Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weatherproof LED along bottom edge of Awning
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Weatherproof LED along bottom edge of Awning Reply with quote

While at Syncrofest this past April, I observed several awnings with LED's running the entire length of the awning. What I liked was the LED's were on the part that cranked out, meaning it would work excellently to illuminate the area I setup our stove.

On one of the Westy's at Syncrofest, even with the awning closed, the LED's still illuminated very well along the side of the van.

I've found plenty of LED's that are weatherproof 12V, but the ones I saw at Syncrofest, and what I've been trying to find, were tightly spaced and very efficiently packaged, from what I remember. The hardware store by my office has a weatherproof, thin, 16' set for $69 that is spaced 1 bulb per 1/2". I thought it would be cool to split it, and put 8' on the fixed portion and 8' on the crank out portion of my awning. If I switched them separately I could adjust the amount of light I needed. Maybe even run a dimmer on them. Or switch one set with the interior lights.

So what have you come up with? How did you switch them? Where did you source them? I would love to see some pictures and hear some ideas.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These work great. Very bright. They come in white or colored. I like them because the DON'T run off my aux or house batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Eno-Twilights-Camp-Lights/dp...+twilights

Or there are also these types of Weatherproof 12V LED Strip Lights:
http://www.amazon.com/E-Goal-Strip-light-Waterproo...ht+kit+12v
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those strip lights from Amazon are pretty close. The ones I saw at Syncrofest seemed too be tighter spacing though. At under $7 though, I went ahead and ordered a roll tonight.

I have a set of lights similar to those camp lights, mine have their own solar battery charger. I liked these strip lights better due to they are always ready. No setup. Use it in the grocery store parking lot if needed.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'74 Jeep CJ5
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for alittle more (yeah double yer $$) you can add this trick little RF remote control Idea

I plan to install a Warm white & and an Amber strip and use 2 RF remotes taped back to back (little yellow dot on case for the amber one) Wink

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111029604701

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiamma has offered a few LED kits for their products for some time if you want some other ideas or to just get a plug and play kit from them. http://www.fiamma.com/EN/products/comfort/led/
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received the strip lighting from Amazon. Shipping was very slow. But they arrived this week and I got them put in today. I put one strip along the awning on the outer edge so it will crank out with the awning. Wiring followed the Awning rafters back to the gutter, then fed into the rear vent. In the passenger pillar there is a rubber grommet for other wiring that feeds into the interior, so I followed it in, then down the pillar and under the back seat where I had a spare fuse in my aux battery fuse box. For right now I put in a temporary switch accessible under the seat. I have ordered the RF remote danfromsyr referenced.

Here's a shot of them on tonight. They are pretty bright and the light spreads nicely. Since my Vanagon is Blue with a Grey interior, I like the standard LED color best.

With the door open and the awning closed, the fridge is illuminated very well.

The roll was 16' long and I've used about 9 feet of it. I think I'll put the remainder over the slider so the fridge will be lit when the awning is out. I can mount it on the awning housing that is fixed to the van. I guess I should of ordered 2 of those RF remotes. Confused Although I am thinking it may be more useful if the new location was wired in to the slider door switch.

'74 Jeep CJ5
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim (and all),
After a long while now, how Do you like the led lights mounted on your awning?

Anything you would have done differently?

I would love to see any pics of how you routed the wiring from the rear vent, through the awning, etc. do you have any photos you could share?

I am about to do the same thing on mine.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions. I now realize I never followed up on this thread. Embarassed

I wound up adding anther strip on the fixed side of the awning. At first I ran a piece just the length of the slider because I thought the open door would block the rest of it anyway. Here's how it looked.

I didn't like the dark area alongside the van, so I soldered on enough to stretch the length of the awning. Here's a shot of it in use during a very dark night in Utah.

One concern was how bright it was and if it would glare in the eyes while setting around camp at night. Having camped with it for about 14 nights now, I can say it hasn't been a problem. I had ordered a couple of remotes danfromsyr recommended in his post above, but then never saw the need to install them for these lights. I switched each row of lights separately, placing small toggle switches just inside the slider in the back seat kick panel.

The route I used wiring through the pillar vent was because I had a tin top. I recently installed a CHC poptop and now route the wire out from under the tent, under the seal, and into the awning. Here's a shot of the end of the awning. The wire used to exit the awning in the same place, but ran over into the vent. Once inside the vent, it is an easy run into the van as posted in earlier post. Sorry no pictures.

Of all the mods I've done, as soon as the sun goes down, this mod gathers the most comments. It's convenient, practical, and best of all, cheap.

I remember camping at San Onofre last Spring. We pulled in after dark. No lights anywhere around. I'm holding a flashlight in my mouth as I get stuff set up. That doesn't happen anymore.

At Buses By The Bridge this past weekend, I ran at least one and sometimes both sets of LEDs for 5 or 6 hours each night. With the exterior and now my interior overhead poptop LED lighting, it's almost embarrassing how bright my camp can be. I used one of those LED Dimmers I bought on the overhead light so I could have it on and not blind the neighbors. Cool

While at BBB, rubbachicken and I were discussing mounting more LED lighting on the crank out rafters of my awning. With the awning cranked all the way out, the middle area is dark. But the darker areas are usually where my chairs are, and the stove is directly under the LED's, so I can't really see a need to add anymore on this side of the van. Now some sort of full perimeter lighting... Idea I got a couple ideas. Stay tuned.

'74 Jeep CJ5
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really nice, Tim - and useful. What did you end up using for the light strips? Part number?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love what Tim did so I tried my hand at it this weekend while at camp.

I used a 16.4' led weather proof strip, ran it underneath my Fiamma 11'6" Awning case and had enough left over to cover the main casing on the awning rafter... So far I like it, I just need to button up the wiring and add some TV adhesive/sealant to the LED strips so they stay in place.

Thanks Tim for the info!

shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Looks really nice, Tim - and useful. What did you end up using for the light strips? Part number?

Thanks. I used the link provided by ThankYouJerry above. Here it is again.

http://www.amazon.com/E-Goal-Strip-light-Waterproo...ht+kit+12v

With these lights, you can cut the strip every third bulb to achieve the length you want, then solder a wire to the copper tape exposed when you cut it. The adhesive tape that comes on these is very poor. It barely held it in place as I was installing it. It was so bad if part of it wasn't stuck, it would pull the rest back down as well. I wound up running a bead of clear silicone down each side of the strip to get it to be securely fastened. Many months and miles later it is still solidly attached.

Good job Abel. I love seeing a fresh approach in how to get coverage. Your camp looks well illuminated.

'74 Jeep CJ5
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I just ordered a set Smile

Can you provide more info on how to wire them up? The kits suggest to buy the 12v adapter? do they have to be plugged in to an inverter or can you wire them directly to a aux fuse panel, attached to the aux battery? Forgive me, i'm not great at electrical. Can you please provide more pics of the wiring part? Embarassed

cheers,

Westy life
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westylife wrote:
Awesome! I just ordered a set Smile

Can you provide more info on how to wire them up? The kits suggest to buy the 12v adapter? do they have to be plugged in to an inverter or can you wire them directly to a aux fuse panel, attached to the aux battery? Forgive me, i'm not great at electrical. Can you please provide more pics of the wiring part? Embarassed

cheers,

Westy life

Hey there... I just added a writeup on my blog about the install...
http://texasvanagons.com/fiamma-awning-led-lighting/

You should be able to wire them up to your 12v aux fuse panel. Easy peasy.
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks, HoustonPhotog!
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love mine

Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Tim. Those lights are sweet. Makes me want an awning for my '88 camper. I've been wanting to hook up a light that comes on when the slider is opened, utilizing the available door switch hole in the jamb. Something that looks like it was done at the factory.

RVs have been using those led strip lights, on their awnings. Great lighting. Nice to see em on a Vanagon Exclamation I like the remote idea.
Hnoroian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with both of these running off my home solar 12 volt system, and the tape has been holding up the last 4 years in the open very well. I have the eno's mentioned earlier but I don't think they are bright enough, close quarters most definitely but in the open they fall short.

Just some light for thought Laughing

1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-300Leds-5630-Cool-White...58c1fb57f5

2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Super-Bright-White-Car-...mp;vxp=mtr

3. My favorite and seems to be the brightest http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-500-100-Cool-White-...2c9ab6e403
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

I think you were looking at mine at S.F. My Leds were purchased off of E bay in a 50 Ft length ,we also purchased a wire less remote which will dim them as well as turn them on and off. My Fiamma awning has a "wire Groove" in the rails . I drilled a hole in my awning (ouch) and run it through the outside rail to the support bars and then out of the body side of the housing into a hole in my van which enters near the rear hatch. My buddy did his like mine but he just rab his wires under the Westy aluminium tent rail and into his cabin for power and uses the same remote I do.
The remote sits in the rear tray near the hatch and gives good service to the remote function. The multi feet rolls allow you to cut them at any length. They have small brass solder dots ,which are very easy to solder to and are marked Plus and Minus.
They do a great job and I have also gutted my fluorescent interior fixtures and filled them with the same LEDs .
Will try and post some photos over the weekend .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
These work great. Very bright. They come in white or colored. I like them because the DON'T run off my aux or house batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Eno-Twilights-Camp-Lights/dp...+twilights

bad link - can you repost or give search term?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this, it's the same as I purchased

http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Flexible-LED-Strip-300xSMD3528/dp/B002Q8V8DM

'74 Jeep CJ5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: