Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing glue stains from wallpaper fabric
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
So if you grease the seals prior to going back in that would mean you dont get to put any window sealant on it right? If you use linseed oil it will lube the seal for easier install and cures to create a mild sealant.

Properly installed seals do not need sealant.
Linseed may be a good move but Ive never tried it.
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone just removed all that vinyl and left bare metal around the windows? I realized that this is how the sliding door window is, and it looks fine to me.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it would look fine, but consider the work to get it done. You'll have to remove a lot of vinyl, and a LOT of dried on glue. The glue's gotta be hours and hours of spraying adhesive remover, scraping and finally wiping. And if all that scraping and solvent damages the underlying paint, then you've got yet another cosmetically compromised surface to deal with. Then there's the issue of what to do with the edge? You'll have to pick a line somewhere to cut and stop removing headliner - what then? Just leave a raw vinyl edge or purchase some type of edging molding. And I think you'll also find there may be screw holes and other things under there for various other van versions that you weren't aware of but won't want to look at.

So, I'd strongly consider the spray on dye route. Piece of cake compared to removal of the vinyl. I also considered the painted metal since I did a complete body repaint at the same time that included paint on the inside of the doors and slider, etc. But the above issues made me reconsider.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, and good points. I should have mentioned that I actually have the interior completely stripped out right now, so it's not hard to access the vinyl.

In terms of the cut off line, the only really awkward place is at the drivers side B pillar. On the passengers side, the vinyl ends at the sliding door.

Here are some pics of what the vinyl and interior look like right now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

However, the points about having to remove the glue without messing up the paint, and dealing with screw holes, is a good one.

It seems like the best option for my situation is to replace the vinyl with new vinyl from gowesty, or maybe even home depot or joann fabrics or something...
vanagon1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, these are great shots!!!! Will help me a lot. Here are a few ideas i was playing around with. Found a place with some really cool fabrics here

http://www.fabulessfabrics.com/

These are just graphic ideas:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagon1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Masco Fabrics and they called me next day and offered to send me out samples.

Some very nice stuff http://mascofabrics.com/automotive/automotive-fabric/innovations/color/red/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me about 6 yards of #3 and I'll sew you up a whole headliner out of it! Very Happy oh the vertigo!
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me about 6 yards of #3 and I'll sew you up a whole headliner out of it! Very Happy oh the vertigo!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a shirt made out of something like #3. It's one of the coolest shirts I own. Finally, it is back in style. I think I bought it around 25 years ago and it's made of long fiber Egyptian cotton and still looks brand new.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
kuecker2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing glue stains from wallpaper fabric Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure this out myself. Applying Salon 40 or 50 developer does the trick. Don't let it dry and wear gloves when you apply

megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue stains from wallpaper fabric Reply with quote

Did you use an UV light with the product?
datsnice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing glue stains from wallpaper fabric Reply with quote

kuecker2 wrote:
I have been trying to figure this out myself. Applying Salon 40 or 50 developer does the trick. Don't let it dry and wear gloves when you apply

Hey there - is this Salon 40 Developer a beauty product you used to get those stains out? And what do you mean by "don't let it dry"? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing glue stains from wallpaper fabric Reply with quote

I'm curious as well, but it looks like he was last on 5 months ago so your answer may be awhile. Also, to the OP: I don't mean to offend, but could you show before/after pictures of the same spot, please? I could be wrong but studying the window and the corner wrinkles, it looks like you're showing us two different locations. I could be wrong and it's just the skeptic in me. Thanks!!

Doug

PS - update on my dye application. After all these years, it looks as fresh and clean as the day I sprayed it on. I would absolutely do it again if I had the same situation. The overall light and clean headliner look really improves the interior's sense of freshness.
Bambus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing glue stains from wallpaper fabric Reply with quote

Is yall's Googler broken? https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Salon+40+developer

So it is a hair-bleaching thing and the 40 and 50 refer to lower to higher % of peroxide. Looks like it's readily available at beauty supply joints.

BUT: knowing that it's just strong peroxide makes me want to give normal household peroxide a trial on those vinyl stains-- after all, people do lighten their hair with straight OTC peroxide from the grocery/drug store.
datsnice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Removing glue stains from wallpaper fabric Reply with quote

Bambus wrote:
Is yall's Googler broken? https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Salon+40+developer

So it is a hair-bleaching thing and the 40 and 50 refer to lower to higher % of peroxide. Looks like it's readily available at beauty supply joints.

BUT: knowing that it's just strong peroxide makes me want to give normal household peroxide a trial on those vinyl stains-- after all, people do lighten their hair with straight OTC peroxide from the grocery/drug store.

Um yeah. That's exactly why I asked him about it, because I Googled it and saw it was beauty supply product. The bleach thing made sense but not a typical product for van work so just wanted to doublecheck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: