Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My T4 1800cc rebuild cost... kinda
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: My T4 1800cc rebuild cost... kinda Reply with quote

Ok, so a couple of people asked me how much I spent on my T4 1800cc rebuild. This is from memory, in no particular order and I'm not really an accountant type of guy so...

P/C co-fap with domes $160 from FAT ( good deal I know!)

Kadron carb kit $475

Dyno break-in session $275( didn't have the guts to do it myself... serious)

gasket kit $45.00 (good German)

Viton P/R seals $15.00

Viton Flywheel seal $9.00

FAT cam ( webcam) $150

Aluminium cam gear $30.00

scat lifters $95

Jakes Video $29.99

Headflow Masters head rebuild $350

KB bearing x2 (dont ask) $55.00

KB rod bearings$25.00

KB cam bearings $20.00

head gaskets $30.00 (unused)

Distributor drive gear $5.00

Rebuilt rods DPR $45.00

Rebuilding rebuilt rods from DRP ( I seriously dislike that dude... ask for details) $20.00

Balenceing DPR $85.00

Drill and tap oil gallies Rimco $70.00 ( cleaned case for free!)

case to cylinder spacers shims $17.00

914 inspection cover plate $45.00 (luxury item!)

Paint stripper for engine tin $10.00

Stronger paint stripper for tin $10.00

Strongest paint stripper for engine tin $20.00 ( aircraft paint stripper)

wire wheels to strip engine tin $8.00 (harbor frieght)

Acid to strip engine tin $5.00 ( home depot)

Sandblast engine tin $80.00

paint for engine tin $50.00

Lunch for the Skeptic for helping me $20.00

Sealents $25.00

Paper towels-hundreds!! (probably about $30.00! yikes)

Carb cleaner- see above, except triple the amount

Engine tin allen screws $15.00 ( never again will I battle with a rusted SCREW!)

Zip-lock bags for screws $3.00

Storage fee for 2 months $120

Paying three drunk guys to "help" me install it- $75.00. No joking...started at 5:00 pm -finished at 2:00 am. At one point I had to round up 5 'hood honeys' to sit in the back of the bus to counteract the upward pressure I was applying from the jack while I lifted the engine into place. Yankee inginuity at its finest ladies and gentelmen....
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My salad cost $20.00? Or did you overtip the beautiful waitress who you schmoozed shamelessly?
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say!!!??.. I dont get out much! A re-bushed con-rod in my pocket and I was "ready to ride"!
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the crank?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you impling that he is on drugs?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which, does anyone remember when JC Whitney would sell you a "crank" for your 40 horse that looked like a lawn mower starter with the cord?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of witches, does anybody remember when W.C Fields
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of witches, does anybody remember when W.C Fields drank 40 horses worth of booze while riding a lawn mower strumming cords on a guitar?
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has probably even noticed but lately I've been, like, triple posting every where. I know I crave attention but this is getting rediculous...

I think i may have found my first victum to let me rebuild thier engine...

I live up the street from a delapitated body shop. I've been noticeing a Bus parked out in front for a couple of months. Today is had some "new" rims on the front of it so I walked over and had a look. The owner came to me and asked what I was doing ( in broken english... from Mexico). I just told him I like these busses and I asked him some stuff about it. He had recieved it in a trade so it didn't cost and cash . I opened the flap and .... ugly~! No engine seal, oil everywhere.. AND I MEAN EVERYWHERE! I guess I'm used to looking at my engine lately and it's all spic n' span clean. I asked him how it ran and he started it up fo me. clunk, clunk, clunk ect. I wipped out my trusty stethescope ( screw driver) and started to listen. Valve covers we're purring even though he said a mechcanic told him it needed a valve job to fix the noise.... hummm, we're getting somewhere now...
I stuck the screw driver underneath, near the oil pump, and while dodgeing spewing oil ( serious!) I could hear a colony of rabbits in there doing what rabbits are known for doing. My anal-sus was that the oil pump /cam was shot or at least not in the best of moods.

The next question from him was (after appearing like a NASA scientist to him, sticking the screwdriver in my ear... I even egged him on to give it a try ... ) if I was a mechcanic....suddenly everything went into S L O W - M O T I O N and I said...........................nope. but I built my engine 6 months ago and SO CAN YOU! I'll help you do it!

The guy obviously doesnt care about any performance upgrades so I'm trying to talk him into doing a stock rebuild. I priced all the parts from CIP and came out with $842.00 Not bad. That includes head work done at my local shop (the guy does good honest work... nothing performance but he's trust worthy and fair.)

This engine is FI ( never driven one of those) so I'd be very care full to lable everything and repace it exactly as I found it. So we'll see if this guy lets me molest his engine with my wrench. I'll let you guys know what happens.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, BE, i wished i lived in LA, or at least still lived in santa cruz, i'd hit you up for help immediately.

so my next question is, i've got a 2.0 (actually, now i have two 2.0's). is this going to be similar for a 2.0 or do the parts get more expensive as you climb the cc ladder?

and a belated thanks for posting this.

alex
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
i've got a 2.0 (actually, now i have two 2.0's). is this going to be similar for a 2.0 or do the parts get more expensive as you climb the cc ladder?

For stock parts you're looking at $100-200 difference maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong.. I'm not any type of expert... by a long shot! I have the books, the videos and this forum... And I've built one engine.

But during that rebuild I learned a ton of stuff. Not one corner was cut. I delved a bit into the theory of Internal combustion engines and I found a few nice people along the way.

I watched the guy I wrote about earlier have another guy adjust his torsion bars today so that he could put larger rims on the bus (only to find out that he couldn't open his sliding door all the way) and during this operation he forgot to put on three of the lug nuts back on the wheel and of those three he forgot to tighten them! He also cut the brake line and that drained out all the brake fluid. As we wheeled the bus out of the street ( thats when I noticed the wobbly wheel) I pointed out his SLEDGE HAMMER(! NOOOOO!!!!) that was left in the street still under the bus as was one of the torsion plate nuts. This is pretty typical of the quality of the local labor pool. BTW, the guy with the sledge hammer introduced himself as a " mechanic".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: