Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding my motor
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Hi all,

I bought this bus knowing one of the main bearings were bad. Worked out a final price and drove it home, where it has sat for about 4 months. It is a 1976 Bus with the 2.0 fuel injected federal emissions.

After going over all my options of which why to go on this, I finally got the guts to pull the motor and tackle this myself. I've never rebuilt a motor of any sorts...so I figured why not start with a VW...right?

There are many signs that this motor has been driven hard and long...with minimal repairs to keep her going. It is also apparent that it is not the original motor and I don't know who or where it came from...or why the rear main bearing seized...that's hopefully something the machine shop can figure out.

Either way, my goals are simple. Build a motor that will last for hopefully another 100,000 miles and learn from the experience.

Any and all insight is welcomed.

By the way, is the BUS BOY company still up and running? I can't get a hold of anyone...

Thanks in advance[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Some Pics

She's freeeeeee.....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very Dirty, will be getting a much needed bath and fresh paint.

Bad intake gasket...I'm sure it was leaking

Two questions here: first, where would this vacuum line connect to? and second, what is the switch for on top of the throttle body? There were no wire connecting to it.

Broken fuel injector connectors

Is this some sort of EGR system? If so, it wasn't hooked up

What is this?

Thanks[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never rebuilt a motor of any sorts

I'd slow down if this is your first engine let alone VW. If a bearing seized and the crank blued (which you don't know yet until it is apart) then the main saddles will be warped from the heat, and you will need to find a crank and case. You probably want to talk a little with folks here about what books you have read on VW engine building, and what you are using for reference.

This is the last post in BusBoys feedback thread in March 2016. The building was up for sale in summer 2015 as I recall.

Roger H wrote:
I now have reason to believe however that they are most likely out of busines?.

DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

SGKent,

I agree about taking it slow...been doing a lot of reading and researching...and I've got waaaaaaaaaay more time than money. Just retired from active duty.

I've dropped off the case, crank, cam, rods, pistons, cylinders, flywheel and pressure plate (dynamic balance), and both heads for there initial inspections. I'm hoping the case and crank are repairable...but I understand they might not be.

I've been referred to this machine shop by a renown VW engine builder in the area, so I'm confident in there assessments and ability. I expressed that I'm not looking to cut any corners and I want to make a good reliable motor.

My biggest concern (i think) is sourcing all the small parts.

Thanks for the update on Bus Boys...I kinda fingered that
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

DeltaBravo wrote:
SGKent,

I agree about taking it slow...been doing a lot of reading and researching...and I've got waaaaaaaaaay more time than money. Just retired from active duty.

I've dropped off the case, crank, cam, rods, pistons, cylinders, flywheel and pressure plate (dynamic balance), and both heads for there initial inspections. I'm hoping the case and crank are repairable...but I understand they might not be.

I've been referred to this machine shop by a renown VW engine builder in the area, so I'm confident in there assessments and ability. I expressed that I'm not looking to cut any corners and I want to make a good reliable motor.

My biggest concern (i think) is sourcing all the small parts.

Thanks for the update on Bus Boys...I kinda fingered that

You need to understand that you don't have a typical "VW" motor. Most VW shops cannot handle that type motor you have, and you had best review the feedback on the shops you choose to use. The parts you have are getting rare. The 1972 and later North American buses used a type 4 motor. Most shops work on type 1 motors. I mean this from the bottom of my heart: There is no one in the LA basin I would trust these days with a type 4 motor although I would probably speak with these folks http://fatperformance.com/home/ to see whom they are using for machine work.

This is what a motor like yours can cost at the very high end. Most folks get by on substantially less but I'd like to establish that it is not a normal type 1 engine.:

Quote:
Jake Raby wrote:
Two Camper Special Plus engines will be on the shelf this year. One in October, and one in December.

Turn key, with Nickies and all USA made performance parts, topped off with Dellorto carbs, or stock EFI (EFI adds 1750.00). $25K is the cost outright, no exchange necessary. Keep your old engine.

We only have the components, and quality cores to build two. I'll assemble them both as my signature series.

DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

25K for an engine...? Shocked

I guess I'm in really deep!

As far as trusting someone in the LA basin, I've found two highly reputable shops that both quoted me about $5500 for complete rebuild. Both have great reviews for the type 4 and any other type VW engines. I have source out a machine shop that has specifically worked on the type 4 engines as well as Porsche and others.

I truly hope your are wrong about 'not trusting' anyone because this is all I've got.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Welcome

What are the numbers located on the engine. I do not remember seeing a breather like the one you have.
VIN, Chassis, Engine number locations

Two questions here: first, where would this vacuum line connect to? and second, what is the switch for on top of the throttle body? There were no wire connecting to it.
Vacuum lines
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/930637.jpg
Micro switch
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380803&start=0

Broken fuel injector connectors
http://www.jbugs.com/product/037906240.html
https://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/vana...-037906240

Is this some sort of EGR system? If so, it wasn't hooked up
Yes it is. Depending on what county you are in, you will need to get that hooked up to pass smog.

What is this?
TDC sensor

Good luck
Tcash

The Type 4 Engine Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503859

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vw+type+4+engine+rebuild
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I do not remember seeing a breather like the one you have.

Vanagon engine.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy
Tcash
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

What does the $5500 rebuild include?

Add:

New FI Harness
All new fuel lines/vacuum
Rebuild starter
Powdercoat/R+R tins/etc.
Heater Boxes?
Overhaul Injectors
Double Relay/Pump Harness

Good luck and welcome!
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash...that is some great info

BusDaddy-I don't know...it is possible, I feel this bus has been held together with "what ever parts were available" over the last 40 years

Curtp07- The rebuild quotes were just quotes for the engine and that was after I removed and installed it myself. So I went with the 'slower' but more affordable option. Removed and install myself, tear down and have the respective parts professionally cleaned, measured, ground, polish, balance or replaced...put it all back together myself and install.

I agree about all the other 'small' things that add up. Thanks for the heads up.
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Tcash, engine number

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

That's the shroud number, what's on the top of the case down between the shroud and that breather tower?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That's the shroud number, what's on the top of the case down between the shroud and that breather tower?

The shroud fan cover could be off a different engine.
What is this number.

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

TCash - pulled this photo from classifieds as could not find one in the gallery otherwise. This one is a CV 80 - 83 Vanagon case. Considering he is in California in the LA Basin it will be interesting to see how the exhaust bolts up for smog purposes - whether they bolted oval port or square port heads and exhaust on it. Also if it is a California or Federal model.

DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Well...

Tcash-I don't have the case with me now...at the machine shop, I will ask to take a pic tomorrow and get back with you guys.

SGKent- I feel like your talking to me in a "third person"...

Are you referring to my engine? Are you seeing something that might hinder my ability to pass smog? Please let me know. I am very interested in learning, but right now I'm a little confused as to "who" your helping on this post.

Please don't take that the wrong way, I'm really just confused if this breather tube topic is about my engine or not...

Thanks again and please continue to educate me.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

They are schooling me and Yes they are talking about your engine. The breather is that black thing with the hat on it that SGKent just posted.
It is different on a bus engine.

It looks like Someone put a Vanagon engine in your bus.

The next questions will be
What exhaust do you have?
http://www.oldvolkshome.com/2exh7279.htm

Which ECU (electronic control unit) do you have. This should be located in the engine compartment on the right.

Good luck
Tcash
DeltaBravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

Pending an actual engine number, you believe I might have an early Vanagon engine because of the breather location. Interesting...

The exhaust is rusty and has been welded a couple of times. But based off of what I've found, it looks to be the correct 1976 (federal emissions) exhaust system.

I will get back with you on the ECU tomorrow.

Thanks again
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

First off, thanks for your service! Secondly, good on you for tackling this engine overhaul, even if it's your first time doing it.

There's a couple of things you may consider buying as you navigate through the rebuild process if you haven't already.

Tom Wilson's book on how rebuild your VW motor.

There's also a DVD you can purchase on rebuilding a type 4 video that gets good reviews.

http://www.bugmevideo.com/

In the world of engine rebuilds, VW engines are pretty simple if you follow the procedures to a "T". Some feel that the type 4 engine is more complicated to rebuild than a type 1 engine. Others don't. Yes, some parts are becoming harder to locate but it sounds like you're on solid footing by having all your parts inspected by a known good machinist.

I used the Wilson book and watched the bugmevideo on type 1 engines years ago when I rebuild a few engines. I took my time, made sure EVERYTHING was squeeky clean, followed the Wilson books and Bentley and was rewarded with excellent running engines that have been trouble free.

There ARE lots of nice, non condescending folks on this site that are always willing to help as you go through the rebuild.

I hope you keep updating this thread as you go through your build.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding my motor Reply with quote

vanagon case..... Very Happy
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: