Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Great tip on testing your level for accuracy.
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

I've been watching this guys videos while out sick from school this past week. The Honest Carpenter's tip on testing an old or new level for accuracy is awesome. I should make his videos homework for my students when we start shop lessons. Glad I had all my vaccines including the pneumonia vax but the common cold got me and I'm embarrassed. Embarassed Let my guard down over Thanksgiving, never taking my mask off when with others, ever.

Link

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

I grew up in the trades and checking tools for accuracy was a task completed on a weekly basis.

I was taught to check my levels by stacking them. Sounds weird but it works great. Currently, on my work truck, I carry a string level, a torpedo level, a laser level (has a bubble at the top of the case), a 3 ft carpenter’s level, a 3’ tiling level, a 4’ carpenter’s level and a 6’ carpenter’s level. I rely on these heavily and so do my guys. Once a month, I buy lunch for everyone. I set up my 6’ level and level it on a pair of saw horses, by shimming one side or the other. Then I start stacking the 4’, check it. The 3’ and check it. The tiling 3’ and check it. And so on down the line. Typically check about 20 levels on that lunch period.

One time, YES, ONE TIME. Several years back, I started checking the levels. Set up the trusted 6’ level and then started to stack levels. All of the stacked levels were off! There were 4 of them, all reading the same inclination. In disbelief that I was going to have to buy a new 6’ level. I broke out my water level, from the shop. It is a 150 foot long section of 3/8 inch clear hose, filled with water. Each end has a line where level is, in relation to each end. So that if they were place side by side, the line, lines up, level! (Just in case you do not know about that type of level. I use it for setting up foundations. Easier than a transit and way easier!)

Anyways, I broke this monster out and set it up, so that each end of the tube was lined up with the top of the level. Yep, as plain as day, you could see the water was low on one end and high at the other end, when the level was level, according to the slewed bubble. In setting the 6’ level “level” the water tube level was off. And you know that is not correct. So, the obvious decision was that the 6’ level finally got dropped one to many times!

Long to short. A water tube level is a great tool for checking levels with. Just another way to do it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

Yep. Plumb bobs and water levels, gravity never lies.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I grew up in the trades and checking tools for accuracy was a task completed on a weekly basis.

I was taught to check my levels by stacking them. Sounds weird but it works great. Currently, on my work truck, I carry a string level, a torpedo level, a laser level (has a bubble at the top of the case), a 3 ft carpenter’s level, a 3’ tiling level, a 4’ carpenter’s level and a 6’ carpenter’s level. I rely on these heavily and so do my guys. Once a month, I buy lunch for everyone. I set up my 6’ level and level it on a pair of saw horses, by shimming one side or the other. Then I start stacking the 4’, check it. The 3’ and check it. The tiling 3’ and check it. And so on down the line. Typically check about 20 levels on that lunch period.

Next time you are comparing everyone's levels do their tape measures too, compare various dimensions short and longer, I've done it a few times on bigger jobs, the results are surprising how far off some are. Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

I just swapped ends on my level several times a day, and look for discrepancies. No pencil required. Been using lasers for most everything I touch anymore, except for quick inspections.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Next time you are comparing everyone's levels do their tape measures too, compare various dimensions short and longer, I've done it a few times on bigger jobs, the results are surprising how far off some are. Shocked

Whenever anyone was cutting for someone else on a job, we compared tapes. Inevitably, someone's level had "a tweaked beak" from being dropped. Easy to fix.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I've been watching this guys videos while out sick from school this past week. The Honest Carpenter's tip on testing an old or new level for accuracy is awesome. I should make his videos homework for my students when we start shop lessons. Glad I had all my vaccines including the pneumonia vax but the common cold got me and I'm embarrassed. Embarassed Let my guard down over Thanksgiving, never taking my mask off when with others, ever.

Link

He has some great stuff. I have enjoyed watching his videos, too.

Honestly, I thought that process was common knowledge. After a little thought, I get why it isn't. Was taught it by a very smart man, a very long time ago.

I have a nice Stabila set of magnetic levels I have been using for nearly two decades with no issues. I have an odd Irwin 4', that I can adjust the vial with a hex key. That is my beater level, for doing concrete forms and such.

I bought a 1980's Japanese made transit (a long distance level) this summer. At first I thought it was way off, then I realized I was setting it wrong, since I was accustomed to a very different transit that my boss had owned for many years. I am looking forward to using that transit for a few projects around the property next summer.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

Spirit levels should be calibrated at least once a week by dropping them off the scaffold you are working on.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

Not gonna watch a utube video, but any time I use a level I check it by putting it on something that won't move, make note of the bubble, then flip it around end for end and check again. If the bubble is the same each direction you are good to go. It takes all of 5 seconds to do.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

I was wondering if this topic was on the level....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

I have had numerous clients over the years that MAKE tape measures and rulers. The graduations were and substantially still are....screen printed.

The logistics of the process of printing a long tape measure had a maddening QA system. And yes there is a "master" measurement ruler or tape for process QC.....and in too many cases.....there are problems with the master! Laughing

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Great tip on testing your level for accuracy. Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Not gonna watch a utube video, but any time I use a level I check it by putting it on something that won't move, make note of the bubble, then flip it around end for end and check again. If the bubble is the same each direction you are good to go. It takes all of 5 seconds to do.

Like that shelf right above where he marked up a perfectly good wall.
Then put that murf verticle on the wall and check the other bubble.
Course the level isn't any better than the person using it.
Now to find that video where beavis and butthead teach you how not to use a table saw.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: