Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar with NO permanent mods
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee-Dubs 87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright well thats good to know. I just see everyone running 10 or 12 awg so I assumed thats all I'd be able to get away with

crazyvwvanman wrote:
That depends on the wire distance between the charge controller and the battery as well as the watts of the panel. But why not use 10 awg where there isn't an issue with squeezing it into an existing narrow aperture?

Runs of light wire between the panel and charge controller will reduce the charging but not by as much as some people might think. So for example when using a detached panel set out way away from the van in the sun you don't have to run such heavy wire out to the panel if you can live with some loss.

Mark

Vee-Dubs 87 wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:
I wouldn't worry about making 10 awg wire fit, use something smaller. Using 14 awg would be fine for 100 watt or less if the run isn't too long.

Mark

How about to the battery? Would 14 gauge do the trick too?
Vee-Dubs 87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a relief to hear. I bought the panel before I decided to add a second battery so I was concerned I might not have enough charging but it sounds like I might be alright then. I run an LED tv, Coleman powercool and several 12 volt sockets for laptops and cell phones. Biggest draw is my old school DC swamp cooler but thats only running when its unbearably hot out.
I do have a 100 watt folding panel with a built in controller and alligator clips but I only really like to use that if I absolutely have to. Roof panel is going to be responsible for the bulk of the charging

MSmyth wrote:
Vee-Dubs 87 wrote:

I just picked up a 100 watt Renogy panel and a 30 amp controller from eBay plus a second 122 ah battery from Wally World, so I have some tinkering to do anyway. I will update with pics.
I'm all about the ideas on this, so if anyone else has a good one, keep em coming. Thanks!

That is the panel I have. My house batteries (two 6 volt golf cart batteries from Sam's Club) power my truck fridge, house lights, an inverter that doesn't get much use, and three 12 volt outlets that get a lot of use charging devices. I'm always fully charged (battery separator light on) by noon each day. I truly couldn't be happier with the setup.

One basic lesson I did learn on battery conservation is to keep the truck fridge freezer packed full. Having that thermal mass keeps the fridge operating at its most efficient. I keep a box of otter pops in the closet and put them in the freezer as needed to replace food as we use it. (Makes us real popular with the kids camping nearby too!)
Windig89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware the power cool or powerchill I think it's called is a juice hog!! You can't compare a thermal electric cooler from Walmart to the efficiency of a truckfridge/arb/ engel. It will be your biggest draw. I have a power cool and 45 Ahr battery, 2 -3 hours and the battery is dead, you might be lucky and get 12 hours with your setup running the cooler . 130 watt panel will no way keep up with it. Personally I won't be buying bigger batteries/ solar until a new fridge is acquired first.

Just warning you to avoid disappointment Sad
alain riaud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boostd wrote:
Beware the power cool or powerchill I think it's called is a juice hog!! You can't compare a thermal electric cooler from Walmart to the efficiency of a truckfridge/arb/ engel. It will be your biggest draw. I have a power cool and 45 Ahr battery, 2 -3 hours and the battery is dead, you might be lucky and get 12 hours with your setup running the cooler . 130 watt panel will no way keep up with it. Personally I won't be buying bigger batteries/ solar until a new fridge is acquired first.

Just warning you to avoid disappointment Sad

That's a really wise suggestion. Thermal electric coolers are not a good fit for solar only systems.
Vee-Dubs 87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I admittedly made a mistake on the Powerchill purchase. I guess it was sticker shock on the Engels that made me go with the thermoelectric, but I didn't realize how inefficient they actually were. The Truckfridge option is out because I'm not keen on pulling the Dometic. I'd rather leave the Dometic there and use for storage when I'm dry camping than pull it and mess with the propane lines, but that's just me...although the extra cabinet space would be nice. Once I have the new solar (came in the mail Friday) and second aux battery in place, the fridge situation is next to be addressed.
Dying to get the van back from the shop so I can get to some of these projects. In the last two months it's got a fresh EJ25 swap with the RMW kit, GW lift springs and spacers, new MB wheels, 225/75 BFG ATs, and a 28" LED smart TV. Once the new solar setup is in, I think the Westy wallet is going to be closed for a while until I can find a deal on a 12v fridge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: