Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

How does this flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc look to you?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This would have been replaced in 2005 at the latest, which is about when it was parked. To my eyes it looks basically unused. I bought a new Sachs kit, but this current one is actually made in Germany. Would you just button this back up and run it, or would you swap out to the new clutch disc and pressure plate? I'm for sure replacing the throw out bearing as it does make some noise when I spin it.

If I replace, I assume I need to get the flywheel resurfaced? I don't see any specs on minimum flywheel thickness. Anyone have it?
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

you start with a 7mm open end wrench, see if you can get around the end of the friction surface of the clutch disc. If you can lift it off the workbench using just the open end wrench, it has miles left.
As for that blued stuff, personal preference, try sanding it off with 120-140 grit any sandpaper you want, you are trying to take the 'checking' off. (there will be persistent streaks of blue/black checking under all that heat-induced bluing you see). Try to sand it with coarse grade, then if you find success, go to 220 & then emery paper. Finish with brake cleaner. Check the rivet head depth on the clutch disc too. If it's less than 1.5mm you are about to waste your labor throwing this back together as is. Also throw-out bearing: if it sounds remotely coarse or dry, any other T/O bearing you can lay your hands on, please.
But it's your baby, if you don't mind peering in there again in 4-8k, knock yourself out.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

So that’s about a 20 year old clutch. You have a brand new one in hand. Considering the trouble to maybe have to pull the engine back out and replace it I think I’d put the new parts in and call it a day
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

That blue area as well as the overall spottiness of the flywheel doesn't look good, although the disc does look damn near new it's either been heavily abused, or the flywheel and PP weren't resurfaced before it was installed.

A competent flywheel grinder should have the specs, it's not so much the thickness like brake rotors, it's all about the step, make sure they grind the surface the PP bolts to the same amount as what comes off the main surface. Ask them about grinding the PP too, older ones like that are far superior to most current versions.

I'd re use the disc, but I like to live on the edge! Razz A really close look at the surface for tiny checks would be the final answer for me.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

don’t forget to replace the pilot bearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

Yes, and if that throwout is noisy change it too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

Okay, thanks a million for the responses, everyone.

The material thickness from the tops of the rivets on front and back of the disc are between 1.6mm and 1.75mm. In the new disc it’s 2mm, so this disc has just a bit of wear.

I will replace the pilot bearing and throw out bearing (I got a good German one from Scott) as well as both seals on the front and back of the crankshaft. I am also going to check end play next, but I’m gonna run this pig for now. My wife is learning how to drive stick on this bus so I think this disc will be the sacrificial lamb, lol!

I am clearly naive to the flywheel and pressure plate though - those look good to me!
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

save your marriage, get someone else to teach her how to drive a stick.

insert smiley face here.
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
save your marriage, get someone else to teach her how to drive a stick.

insert smiley face here.

That is good advice indeed! We've been through 2 home renovations and she hasn't left me yet so I might be okay Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel Info and Specs Reply with quote

With the clutch bolted to the flywheel its the space between the diaphragm fingers and the clutch cover that count. With everything new the fingers will lay flat and have several mm of space between the fingers and the cover, while when things are worn the fingers will angle up and there will be less space between the fingers and the cover. When the fingers touch the cover the clutch is done for. Both the clutch cover and the flywheel will wear to a slight cone shape over time, but at some point will become excessive. I don't have a spec here, but maybe a 0.5mm (0.020") total for the cover and flywheel combined.

If the fingers lay flat or nearly so with the new disc installed I would just take a Dremel with a ball stone and roughen the surfaces of the cover and flywheel a wee bit, just enough to give a textured surface to about a third to one half of the total surface area. I personally would not reuse the old disc as the springs might be ready to break or the rivets could be getting loose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: