Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I replace a pancake with a 1600 or ANYTHING else!?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddwhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Can I replace a pancake with a 1600 or ANYTHING else!? Reply with quote

I'm working on my brothers bus whos in Iraq. I have had lots of bugs before but never worked on buses. This thing is a 1973 bus with a pancake motor in it. I am going totally crazy after only one day JUST trying to get the alternator out which was on fire. Very Happy

Anyway- this bus is the Miramar USMC's mascott (Evil Eye)painted like a helicopter and it is my job to save it while there fighting oversees. The motor is done(probably a blown rod but I can't even get the tins off the motor to do a compression test!

My question is can I put a regular non-pancake motor in this 73 bus? If I just fix this one, it will never get any love because nobody down there will have the patience to work on it. Are there any maintenance manuals on these motors? I have the main manual but it dosen't seem to go into these motors. Any advice would be appreciated.

-todd - help me save evil eye!
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could swap in a 1600, but you'll need one with a universal case, so that you can attach the support bar, and you'll need to get bay bus tin for it, or the fibreglass kit. The Bentley manual covers type 4 motors. If you do a search for type 4 in this forum, you ought to come up with some info about them, also check out www.type2.com for more info.

Good luck with the Evil Eye!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like you're trying to swat a fly with a sledge hammer!

Start by trying to understnad what this engine is all about. It's laid out in a very logical and understandable manner. Lot's of stuff may not seems very accessible at first but all's it takes is a little time.

my first compression check took a whole afternoon. Now I can do all four cylinders in about 15 minutes ( thats included showering , grabbing some breakfast and kicking the cat).

Do you
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you brother a terrific favor...

If the motor needs rebuilding. Do it the way VW intended. Give him something to REALLY come home for.. he deserves it.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type IV's are takin' over, baby.

Here's a photo of the mustache bar for a 68-71 bus. Any case that can bolt up to it is a suitable candidate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddwhite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: 2 Questions Reply with quote

Thanks bottom end, your right I'm back on board with saving Evil Eye

1) Is it possible to take off the top right tin (above the alternator) with the engine in the bus? I have taken out a total of 7 or so screws but something seems to be caught all the way in the back. I've spent hours trying to find it and feeling my way around back there but have found nothing.

2) The alternator seems to be hard wired, first I've seen of this. What's the deal do I need to cut the hot lead just to get it out? The other wires can be chased back to a plug but the hot lead is hard wired and dissapears into the firewall.
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd, Welcome! Here's what involved in the alternator - it's not pretty, but very straightforward once you have some instructions in front of you.

http://www.type2.com/bartnik/alternator.html

You've come to the right place - just keep asking questions. If you don't have a Bentley manual, they're under $30 at Amazon. See ratwell's article on manuals ... http://homepage.mac.com/ratwell/RepairManuals.html
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
regalasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an ad in the Recycler.com website, some guy in LA is selling a running motor out of a '73. He is asking $1K. Go to the auto parts section, search on the word Volkswagen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: