Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

Just held in with some vicegrips and fenders but not bad...I think tomorrow is gong to be fruitful after some trimming and tweaking the metal before tack welding, but I'm excited

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

caleb0101 wrote:
You could also take a raised base 3 pin, cut out the raised section, and weld in a flat piece. Then just make the slots based on some measurements. That's what I did.

If it comes down to it, I may do this, or find one of the non raised 3 tabs. I'm already cheating on the front fenders but idk yet. Where did you get the measurements from?

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)

Last edited by Bret2094 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

nice trick using the old panels as a template for the cuts looks like its going to line up great. The water shortage is no joke here in Ca. 40% of the trees are dead 250 year old oaks and the cattle have licked the pastures down to dirt, its bad.
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

stanovich wrote:
nice trick using the old panels as a template for the cuts looks like its going to line up great. The water shortage is no joke here in Ca. 40% of the trees are dead 250 year old oaks and the cattle have licked the pastures down to dirt, its bad.

I actually am quite proud of that little trick. I started to make some paper templates but thought why the hell not use the old stuff, and don't regret it at all. The weather continues to be wet here, and it was pretty nutty because it was 70 degrees here till the 23th of December or so.

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

its started to rain here (El Nino)so far is bull shit! .15 inches yesterday, the worst part is the grape growers are sucking the earth dry and they dont care . sorry for the rant. I need to go out and look at my Bug
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

Bret2094 wrote:

No I keep looking though. If you have a lead on one around H town let me know. That's been the illusive part to track down that I can afford

Bret

Last year they had a complete 58 ragtop at http://smithforeignauto.com/
The shop/store is not far from me but I have not since gone back. You could try calling them and see if they still have the bug and are parting it out.
stashm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

Love the way your plugging away at this! Popcorn VW Logo Red Bug
1964 Beetle Driver Project Red Bug

Last edited by stashm2 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

stashm2 wrote:
Love the way your plunging away at this! Popcorn VW Logo Red Bug

Yea till you run out of wire for the welder...lol yesterday didnt produce much. I wont get a chance to go get more wire till later today

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

stashm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

Bret2094 wrote:
stashm2 wrote:
Love the way your plunging away at this! Popcorn VW Logo Red Bug

Yea till you run out of wire for the welder...lol yesterday didnt produce much. I wont get a chance to go get more wire till later today

Bret

Been there... What size wire are you using? I know i saw you were using flux core.. I was going to use Flux core on my project but every practice weld I did on old metal blew right through.. So I plan to grab thin solid wire and Shielding Gas..

Cant wait to see more progress! Great job!
1964 Beetle Driver Project Red Bug
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

I use the cheap ass harbor freight welder with the .24 size flux wire and I bought a 5X7 piece of copper from hobby lobby to back the weld. Mainly doing the flux core to prove you can get by with the cheap stuff. The key to welding with the harbor freight stuff is to put it on low and not run solid welds. You have to do a ton of spot welds spread out and let the area cool before you continue welding there

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Cabo9302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

Bret - Did you ever get finished with this? Just curious if the project was abandoned?
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

Cabo9302 wrote:
Bret - Did you ever get finished with this? Just curious if the project was abandoned?

I don't think he's logged in on this site since the beginning of September....
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cabo9302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '59 Baja Ragtop Back To Semi Stock Build Thread Reply with quote

Ok. I was "purging" some of my watched topics and had followed this one closely.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: