Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for Motorola White Box Alternator Regulator
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay I understand now. Yeah those two I linked are definitely not gonna do anything for you. I rarely see those Motorola internal/external reg units even discussed here on any of the forums.. you're right everyone just picks up a Bosch clone AL-82.
I can see those Motorola units rapidly becoming less and less useful, 100% because of that oddball regulator assy.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of them and a white box regulator in the Samba Classifieds. But what I am thinking is that it is just a brush is worn down. The 3 prong alternators will work with a number of $15-$30 External Voltage Regulators or Another one and you could probably modify yours to use one if it's the regulator. But yeah, If you take a 12 volt 1156 lamp and connect it between a positive 12 volts and your DF brush, I thinK D- Brush is already grounded. Anyway that should be a way to test if it's the regulator. It should charge if the bushes are good when you by-pass the regulator with the lamp.

I just bought the little brushes on e-bay for like $1.95 or something.

Alternator Brush,

Brush worn down:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1156 Lamp:

B Circuit Voltage Regulator being used with the Motorola AL-8 Series Alternator.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:

You still have the wrong one.

Ah, they look similar.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know: Those aftermarket Motorola Alternator White boxes are hard to find these days, Kind of neat though. Wish I had one to play with. They look a little more formabale than the 3 prong. And it's nice the reg-is built on to the alternator like that.
I need a Motorola alternator regulator. Is another thread about these alternators. It would not take too much electronic prowess to repair the old one with a micro regulator like the L9484 Voltage regulator Digi Key.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for Motorola White Box Alternator Regulator Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but it may be of help to some of you who still have the Motorolla alternator 1975-1979 with the "white box" regulator sitting on top. earlier in this post there was a link for a NOS one at Bug City for $120 but here is the part number M 5-762 for about $55. Now I can try to fix my polished alternator after all these years!
http://store.alternatorparts.com/m5762-voltage-regulator-for-bosch-alternator.aspx
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: