Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hypothetically. Eng rebuild?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Hypothetically. Eng rebuild? Reply with quote

I have a 1600 dual port(AH block I think it's a 73-74) it's a tired eng and runs ok. I've been thinking of rebuilding it or just building a new one. My wish list is a turbo in my future; that said, if that happens it will a ways down the road. If y'all were gona build a engine (nothing crazy or huge, I'm thinking everyday driver) what direction would you go. It is for an on/off road sand rail mainly just having fun with the kids- but I am a gear head and like a little power. I was thinking under 2000cc like a 1776 or 1835. Thanks for the input.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what when you go on the "Sand" you need some power! But you probably have a really good start with that AH case and Engine as your core! Hopefully it's a good case! There are several really simple engines your can put together from it and of course the 1776 and 1835 are what most have done in the past.
What's happening now with the cost of the stroker cranks not being that much more, people are adding some stroke.

I did not want to machine out my case cause it was an AE which have the 10mm studs which have to be inserted so I went with some stroke and the new 88mm Thick wall cylinders. But what made my engine was the use of the Dual Dellorto carbs combined with a Cam.
These ACN articles are a good source for engine Ideas but they are kind of written to sale parts.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build what you want the first time. It is a foolish waste of money to keep upgrading an engine in stages.

Gearing is more important on a sand buggy then engine size is.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I if I pull the trigger on a rebuild I want to do it once... Hopfully. I am pretty green to vw engines and just don't know what the best direction is. Seems like I have multiple directions to get back to center but aside from from more cc I didn't knew of there were any benifits bumping up to the 1835.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: