Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A used engine, or The Story of My Stock Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Sounds like a little sand in the vagina to me.. whatever it was it still burns huh..ya gotta let shit go Jake...Hell Im sure he wont have any problem with one of Jose's counterweighted 1600 crank's for the bucket he's working on ..that engine wont see 90 horse or 5000rpm..

When my name is brought up as an endorsement for a product, and isn't accurate- I must set the record straight. Thats exactly what I did in this thread.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there you have it folks------DPR cranks are not good. Looks like JohnnyPan is wrong again. Crying or Very sad
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Well, there you have it folks------DPR cranks are not good. Looks like JohnnyPan is wrong again. Crying or Very sad

I can always count on you to set the record straight.. Rolling Eyes
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:

When my name is brought up as an endorsement for a product, and isn't accurate- I must set the record straight. Thats exactly what I did in this thread.

Sorry, I picked that up from multiple threads dating back several years ago. I simply assumed it was still accurate.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

Sorry, I picked that up from multiple threads dating back several years ago. I simply assumed it was still accurate.

Nothing ever stays the same.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

Don't be sorry scriv, its unbecoming..Ol Jake puts his panties on one leg at a time,just like the rest of us..
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a few parts from the powdercoat shop; had them done in anthractite/clear. Turned out pretty good - I'm satisfied with it!
Did the fan backing plates, alternator case and the crank pulley. Berg degree ring is waiting to go on once I modify the pulley a bit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Finished the major case cleaning, hung the case on my stand, and checked thrust components...
So I have...
Arrow Old thrust bearing-to-case play: .026"
Arrow Thrust surface thickness: right around 21.5mm
Arrow Flywheel shim pack: .035" thick.
All of that together = .0365" total end play, as measured at the flywheel before dis-assembly.

Arrow Main bearing saddles checked out at 2.167".

Arrow Thrust bearing ID = 2.154", or first under on the crank.

Lots more work to come...
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Picked up a few parts from the powdercoat shop; had them done in anthractite/clear. Turned out pretty good - I'm satisfied with it!
Did the fan backing plates, alternator case and the crank pulley. Berg degree ring is waiting to go on once I modify the pulley a bit.

Finished the major case cleaning, hung the case on my stand, and checked thrust components...
So I have...
Arrow Old thrust bearing-to-case play: .026"
Arrow Thrust surface thickness: right around 21.5mm
Arrow Flywheel shim pack: .035" thick.
All of that together = .0365" total end play, as measured at the flywheel before dis-assembly.

Arrow Main bearing saddles checked out at 2.167".

Arrow Thrust bearing ID = 2.154", or first under on the crank.

Lots more work to come...

Looks sharp!
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still working on everything.. got the case cleaned up and ready for machine work, sold the cast c/w crank, and that's about it for now.
Going to drop the case off at Tom's VW here locally to get the thrust cut and a line bore shortly.. I'm collecting all of the missing engine tin to drop it all off for powdercoat in little while too. I keep finding all kinds of little parts in my parts stash that I didn't remember having.. like those heat riser insulator tins that everyon wants $10+/ea for.

I did a no-no... I bead blasted the case.. was reading up on treating magnesium for corrosion, and it recommended glass bead followed by etch, then alodine. After I beaded the case I read up on the samba "media blasting engine case" search.. I will end up boiling the case for a few hours after all the machine work is done, gallery plugs removed and oil passages rifle brushed.

Did NOT know that the beads would embed in the mag.

Last edited by scrivyscriv on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: fuel pump upgrades Reply with quote

Drilled the case for the Bob Hoover HVX oiling mod, came out with no issues.
Currently working on my Pierburg VW fuel pump:

This is the engine it came off of - a locked up 1500. Wish I had all of the parts I sold from it!!

^Corrosion in the upper fuel chamber.^ This was soda blasted with a siphon blaster - all of the corrosion came out easily.

Lnks may go dead in the future, but here are the sources for the tap and fittings:
1/4" hose to 1/16" NPT fitting
1/16" NPT tap

The correct drill for a 1/16" NPT hole is a 'C' drill, followed by a 1/16" NPT tapered reamer. I neither drilled nor reamed the holes on this pump; the tap did just fine on its own. You'll want to take your time tapping these holes to make sure you're going in straight; clear your tap of swarf constantly as you go; and don't try to force more than 1/8 - 1/4 turn at a time. Simple machining common sense, but it's especially important here if you choose not to drill and ream technically "correctly," considering that your bosses are so small.

This work is well within the capabilities of the casual mechanic, and is not very expensive. I wish I would start seeing this modification on more cars! Once I complete the rebuild, I may post this up as a standalone post for fuel pump repair and upgrade.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

where did you source your fuel pump diaphragm or kit? Most that I and others have seen are junk.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought the rebuild kit yet. When I get one, I'll definitely post links to the source and go over the parts thoroughly. Hope to only spend the money one time.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: A step further.. Reply with quote

Pulled out the Solex/Brosol H30/31 and gave it a threaded inlet too:

When I first got the bug running... I fixed up the carb a little, but didn't know what all needed to be done for a full rebuild on it. Now that the engine is out for complete overhaul, I'm taking the carb all the way down for a complete rebuild.. I've got a 120 main jet from ACnet going back in to complement the 55 idle I already put in.

Still working on a source and dimensions for accel shaft bushings/bearings for this H30/31 carb. Any help on that would be much appreciated!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilled, reamed and tapped the case for plugs and full flow oiling:

^^^Highly suggest getting the set of tapered reamers and doing the job correctly. Just saying

^^The barbed 3/8" fitting is just for mockup, I had one lying around.. The finished system is planned with JEGs brand Aeroquip and AN fittings. Don't really care for the barbed push-on type setups.

Couldn't have done it without these two tools, a machinist rule and a grip gauge:

Last but not least, here's my tin from the powdercoat shop:

Case is now ready for line bore and thrust cut

You may continue with your daily Samba viewing now
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
I ceased use of DPR cranks in 2012 after using them for almost 20 years.
That's all I am willing to say on the subject.

I think it would be fair of you to explain yourself a little more clearly on this. Especially because of the way you recommended DPR in the past.

Other vendors, aircooled.net, for example still cary and recommend their product. I find the vague doesn't meet quality standards doesn't quite cut it.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkirb wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:
I ceased use of DPR cranks in 2012 after using them for almost 20 years.
That's all I am willing to say on the subject.

I think it would be fair of you to explain yourself a little more clearly on this. Especially because of the way you recommended DPR in the past.

Other vendors, aircooled.net, for example still cary and recommend their product. I find the vague doesn't meet quality standards doesn't quite cut it.

With all due respect, I'd rather that discussion not happen on this build thread, as it's off topic. I myself am curious about the reasons, but I respect that Jake Raby is simply stating that he/his business does not "endorse" a certain vendor, as my original text seemed to imply. Being a small business owner myself I have no issue with that statement from him.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With all due respect, I'd rather that discussion not happen on this build thread, as it's off topic.

I agree, and I read so far is cause your build is looking quite nice.

Jake is sort of elusive on this form so, the only reason I commented is cause I thought he might actually see it.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went a slightly different direction with this build - sold the bug it was going to be used for, and started working on a bus engine for my new-to-me 1971 bus.
Here's the thread that picks up where I left off here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617774

The case used on this build thread is now a display and mockup-only case due to glass beading it before I knew better.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NPT on the fuel pump is still my favorite part. I'm going to have to do that to -6AN

Bummer about the bug, but hey they come and go.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
The NPT on the fuel pump is still my favorite part. I'm going to have to do that to -6AN

No doubt! You can find the fittings through nitrous supplier sites. I'm just waiting to order my tube flaring tool, and then I'll be 90% hard-line stainless steel 6AN plumbed.. The only rubber will be at the tank, for the standard see-through fuel filter.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: