Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning.
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Michigan Offroad Friendly Chat and Trip Planning. Reply with quote

working on planning a few hours worth of trails near the newaygo county. bring whatever you have to hit the trails with, the more the merrier. keep it friendly for kids and safe, so no drugs or alcohol. looking at hitting the trails starting east of fremont heading to baldwin area or there is another set that heads towards manistee. should be happening the weekend of the 8th of august. (plans can change if you have any better ideas or trails to hit speak up)

Last edited by winchin73blazinbaja on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until wifey tells me otherwise, I'm in. Very Happy
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! When would you be heading this way? I usually am out of work around 3 on Friday.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i will be set to go by then! will have my tires on it tomorrow just have to install the new gas tank and replace 2 broken studs on my rear passenger side. (1 on the adapter plate, 1 that bolts to the drum) the one on the drum is not that big of a deal as it is still mounted properly just stripped out on me so i cannot remove the lug that sheared.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all set to go drove it to work today with no issues getting my new tires mounted during my lunch. And I am working on getting my cousin to come play co-pilot for me.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will respond to further Q's on the good volks forum. Not because I want to shut down this thread but to avoid having to repeat ourselves across several threads on different sites.

Don't let that hinder anyone new joining the convo here.
graveshaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these trails good for dirt bikes too? If so count me in, my son rides an xr400 and usually goes with me when we trail ride.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will check into it, would it be ridden to the trails or trailered? if it can be driven on the road it should be fine as depending on how we are all fairing by the end and how we are feeling it would either be a trip back home on pavement or back on trails for the way back. i will ask around a bit for you
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the other night I found a stretch of powerlines open that had a decent little hilly stretch of deep sand and I blasted Mary through it. She did great, but I'm not sure about myself. I have what I think are the original seats in the baja and they are very springy. The whole time - boing! boing! I go. I'm curious how much of that I will be able to handle on a long trip. Maybe it's better than a stiffer seat. I guess I'll find out.

I'm so excited. Told the wife about the tenative plans. I think she's onboard. I'm trying to get her to take her Jeep too but I think she's afraid she'll break something. lol I keep telling her we won't be driving hard. I just know if I can get her out there she'll get adicted herself. And then I'll have to come up with reasons to tell her we can't go wheeling when I need a break. lol
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea we are not going to be going crazy i want to say tha tmy future father in law said that there was maybe one decent mud hole that i may have trouble going through but that is what straps and my winch are for. yea trail riding is fun! this is far from a bashing lets see how much stuff we can break today kind of trip just a fun cruise through the woods to try and see what we can find and waht there is to challenge our dubs on (and anything else that would like to come with us)
graveshaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winchin73blazinbaja wrote:
i will check into it, would it be ridden to the trails or trailered? if it can be driven on the road it should be fine as depending on how we are all fairing by the end and how we are feeling it would either be a trip back home on pavement or back on trails for the way back. i will ask around a bit for you

Never mind the dirt bike, my oldest son has to work that day. It'll just be me and my youngest son as my co-pilot.
I just hope I don't break anything this weekend in St. Helen.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright and they are street legal only for the record
graveshaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winchin73blazinbaja wrote:
alright and they are street legal only for the record

Yes it is.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet! just did about 8 hours of fab work with my dad in the garage getting the 20 gallon aluminum fuel cell to fit in place of the stock 10.5 gallon. just have to strap it in now and remount the front "grill", nose, idk. haha and run a vent hose. i will post pics in the morning since it is about 3 hours past my normal time to sleep. but it is turning out really well a lot of cutting and welding new steel in. and a lot of fun together. but i am almost back on the road now. also orangecrusher i will have a side pic of the bug for you tomorrow as well. i will even give you a shot of both sides haha
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as there's a week to go it might be a good time to decide where to meet. I'm going to need to reserve a spot at a campground somewhere beginning this week and it'd be nice to be close. I've got a motorhome I'll be pulling the bug with. We'll prolly stay out there till Sunday afternoon. Not looking like the wife wants to get her Jeep dirty yet.
I used to ride those trails on my dirt bikes when I was younger. Are there any certain named trails you're thinking of riding on?

glad to hear your having success with the fuel cell. Some people really struggle with installing them.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camp ground would probably be either woods and waters or there is one on the way into white cloud the name is sloping my mind right now though. Meeting point is negotiable. The name of the trail I am not positive just know how to get there and where I am going I just went out there and it was kind of fun. 1 mud hole that the BFG's tore through but I may need a new fuel pump relay so I will get one on a fast track to my house. Because it quit on me for no reason and the pump won't turn on now unless we shake the relay. But it should be a fun ride and every mud hole had a bypass next to it so if someone isn't feeling comfortable with it they do not have to try it.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: rough weekend Xd Reply with quote

well i will still be ready for this weekend's trip but I went to the dunes yesterday with the bug and a few things happened, 1st thing drove the bug all the way there from Fremont perfectly fine, 2nd thing got my dune flag and made it to the dunes, 3rd went through some water holes (one about 1/4 of the way up my doors) had no issues with them, 4th drove around the dunes for a bit, 5th went up a hill, 6th made it up the hill no problem to find that when I made it to the top of the hill i was no longer in control of my front wheels, 7th got out and realized that the previous owner had tack welded my steering shaft together after it had been broken previously (so a bead weld will be happening tonight no big deal aobut a 30 cent fix (the cost of a welding rod)), lastly found out as I was calling my dad to bring the trailer that somehow my phone came out of my pocket... so that topped off my weekend. so if anyone finds a gold iphone 5s taking a sandbath in the dunes send me a pm but i will have to take some more pictures of everything to post them up here for you all of the fuel cell install.

one heck of a weekend
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounded like a great time up until the shaft broke. Sucks about the phone too.

Just a tip; I buy bosche style relays and corresonding wired harness plugs off Amazon all the time. I'll buy half a dozen of each at a time they're so cheap and I haven't had one go bad yet. Kinda crazy how many I have installed over the years. lol Almost have the pinout memorized.

Bosche Relays on Amazon
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think you could send me a link? that would be awesome! and yea it was a blast up until then! I was surprised how well the km2's were doing in the sand (rears aired down to 5 psi fronts at regular psi) definitely need to get some different shocks at some point in the future though the spring assisted ones are far too rough. bouncing all over the place in there.
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correction i see the link now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: