Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you brew coffee in the camper?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you brew your coffee in the camper?
Coffee Press
51%
 51%  [ 139 ]
Instant ground
11%
 11%  [ 31 ]
Stovetop espresso maker
16%
 16%  [ 44 ]
Dripper
17%
 17%  [ 48 ]
Cold brew
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Drive-thru, if available
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 271

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

yeah and after your 3rd or 4th inductive espresso while running some heat parked down by the surf beach. you can't make it back home on the remaining electric reserve in your battery/fuel cell.

takes ALOT of energy to heat water to near boiling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Then just drink one and go for a bike ride on the Brompton. I don't want a Nissan but I like the idea.

I bothers me that the guy is wearing a hat like that inside the van Laughing

Here is the video
http://youtu.be/5hCcR9yTCmc
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Hank you've reminded me to clean out my cabinet.

Now I'm interested in a grinder. It has always bothered me pre-grinding before a trip. I almost ordered the GSI but I like the look ff the Hario. I'd sure like to test both of them before buying. It's an important part of the ritual - I enjoy the ritual.

Also thankful to see that Hario kettle with the long accurate spout. It might take up some space, but will be satisfying washing the grounds down the sides of the paper. I'd like to see a pic of the kettle on a Westy stove, or with something to gauge the 'size' or scale.

Good stuff!

Sorry it took awhile, but:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

syncropatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

figborg wrote:

William Hardie - well known for wearing hats, plus a rather creative chap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aozk7ECQx4g
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

figborg wrote:

Hipster-oriented marketing. Does it have a turntable so the trilby-wearing neckbeard can listen to his collection of bands you've never heard of on vinyl?
Still looks like a douche-nozzle!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

are you saying his van never leaves Brooklyn?
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Come to think of it, if Solpad comes out in 2018 then maybe I will be able to bring my new Ascaso Dream Up espresso machine in the Westy. Laughing

I'm loving the Ascaso, but yeah, shore power only so far...

http://solpad.com/product/solpad-home/

Link

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

There's more energy in the manufacturer of that panel than all the coo=fee one can drink in a lifetime. We need a Si credit tax to hit the greensters over the head for stupidity,
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Aeropress all the way.

If you're not using an Aeropress yet, for your morning brew, you're seriously missing out.

Beans from my pals at Counterpart Coffee Roasting up here in Squamish, BC.

Water at 200°F (I keep a nice little instant read thermometer in the drawer in the van, and have a little hole drilled in the lid of my GSI halulite kettle to hold it).

20 grams of coffee, finely ground, loaded into the Aeropress. Pour 200°F water into the Aeropress. I used the inverted brewing method with the Aeropress, and fill to just below full, in two pours — first half full, then a little stir to wet out the beans fully, and then fill to top.

Wait 45 seconds, cap the aeropress with a filter and the filter holder, invert into your favourite mug, press slowly, and bam — a cup worthy of kings, every time.

Takes about a minute and a half for each cup, and every one of them's a treasure to quaff.
Botofusup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I love coffee as well and started roasting my own beans at home in an air popcorn popper, works great-try it! We've used the perculator, French press or pour over, anything that does not need a filter... I hate trash and having to remember one more item. This is the pour over filter I use at home and camping.
Yitelle Stainless Steel Pour Over Coffee Cone Dripper with Cup Stand and Scooping Spoon Plus Cleaning Brush https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8J5VKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_avaDzbJYA9ZYD

A little French press lives in the van, it takes up very little room.
Botofusup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I love coffee as well and started roasting my own beans at home in an air popcorn popper, works great-try it! We've used the perculator, French press or pour over, anything that does not need a filter... I hate trash and having to remember one more item. This is the pour over filter I use at home and camping.
Yitelle Stainless Steel Pour Over Coffee Cone Dripper with Cup Stand and Scooping Spoon Plus Cleaning Brush https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8J5VKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_avaDzbJYA9ZYD

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I have a friend who got an aero press and was all excited to show it to me and how it worked. Somehow he managed to spray coffee all over the place while pressing it--I wasn't as impressed as he hoped... Once he did get a cup brewed properly, I'm not sure I could taste a difference.

I've been doing French press the last few camping trips. I heat the water in my percolator, then pour it into the press.

I did just do the percolator before that, but always had issues with the water not draining into the coffee reservoir fast enough, and then flowing out. Or I'd have a lot of work into setting the flame just right to keep it from overflowing.

I'm wondering if I drilled the top holes just a touch larger if it would work better. Then I wouldn't have to carry the press along, and save some space.

Pro tip for percolator coffee, if that's what you do:

To counter the effects of potentially boiling the coffee, as well as help the grounds settle, add some crushed up, dried egg shells to the grounds. The calcium will balance out/negate some of the acids that are extracted and the protein from the leftover, dried egg white and membrane will cause and grounds/sludge to settle out more quickly. A little salt added to the grounds will enhance the flavor.

Sounds crazy, but it does work. In some countries (such as Scandinavian countries, IIRC), they'll add a whole egg to the brew for the same purposes.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Botofusup wrote:

Hey, what kind of capacity does that thing have? Would it hold enough grounds to fill, say, a 16 ounce mug?

I was looking at that and thinking it would take up less room than the French press I have, which doesn't quite fit easily in my Westy cabinet anyway. But I'd be annoyed if I had to clean the grounds and such halfway through just to fill my mug.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

French Press pot, holds about a quart.

— Colin Chapman
Botofusup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Botofusup wrote:

Hey, what kind of capacity does that thing have? Would it hold enough grounds to fill, say, a 16 ounce mug?

I was looking at that and thinking it would take up less room than the French press I have, which doesn't quite fit easily in my Westy cabinet anyway. But I'd be annoyed if I had to clean the grounds and such halfway through just to fill my mug.

It will hold plenty of grounds, it would take a little time to fill 16oz but I don't see why not. When the grounds get saturated the drip slows down. Getting the corseness of the ground right helps too, I also bought a hand grinder so if I have beans I don't need electricity. I'll try making a double, should not be much of an issue.
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Quote:
For luxury campervanning (my van) I'm a big fan of my recent acquirement, another vote for the Bellman;

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was on the lookout and purchased a Bellman, even before we bought the van, because I knew we needed a good way to make the early morning coffee for M. that met his exacting standards. So we, too, vote for the Bellman. Added benefits is the frother wand warms up the hot chocolate for E. and son, just like at home using the .....

Quote:
pavoni europiccola
No instant Swiss Miss for us.

We don't feel clean up is that problematic or cumbersome--la Pavoni has a similar rinse out. Hearing the "hiss" when the temp is just right is music to our ears. Maybe that is why people started coming over asking about the van, they heard the "music" and were interested in a good cup of cappuccino.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

This is my current setup:
Kona french press 32 oz:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FMJDJ5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this grinder:
Kona Slim grinder:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PVVKH42/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Grinder can take approx 5 tablespoons of unground beans per use. I typically store my coffee beans in a plastic bag inside of my french press for packing.

This setup has worked really great for me, simple and easy.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

used an Aeropress for a while but am back to drip

I'd like to rip an espresso machine out of a Fiat tho
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There's more energy in the manufacturer of that panel than all the coo=fee one can drink in a lifetime. We need a Si credit tax to hit the greensters over the head for stupidity,

Actually you have that bass-ackwards, we need a tax on gluttons for their stupidity.
Considering that solar panels easily last 25 to 30 years, if used, they pay back the cost of manufacturing within a fraction of their lifespans.

While that goofy Solpad gizmo is aimed squarely at hi-tek hipsters, (I hate appliances that try to talk to me!) the idea of a compact, easy to use, all-in-one solar panel is sound. The easier it is to use solar, the more people will.
My partner uses a small solar charging panel to recharge all our rechargeable batteries we use around the house and camping, works great. The panel and those batteries have paid for themselves several times already over the cost of disposable batteries.

On the coffee issue- (can't stand the stuff myself) the the other half just boils water and pours it through that expensive self ground stuff into one of those cones with a filter directly over a cup. It's the least messy compared to the other methods. The grounds (and filter) come home for the compost pile.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I don't, I'm not addicted Shocked I'm always amazed when I see someone walking around with a cup of coffee in their hand while doing daily chores.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 17

Jump to: