Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

power steering rack leak
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: power steering rack leak Reply with quote

I was getting ready to do the drivers side front diff flange seal when I realized its not the diff leaking at all. The cadium plated piece on the power steering rack is leaking as shown below. Can I remove this and reseal or are springs n such going to knock me out when I take this off ? The rest of the rack looks good with no leaks. I searched and did not find anything on this particular subject. Thank You.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the cover and gasket leaking. A repair would be easy enough..you may need to cut your own gasket. Napa sells gasket paper.

I would, just to be sure it is the cover leaking..remove the tie wrap on the drivers side boot, pull the boot back and see if you have ATF fluid pushing out of the end seal on the rack. See if the boot is flooded with ATF. That plastic fitting above your leak is a breather to vent air from one side of the rack to the other when you turn the wheels. When the end seal(s) fail..that breather tube fills with power steering fluid (ATF) and can leak out at the fitting..

Your leak may be coming from above at the tube fitting into the rack and running down and collecting on the cover.

Just check first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And..there is a spring, "O" ring(s) ..I just can't recall one or more.. and a thrust bushing in there behind the plate..just be careful when you take it apart..it will go back together without much effort keeping the parts in order. The "O" ring(s) can be sourced at NAPA too.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside the cover is the chamber for the part of the rack that has tooth and the pinion that link to the steering wheel reside. It usually has only grease inside. If you have power steering fluid inside, that mean you have a leak from the part of the power steering that the piston operates. Usually it is the outside of the rack that leaks but in your case, it is the inside. You can open the plate up to take a look, the power steering fluid will not gush out.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering2.htm

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info you guys. I will have time to take the cover off today. I will report back.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no gasket or sealant under this cover. There was grease in there mixed with a tiny bit of ATF. I sealed it with ultra gray to buy me a little time. I just put a new steering rack on my to do list. Thanks a lot.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, Van Cafe has the power steering rack on sale and today is last day. I ordered one yesterday and have seen used ones for not much less.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: