ivory, tan, or brown. And the door panel color should match the seat covers - I say that because my door panels don't match the seats. I've attached a couple of pics.

I'm assuming that my seat covers are grey, but what color is the door panel, is it beige or tan? A friend said he's fairly certain it's not ivory, because ivory would be a lighter color.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And are there any recommendations on the colors to use, like what might have come from the factory? My bus is two tone Pastel White and Niagra Blue. Were there any particular door panel and seat cover colors that would have been specific to a 1971 VW Westfalia pop top camper bus, and/or this particular exterior paint color combo?

The seat covers should be the basket weave material, right? I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to VW stuff, but I'm learning, I would prefer to avoid black if possible, because it gets too hot, but I want to do this right, so I'd use black if necessary. I appreciate any info and wisdom you peeps can pass along! Thanks in advance!
-Bill
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia front door panel and seat cover color questions Reply with quote

Everything you describe makes no sense, how about a picture of your M plate?, it's painted body color and riveted to the front of the bulkhead behind the LF seat.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia front door panel and seat cover color questions Reply with quote

your door panel is beige but that seat is wrong

it's for an earlier deluxe, not a camper

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia front door panel and seat cover color questions Reply with quote

But the exterior colors sound deluxe and non camper, and none were ever combined with those interior colors. Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Westfalia front door panel and seat cover color questions Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm not at home or I'd look in my notebook... They're beige IIRC.
The M-Code will just say Westfalia Campmobile... for interior color of doorpanel and seat covers, they were all the same for 1971. Yet, ailibaster (sp) is what is in the tech section for the original VW interior colors.(for seat covers)

Edit: After reading your question again. Your door panels and seats cover colors seem to be correct for an 71 Westfalia. The panels and seats are different colors as they left the factory (they are not matching colors) your friends and WW are wrong.
Check out post and pictures from members richparker, and 71WhiteWesty, their panels and seats are not color matching. Or, take a look at the second page of my photos posted in gallery. It will show the none matching colors. And, my bus is an all original survivor...
Hope that helps and isn't more confusing. Let's see some pictures of your bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: