Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing The Ghost Ship
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

oldschool84 wrote:
Hey -

I just discovered this thread and wanted to congratulate you on so much beautiful work on that van. Mine is the Ivory colored version with the same interior scheme except brown/blue seat fabric. I didn't have nearly as much to do - it was basically very clean and just a little used. Your thread is all the motivation someone needs to get rolling on a project to restore something. I plan to have some minor rust addressed in the back driver's seam, below the services and under windows and get a paint job soon - it will be the time to do soundproofing obviously and clean the water tank and replace the lines, maintenance on the fridge, etc. - all this will entail pulling the cabinets - just learned a good amount about that from looking at the pics in your restoration.

Thanks so much for documenting this - hope you're able to get it rolling someplace this summer!

Thank you! Wait until I start on the dash, the laughs will never end. Not sure I'll make my July camping trip. But Sept is doable? We'll see! .... glad it's helpful, I couldn't have done this without the Samba peeps. And it's weird, I just have been calling it cleaning up after mice. .. I guess it is a restore! If I could have done it over, i would have not let months at a time go by without working on it. Oh well. Good luck with your project! It's not that difficult, but there can be surprises Laughing
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

You didn't consider this a restoration? In all but name…

I look forward to seeing the Ghost on the road, seeing as how you are pretty close by.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
You didn't consider this a restoration?

Well, no, at the beginning I just wanted to seek and destroy the source of that eye-watering smell. And then it became so, SO much more... Shocked

Paulbeard wrote:
I look forward to seeing the Ghost on the road, seeing as how you are pretty close by.

soon I hope
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

ServantOfElwood wrote:
And then it became so, SO much more... Shocked

And so it does…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Wow. I'm deep in the same exact job with mine right now. It went from the Mouse Death Star last weekend to completely empty. Huge mouse nests in the rear upper AC unit (Ghost Ship doesn't have) and above the front headliner. That one was so bad the headliner was sagging.

Anyway, simply amazing! You haven't been on in awhile. Hope for an update soon. Perhaps you're just still recovering from all this work?

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

*bump*

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleet_maintenance wrote:
Seriously? that is the absolute best name I've heard for a van. Period. ... Very Happy

Well, at least the best for a white van.
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Dash away, dash away, dash away all Reply with quote

Long time no see! This morning I was singing Hello Ghostie My Old Friend... (to "The Sounds of Silence"). Quite a while ago I got the water all plumbed and wired and hooked up and working and then that was it for a while. But even though the fridge or propane aren't back in yet, I'm going to divert and pull the dash. (maybe will bop over to the fridge project when I get to a tough moment).

Looking through the supplies it appears that I have a new heater core and some sort of special hose that goes with, and a blower motor, and some clips, I think for the heater box? But I recall now the wipers don't work, so hmm I have a bunch of reading to do! Getting back into that Westy frame of mind.

The bookmarks that I've been collecting. I see there's a Lazy Person's Stupid Question thread now, which is perfect for me Smile and I'm not sure why I don't have dkjeevs thread bookmarked, but I'll find it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432326
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277650
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665535
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265457
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472644
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344654

Started looking at Ben's Place, and question: do the seats need to be removed for this? I need to remove them sooner or later (there's mousieness under them) but should it be sooner? for the dash project?

Thanks for your advice as always, and hope you are all doing well.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Hooray! It’s good to know that progress continues. I always enjoyed this thread and how you go about describing the problem and solution.

Did you mention blower motor? I might be interested in buying the old one if it’s available. I’m interested in the squirrel cage so non-op is fine. Please ping me if you need a buyer. Very Happy

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Hooray! It’s good to know that progress continues. I always enjoyed this thread and how you go about describing the problem and solution.

Did you mention blower motor? I might be interested in buying the old one if it’s available. I’m interested in the squirrel cage so non-op is fine. Please ping me if you need a buyer. Very Happy

Thanks.

I did indeed mention it but I really don't know what I'm talking about, yet Laughing squirrels sound suspiciously like mice? Laughing it must have something to do with the housing around the fan (gerbil wheel)? and glad you enjoy, I'm reading back through it and wondering just how in the hell I did all this.
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

happy to see this project is still alive. Good luck going forward!
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

fleet_maintenance wrote:
happy to see this project is still alive. Good luck going forward!

Thanks, I'll need it.

Question: when you pull the dash, do you have to remove the steering wheel too? I'm thinking not but don't want to get in a jam part way.
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Removing the dash, I've found this video from Gowesty, combined with Ben's Place, to be really helpful.
https://youtu.be/FLIsH2yqhoo
http://www.benplace.com/dash.htm

And, pulling the heater tube from the vent ... orange arrow ... is that a dried up mouse tail??? Stay tuned.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

How to remove heater box and work on things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wgsznvcCE
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Removed the heater box today, very uneventful and pretty much by the book (or in this case, by the video) I was expecting a bit more mouse nest. I think there was one in the past behind the brake master cylinder, but my nephew removed it when he was working there. So far just stray bits of insulation, seeds, some poops, and lots of dirt. We'll see what's in the heater box.

I know what you're really wondering. Was it a dessicated mouse tail that I found in the drivers side vent? The vent that was so smelly? Why yes indeedy. Putting some space here in case you're squeamish.

ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Here's some photos from the last couple of days:

removed the instrument cluster. Go Westy has a video; there's a link to it in the Dash Removal video.

making labels :"To the right of the clock"

removed the steering wheel. a 15/16 socket works in place of a 24 mm

Previously I was bummed there was no stereo in the van. There has never been a stereo in the van that I can tell! All the factory wires from the speakers are stubbed out to an empty hole. Easy!

I had trouble removing these "security bolts" holding the steering column. Would somebody seriously steal the steering column? I don't understand. When The Convincer got off work he employed a set of vise grips and the knowledge and muscle to use them.

And the dash is out! I was expecting a bit more mouse nest....

Video says some vans has a couple of Phillips screws for the heater box accessible from the front. This van does not. There's already a bug screen on the air dam? Guess I didn't know that. Mice can still get in the sides, but it doesn't appear that they did... no brown greasy trail.

Was all nervous about getting the heater box out... the video was super helpful, although he (the Gowesty Guy) threw in a couple of last minute things to unhook, out of order. There was not much coolant in the core; not sure what that means.

ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

You don't look like such a big deal now, heater box!

86 the old heater core. It doesn't look too bad actually. But I already have a new one (that's been sitting in the box for 3 years)

The old blower motor, and the new one (that's been in a box for 3 years). The old motor had been working, in fact I recall turning it on the first time and a bunch of mouse insulation came flying out the vents. But tried to run it a few days ago and it blew a fuse. Yep, the fan is very stiff turning, it was its time.

I was so excited about the cookies I didn't get a very good photo of the wiper motor and the resistor. But they are wired up with the proper connectors and ready to plug in. Thank goodness.

Let the scrubbing commence. My old friend Citrasolv.

Last edited by ServantOfElwood on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

You will want to add the mullendore port or something like it while you are in there. See also a thread by that name ("while the dash is out"). It covers cleaning grounds, cleaning up crummy/suspect wiring, adding sound deadener/insulation. also consider the jeep resistor while you have the heater box out.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Hi Paul! One of these days I'll get back to the refrigerator...

I got the resistor from Van Cafe, it's all wired and ready to go. No thinking required on my part. I'm just not that confident or creative about electrical.

Yep, I think I have that thread bookmarked... somewhere...
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing The Ghost Ship Reply with quote

Progress, although slow, is still progress. After I pulled the heater box, there was a lot of scrubbing to be done. I used Citrasolv, and a piece of sweatshirt, and a toothbrush... but the star of the show was the bottle brush. I could wet it down and drag it through crevices and nooks and drag the wet dirt out within reach to wipe up (kind of like when you use a yardstick to get the pet hair out from underneath the refrigerator), repeat repeat repeat. So it's looking pretty shiny. Happiness.

Before:

After:

The metal tunnel(not sure of exact name, I'm sure it has one) that directs air to the rear, how to clean that? I used the air compressor on it but NOT GOOD ENOUGH, I said. So, I got out the friendly old coat hanger.

Stuck it in here: (yellow string with a pink rag tied to it)

There it is in the tunnel.

How to get it? I tried these... reminds me of the game Operation. Zzzztt!

But finally just put a bend in the hanger and rowed it around until it popped up.

And then used string tied to each end of the wet drippy rag to drag it back and forth through the tunnel, let it sit in the tunnel to soften up the dirt, used the air compressor, bottle brush,drag drag, repeat repeat repeat.

And did the same thing to the driver's side (took the blocking plate off - much mousage in that little dead end). So it's pretty good now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: