Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gasket for Oil Filter Housing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brockmeeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:38 am    Post subject: Gasket for Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

Any one know where I can get a gasket for the oil filter housing (for lack of a correct name)?

You can see in the photos what gasket I need ... can't seem to find one anywhere. In lieu of finding that gasket, should I:

A. Get gasket making material and cut my own or;
B. Use some kind of "gasket maker" RTV

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2018 Ford Escape SEL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gasket for Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

Make your own, it is easy enough.

RTV? It would probably work but it is shade tree. Do it correctly. IMHO

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gasket for Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

Same part as for a 72-79 Transporter with a Type 4 engine. Yes you can use gasket paper, the original paper was a medium weight. A modern engine might well use some kind of goop here, but any goop would need to be applied carefully as any excess could come loose and end up restricting the oil flow to some vital part thus reaping havoc.
brockmeeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gasket for Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

Quote:
Make your own, easy enough.

Yep, that's what I figured it might come down to. Thanks. Gasket material already ordered and I'll pick it up later this morning.
2018 Ford Escape SEL
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gasket for Oil Filter Housing Reply with quote

brockmeeks wrote:
Quote:
Make your own, easy enough.

Yep, that's what I figured it might come down to. Thanks. Gasket material already ordered and I'll pick it up later this morning.

If you have some old fashion India ink or something similar you can paint the flange in ink and then press the flange against gasket paper to transfer the image.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: