Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan Shroud Gasket (Silicone)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Fan Shroud Gasket (Silicone) Reply with quote

Just wanted to take a moment to show what I did today. Not sure how it will work out. I'll keep tabs of things and happily post updates, as we go along.

As many of you well know, these parts (021-256-325A and 021-256-326A) are somewhat difficult to get a hold of. When you do source them, they can be quite pricey, considering how little material is involved. The quotes I received were anywhere from $40-$60. I have not had a problem shelling out cash for quality parts, which we're all well aware are becoming more and more difficult to obtain! However, I just wanted to see what I could come up with.

It struck me that someone had once posted about silicone valve cover gaskets and it got me thinking. I went to Walmart and Target, in the hopes of finding silicone cake moulds. No such luck. Was advised to go to Bed Bath and Beyond. Started looking around for non-stick, silicone, baking sheets. I found a couple. However, they were very thin. Just as I was about to walk out, I saw a cutting board that included a piece of silicone. It appeared to be thick enough, so I bought the set ~ $24.99:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry, should've taken before shots, but you get the idea:

Upon measuring the thickness at home, it was a little more than 2mm thick. I used the templates provided on Ratwell's site:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Heating.html
The information is near the bottom of the page. As always, Thank you Richard!!!

Created templates:

Cut out the new gaskets:

The description on the packaging states that the silicone is heat resistant, up to 675 degrees...that should do Smile

I did have to trim away some of the raised border. It cuts very easily. I used a razor blade to make all the cuts. Nothing fancy, just the type you would use to get stickers off a window:

I'm sure that given enough time, I could have scouted some 3mm silicone sheets off the internet. I was just happy to find something quick, that should be heat resistant and still provide a decent seal. I hope this proves useful! Cool
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bead of high temperature "copper" silicone makes a custom gasket that will seal 100% no matter how bent the cover and heater box are. I use silicone all around between the heater box tin and the fan shroud, this locks the tin to the shroud which stops relative movement and the resulting wear.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
A bead of high temperature "copper" silicone makes a custom gasket that will seal 100% no matter how bent the cover and heater box are. I use silicone all around between the heater box tin and the fan shroud, this locks the tin to the shroud which stops relative movement and the resulting wear.

Hi Wildthings,

Thanks for the reply. I saw your post a while back, explaining how to make the gasket...must confess that it partially inspired this little foray. I was considering using a little dab of silicone when installing these.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: