Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just lost someone I Love to Cancer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

I lost my mom and her brother 2 weeks ago, 66 and 60 respectively. Both diagnosed 5 weeks ago and both gone within 3 days of each other. It's my moms birthday today I'm having a drink with family in her memory.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
I lost my mom and her brother 2 weeks ago, 66 and 60 respectively. Both diagnosed 5 weeks ago and both gone within 3 days of each other. It's my moms birthday today I'm having a drink with family in her memory.

Damn, that is insane man. I'm so sorry.

oprn wrote:
I have lost so many relatives and friends to cancer that I have given up counting. A friend (lost his wife a year ago to breast cancer) is in remission now with a brain tumor and we went to visit my flying buddy today who has but a few weeks left with us.

There is no one these days untouched in some personal way by this scourge!

I agree, and it is so sad!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
baz76 wrote:

Thanks man, it's crazy it's taken them both together like this yet its given me some solace that perhaps there is meaning behind it all, they were close siblings and I hope they are together again somewhere. Right as we put mom in the ground a double rainbow appeared in the graveyard above us, I like to think that was mom and Dave sending us a sign.

Both non drinkers and non smokers too, I expected my mom to live to 80+ like her mom did, instead she's gone at 66 like her father who died from a heart attack 25 years ago.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
calebmelvin wrote:
baz76 wrote:

Thanks man, it's crazy it's taken them both together like this yet its given me some solace that perhaps there is meaning behind it all, they were close siblings and I hope they are together again somewhere. Right as we put mom in the ground a double rainbow appeared in the graveyard above us, I like to think that was mom and Dave sending us a sign.

Both non drinkers and non smokers too, I expected my mom to live to 80+ like her mom did, instead she's gone at 66 like her father who died from a heart attack 25 years ago.

I read somewhere that there is a theory that people in grief are the closest to god (or Mother Nature, or the afterlife, or whatever you believe in) in such a raw state and notice these signs where others cannot (or will not because they are too busy). I really believe that to be true. I had experiences like yours with the rainbow that were too random to be left to chance. They were wonderful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

calebmelvin wrote:
baz76 wrote:
calebmelvin wrote:
baz76 wrote:

I read somewhere that there is a theory that people in grief are the closest to god (or Mother Nature, or the afterlife, or whatever you believe in) in such a raw state and notice these signs where others cannot (or will not because they are too busy). I really believe that to be true. I had experiences like yours with the rainbow that were too random to be left to chance. They were wonderful.

I'm with you 100%. Luckily we have photos of the rainbows to prove we weren't imagining it all, the timing was too precise to be something random too. I believe it was a reassuring sign that my mom or some part of her lives on elsewhere and I'll hopefully meet her again.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

It's been a busy weekend again here. Saturday evening was spent with a close friend who is battling a brain tumor, just finished having his second surgery to remove it in January and is done Chemo and radiation treatments now. He lost his wife to breast cancer a year ago and has 3 teenagers at home...

This morning we spent with another very close friend who is dealing with a re-occurrence of breast cancer - in her lungs now but seems to be holding it at bay for the present.

This afternoon we sent with the wife's cousin and her husband. He is in the final stages of pancreatic cancer, bed ridden and sometimes bright enough to visit with a bit.

I feel a bit overwhelmed by this disease!
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

From the pick earlier my dad and his ghia. I lost him last week. He fought a good fight but the cancer was to fast. I’m glad he is not in pain anymore and is with his parents now. Chemo is some rough stuff I don’t think I want to go through that for myself. I’ll just take my chances.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

galencurrington - sorry to hear that.

I lost my father years ago to cancer.
For me, there will never be a good reason why things like cancer have to exist. Maybe I'm not all-knowing enough in this life, but for now, no one can give me a good enough reason.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Lost Dad to Cancer in 2003
Lost Mom to Cancer in 2004
Lost Marsha, my Sister to Cancer in 2017

Cancer is going to get you, but FIGHT IT YOU MUST
Everyone that fights Cancer gives the rest of us a better chance when we fight it.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Lost my Mommy when I was 17 to inoperable malignant breast cancer. She went to the hospital in 1988, my junior year in high school. It was April. In September, of 1989, 2-1/2 months after I graduated from high school, she passed away at The City of Hope in Duarte, Ca. The time between the start and end of that horrible time was life changing. Lost my mommy, my father became an alcoholic and my mother’s family became over bearing. Me and my sister were left by our father. We figured it out when the electricity turned off. Shitty time through life and one I never wish upon anyone.

During that time, I would walk to the library, to get away, and consume books. Mostly technical manuals. I had also been restoring a 55 Bug which Momma went with me to purchase and drag home. So, now when I work on Bugs, I often will think of her. Been 30 years and still makes me cry.

FUCK cancer!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

I must be the only samba member who hasn’t stumbled upon this thread lol. This is real late but sorry to hear that crukab. I hope you are healing from this. Things like this take a long time to heal from. Especially the ones who were there for you. I lost my mom when I was 12, she died from melanoma at age 48. Started off with a opened mole looking thing that wouldnt heal on her back. She had another type of cancer too, forgot what it was called. I believe it was lymphoma but I can’t remember. She fought long and hard for about a year. Started off with a positive chance of her living until sh*t went downhill real fast. She ended up having a stroke about a month before she passed. Something that most don’t understand is that cancer is very painful. she would cry from the pain almost daily even with the pain pills. I could imagine knowing that something is literally eating you alive as you fight for survival. She died while I was at her bed side at the hospital. I suppose it was peaceful as for she was on oxygen and she wasn’t very conscious. My dad would talk to her and she would move a toe or a finger. I think about her almost every day. She was a very kind hippi lady who at the same time would put up with anybody’s bullshit lol. Not sure how those two things go along but it doesn’t matter really Smile Enough of my rant tho, we all have enough crap spewing around in the world, right Cool

Bottom line, FUCK CANCER
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"

Last edited by Chickensoup on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferrety66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

I am sorry for you loss. God bless and provides you with strength.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

I lost a close friend to prostate cancer in Nov 2019 - and it saddened me a lot. I was out of state when it happened. He was my longest VW friend ..almost 30 years. He had told me he was fine. I even helped him move his tools from the shop as I had told him to stop killing himself since he was retired and just do this as hobby.

The bad part is that I did not find out he was gone till March. I have changed phones and a lot of the numbers did not transfer. I was wondering why he was not calling me. Until, someone called me wanting to have a case bored...is when I found out. I feel so bad.

And two years before that, I went to school w / a girl and worked with her for years. She ended up w/ ALS and gone by two years. I took care of her too in the hospital.

I witness a lot of dying and suffering coz of the nature of my work in the hospital. I picked up this VW hobby so keep my mind straight, otherwise I will go nuts.

YOu all take care of your families and enjoy them to the fullest. God bless.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Lost my Mommy when I was 17 to inoperable malignant breast cancer. She went to the hospital in 1988, my junior year in high school. It was April. In September, of 1989, 2-1/2 months after I graduated from high school, she passed away at The City of Hope in Duarte, Ca. The time between the start and end of that horrible time was life changing. Lost my mommy, my father became an alcoholic and my mother’s family became over bearing. Me and my sister were left by our father. We figured it out when the electricity turned off. Shitty time through life and one I never wish upon anyone.

During that time, I would walk to the library, to get away, and consume books. Mostly technical manuals. I had also been restoring a 55 Bug which Momma went with me to purchase and drag home. So, now when I work on Bugs, I often will think of her. Been 30 years and still makes me cry.

FUCK cancer!

Thanks for bumping this one forward NS.

VW_jimbo , you owe me a failed keyboard from water intrusion. Thats a tough start on life. Give Moms Bug a Hug from Me.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

When I was starting out w/ automotive and machining, I must have read the entire wing of the library on automotive anything. Laughing

Took care of a patient about 28yr w/ testicular cancer, with mets on the ventilator. He died of it from complications w/ other things. REminded me of HBB. Such a tragedy when we see many young people this happen to.

When I know I am gonna shed a tear, I quickly remove myself from the room. No need to add the sorrow.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

My better half laughs because Im great with people with Death and Dying - but pets turn me into friggin Niagara Falls.

Got one of the Ark in surgery today and Im a hot mess.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Gary LeBlanc of Suburban Engine, Waltham, MA, passed away earlier this week from cancer. He was a superb VW engine builder and had been carrying on the Boston Bob tradition of engine building. Many of us have engines that Gary assembled over the years. He will be sorely missed.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
My better half laughs because Im great with people with Death and Dying - but pets turn me into friggin Niagara Falls.

Thats because a lot of people suck... most animals, not so much Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Thats because a lot of people suck... most animals, not so much Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

🐈🦮🐕🐘🦛🦏
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I just lost someone I Love to Cancer Reply with quote

Well, my Mom passed yesterday, Oct, 1st, it was the Alzheimer's .
She started on this path 6+ years ago, it just showed up more after my Dad went in 2014. My two brothers live near her home, our house for 58 years,
They kept care of her, all the errands, shopping ect. running over to her house to "fix" the TV and all the little things. In 2018 I was the one to leave her at the Nursing home Crying or Very sad And it was a slow down hill spiral, the last 7 months she stopped walking, would not eat or get up in the last 2 months, last 2 weeks on Morphine. My sister & I live out of state, so we took turns camping out at a "Cottage" they have, VERY limited visiting hours...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: