Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Check this out, cracked housing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

I was looking at the trans I just pulled before I put the used one in. Check out the shift shaft housing. Wonder how that happened???
Any ideas ? This keeps getting weirder and weirder.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this out Reply with quote

Looks like it got dropped before/during installation?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

Didn’t get dropped on my watch haha. I’m wondering if this has anything to do with my reverse locking up. or second gear popping out. Hmmm I wonder
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

Judging from the pubic hair on the end of it, someone really loves working on their van. Just a little too rough though.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

With the trans in neutral, remove the selector bracket from the opposite side and then remove the 3 bolts holding the cover. The shift shaft should slide out.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

looks like it got whacked, the whack marks are seen.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

If it were still installed I would have said to lay under it while somebody shifted gears to see if the crack opened to indicate it was moving and not holding the shaft exactly where it should be.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

A broken end cap could certainly cause shifting problems, as it helps to align one end of the shift rod.

Best to get a new one:
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000292/1000942

In fact, if your plan was to send the box out for a rebuild due to faulty shifting, I might reinstall it after replacing the end cap to see if that solves the problem--maybe a rebuild is unnece$$ary ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

Yeah, from the angle of impact, I'd say a previous mechanic dropped it. Reminds me of the shop that dropped my Syncro transmission and wasn't going to tell me until I noticed it while tying it down in my truck to bring it home. And it also reminds me of the Spokane, WA race shop that rebuilt my Syncro driveshaft and the guy that went in back to get it dropped it. Later when I got back home and reinstalled and it was vibrating instantly, I recalled with odd clarity hearing a large pipe like thing get dropped back there while I was paying.

I took a closer look and it was obviously damaged from being dropped - jammed the joint to one side and left an imprint of the joint ear.

So yes - people in shops apparently drop stuff all the time. Looks like a cheap fix and you may have a problem solved!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
A broken end cap could certainly cause shifting problems, as it helps to align one end of the shift rod.

No. .
A sleeve in the main housing aligns the shaft.
If this sleeve is cracked shifting problems may occur.
As long the broken part is on its place, it will hold the spring inside and do not effect shifting.
Krumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Check this out, cracked housing Reply with quote

Pubic hair Haha the hair on the housing is from my big ass beard !!! I really get close to my work Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: