Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty starter vs. a cheap one.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyInSoCal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: GoWesty starter vs. a cheap one. Reply with quote

Why is their starter twice (if not more) expensive than anyone else? Is it twice as good?

I need a starter. I have to rap on mine just about every damn time in order to get it to work.

I've bought a LOT of stuff from GoWesty.com. Everything has been spot on. I've even got a sticker on my back window. But do I spend $75 on a USA Industries Refab? Or do I spend $280 at GoWesty?

Advice?
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to go with either of those options. Check out the starter adapter from Karl @ Westy Ventures instead.

http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html

The adptor allows you to use the Bosch SR0408X/409X, a more powerful starter from the 1996 - 2003 manual-trans VW TDI (diesel) cars. This starter has ~2.4HP vs ~1.3HP for the stock Vanagon starter.

The SR0408X/409X is a high torque gear-reduction type starter with a self-supporting shaft, so it no longer requires the bronze pilot bushing to position the shaft end if you have a manual trans Vanagon.

The adapter is $75 shipped and you can usually find the starter for about $120.00-$150.00 with a lifetime warranty. This gets you out the door cheaper than the GW starter and doesn't tie you to a single supplier if you do run into problems with it in the future as long as you buy it from a national chain that offers a lifetime warranty.

When my starter needs to be replaced, this is the only choice I will consider.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a used adapter and starter in the classifieds currently as Jay pointed out.
I have used many of Karl's adapters and purchased the TDI starters brand new....all working flawlessly.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with what you call 'a cheap one' and have had no problems with it for many years now. What I like is that it came with a lifetime warranty from a parts chain with stores almost everywhere (Checker then, O'Reillys these days).

I have twice swapped alternators in an Autozone parking lot under their guarantee, I suppose I could change a starter in O'Reillys' lot if I was far from home (I do carry an 8mm Allen wrench on board).

I have no experience with the hi-torque but again (as Jay points out) you will have the comfort of a lifetime guarantee.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option that seems to have disappeared nowadays is to disassemble it, diagnose the problem and repair it. I often replace starter contacts on Japanese starters for under five dollars, and replace worn alternator brushes (which is all that's ever wrong with these) for around the same amount.
I find the piece of mind knowing my repair was done properly and completely worth the time. Even the Bosch branded items are often rebuilt half hearted by a factory worker in some other country.

There are a bunch of resources to learn this, including the internet as well as your Bentley manual.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently added the Karl/WestyVentures adapter and TDI starter to my van, (along with a few other modest changes). The TDI starter cranks the motor over fast. Very satisfying upgrade.

Or, if you wish to go the rebuild route without tackling it yourself, there's a good alternator/starter rebuilder shop in Riverside. I've used him for my work trucks.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the GW gear reduction starter in May and I failed on the first startup. Shorted internally. GW gave me a refund, BUT I still paid shipping two times, so it cost me $50. POS.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slobrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the GW gear reduction starter a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it so far. It's not a remanufactured unit so it's all new parts.
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I went with what you call 'a cheap one' and have had no problems with it for many years now. What I like is that it came with a lifetime warranty from a parts chain with stores almost everywhere (Checker then, O'Reillys these days).

Was the starter you speak of a rebuilt stock Vanagon one, or a rebuilt diesel Jetta starter for use with Karl's adapter plate?

I installed Karl's adapter plate with a rebuilt O'Reilly 408x Jetta starter (interestingly, the starter housing had a part number for a Eurovan Starter; I think rebuilders can match different motor housings with different motors and mounting plates). Works awesome with my 2.8L V6. Spins the engine fast. All together, I spent $190 ($115), and any future starters are under a lifetime guarantee. Free shipping from O'Reilly if there isn't one in your area. I'm really happy with the upgrade too, and the price was really nice.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went with the GW starters on both Syncro's.

About 8 months on one and a year on the other.
Both have worked flawlessly on a WBX 2.1 and EJ22.

I like the TDI starter and when this one goes, I will probably go that route. It is easier to get a replacement and a lifetime warranty that GW does not have.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlamb wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

Was the starter you speak of a rebuilt stock Vanagon one, or a rebuilt diesel Jetta starter for use with Karl's adapter plate?...

It was a rebuilt Vanagon starter. It starts the engine -- that's enough for me.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a rebuilt Bosch SR401 (I think - the later OEM starter) on Amazon and its been great. Spins my 2.5 Subie like a champ.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl's adapter with TDI Bosch starter is the way to go. A lot more power then GW starter and more reliable. Less money also. IMHO.
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best tool to use to get that lower bolt as you can't get a typical socket on it due to interference from the body of the starter?
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used a box wrench
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a standard open end box wrench will definitely do the trick. I think a Gear Wrench might be able to sneak in there to make the job a little bit quicker as well.

SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So swapping out the starter is a pretty simple process?? As in, do it in my driveway without anything special

If its described in the Bently I need to wait for the rain to stop. Not in the mood to go out and get it from the van.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 2WD it is a simple job, just two bolts to remove the starter. The gas tank on the Syncro makes the job a lot less fun due to limited room to work.

You will need an allen socket (6mm I think) for the top bolt, so if you don't have that, a trip to the tool store is going to be necessary.

Be sure to disconnect the ground cables on any batteries before you start working.

If you are installing a new stock starter, be sure to inspect/replace the bushing while you are in there. A 7/16" bottoming tap is a common way to remove the old one.

SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks

Yes, its just a 2wd Manual that I need to do this on. Will probably just get one from Bus Depot.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Karl's adapter with TDI Bosch starter is the way to go. A lot more power then GW starter and more reliable. Less money also. IMHO.

This. The single best upgrade I've performed on my car in a long time ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: