Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you brew coffee in the camper?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you brew your coffee in the camper?
Coffee Press
51%
 51%  [ 139 ]
Instant ground
11%
 11%  [ 31 ]
Stovetop espresso maker
16%
 16%  [ 44 ]
Dripper
17%
 17%  [ 48 ]
Cold brew
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Drive-thru, if available
2%
 2%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 271

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
https://www.wired.com/story/best-portable-espresso-makers/

they did not review the Aeropress since it doesn't make espresso

they also did not review covfefe makers Twisted Evil

I got the nanopresso on Kickstarter a few years back. It makes a darn good shot of espresso but I still default to drip (called pour-over by portlanders nowadays) most days. Fill a vacuum bottle and an insulated cup (both pre heated) and enjoy coffee for the morning. If there's a crowd I'll make a pot of French press coffee but it's a bit messy and water intensive to clean up.

I gave away the aero press years ago. Too much stuff not doing enough to earn its place.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried a Kelly Kettle? It's more of an outside pot vs in the van.

If so, what are your thoughts on it? It seems like the tilting feature is a little strange. I think I would rather have a rigid handle of some sort.

https://www.kellykettleusa.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Has anyone tried a Kelly Kettle? It's more of an outside pot vs in the van.

If so, what are your thoughts on it? It seems like the tilting feature is a little strange. I think I would rather have a rigid handle of some sort.

https://www.kellykettleusa.com/

That's neat! I wish I had the opportunity to camp more and have more need for those sorts of things!

I recently had a gift card to REI, so I picked up a collapsible silicone pour over coffee maker. I still have the collapsible silicone kettle, so what I've started doing is fill my mug with water, dump that into the kettle, and set it on the burner. Then the pourover goes on top of the mug, gets filled with grounds, and then I can pour away once it's boiling.

After using that a few times and being satisfied that it is a great move, the French Press went back into the house. That saves quite a bit of room in the cabinet.

Haven't camped with the wife yet since this move, but I think she'll like it too. She wanted a fancy pour over maker for the house as a wedding gift. She uses it less than once a month...

I also got a couple poly-carbonate stemless wine glasses. Those were a hit.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Yep we're using a collapsible silicone kettle and combover too.
Nice that the new stuff saves space.

Anyone ROASTing green coffee at the campsite?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Ya know, with all these huge LiFePO4 batteries, why not use a 12v electric kettle, you can heat water while driving and then stop and make coffee.
Or your passenger makes tea while driving.

Link

We grind our beans with a Hario "Skerton" coffee mill.
Often......we've wished it too was electric......

If you have an electric drill/driver, it can be done !

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I have absolutely zero need for that KellyKettle ............

But I really want one!

As far as making coffee ...... for my Birthday two weeks ago my Wife gave me a Stanley thermos coffee cup kit with a filter free one cup drip ability.
20 oz cup with filter Part # 10-09566-001

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088JXMG3B/ref=sspa_dk_d...s9dHJ1ZQ==

It looks really nice but it looks like a wet coffee ground clean up nightmare.
But.......
I haven't tried it yet so I can't condemn it just yet.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

500 watt electric from the local thrift store for $3.00. Works fine off the 500 watt inverter.

Duncan
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Only looked through a few pages on the topic, but wonder if anyone posted about what my father-in-law called "Cowboy Coffee". He put the grounds in a pot of cold water the night before with egg shells. The next morning heated it up to under a boil to prevent the grounds which were on the bottom from mixing. Delicious and no grounds or coffee "silt" in the cup.

Duncan
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I keep a double wall stainless French press in the 72 camper and an Aeropress “Go” in the 85 Vanagon. I prefer the Aeropress Go. It’s small, self contained, and simple to clean. Easy to make multiple cups of coffee and I prefer the taste over the French Press.

https://aeropress.com/aeropress-go/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

We've been enjoying pour over with a collapsible dripper. I use paper filters so clean up is easy. These go into our compost container (a large coffee tin).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I love that less than 3% choose wanker drive through. It’s a class act here.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Drivethru---------Never. But.........

Back in the Cretaceous, the worst coffee in the world was in gas stations, or as they were then called, filling stations. A moldy pot that hadn't been cleaned for decades, a quarter full of what looked like old 30 weight with heat under it for at least 36 hours.

Then, there was an amazing change with convenience store/filling stations where they wanted to attract customers and bought good coffee and had a dozen different vacuum pots of various varieties and which got changed frequently. Although we brew, we also buy at these new emporiums from time to time when we "fill up" and get ice.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Well.....

After having posted about my Stanley cup top filterless drip basket, I thought I should try it.

I make a one cup drip every morning using a Melitta paper cone filter.
The strength results vary by how quickly I pour the single serve quantity of coffee into the cone.
The entire quantity in one pour = OK .... but a weak brew.
If I dribble it in the results are much better.

I did two small pours as I figure out the filters oddities, the cup of coffee is quite good.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Some people like drip coffee Shocked Very Happy

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Some people like……..

Link

I had a schoolboy crush on TG back in the day Anxious

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I keep a double wall stainless French press in the 72 camper and an Aeropress “Go” in the 85 Vanagon. I prefer the Aeropress Go. It’s small, self contained, and simple to clean. Easy to make multiple cups of coffee and I prefer the taste over the French Press.

Are you using it for just yourself? I’m tempted to try it because of the rave reviews on taste and less mess, but I would always be making for two and sometimes three. I know some add hot water, but wondering if I’d be better off with a pour over setup.

Lately we’ve been putting premade drip in a mason jar and gently reheating for shorter trips. Easy clean up and tasty.
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

Fun thread. Easy distraction for actually getting anything done, thank you : )
Coffee is a MUST. Stanley Classic Travel Press 16oz does the deal.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Are you using it for just yourself? I’m tempted to try it because of the rave reviews on taste and less mess, but I would always be making for two and sometimes three. I know some add hot water, but wondering if I’d be better off with a pour over setup.

Lately we’ve been putting premade drip in a mason jar and gently reheating for shorter trips. Easy clean up and tasty.

Just a couple of cups for the wife and I. Maybe another. For me, it’s just so easy to use. Even if you don’t bloom the coffee before you press, it’s still a nice cup of Joe. My sister and her husband have a fancy Promaster van with a coffee maker. They prefer the Aeropress. They even use it at home in the kitchen. They’ve had every coffee/espresso machine known. Aeropress is their favorite.

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

I have used the MiiR Pourigami https://www.miir.com/products/pourigami-portable-travel-coffee-dripper with good results. In my opinion fresh coffee is the number one contributor to a good camper coffee (besides the camper!). Then the execution.

I have also gone full Westy Coffee shop before!

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Reply with quote

physast wrote:
I have used the MiiR Pourigami https://www.miir.com/products/pourigami-portable-travel-coffee-dripper with good results. In my opinion fresh coffee is the number one contributor to a good camper coffee (besides the camper!). Then the execution.

I have also gone full Westy Coffee shop before!

Good on you. I feel lame now. Thankfully people are out there like you. Applause

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: