Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I’m absolutely not trying to give Charmaine grief over not having a ‘uterus’ and I’m not a bad human.

Part of the fun and challenge of putting these early cars together is chasing the right parts. Everyone has varying standards to which they want to hold their own builds, and that’s totally fine!

I don’t see anything wrong with running a uterus manifold if it has been restored. It’s not any worse than any other early poorly designed manifold, if properly repaired. Hey, at least it’s not as expensive as a jacketed ‘K’ manifold for 50-52 splits! Also a very poor design but when repaired with thick heat riser tubing will last for many more years without issue.

Will be a very beautiful car either way! I just like rare manifolds 😁

Progress updates!?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Sled, I know you weren’t and I’m sorry if you thought I was talking about you.

I meant in general, like at a car show someone ripping on her car over the intake. My point was that Charmaine shouldn’t sweat it. If she can find one in the future, great if she wants to use it.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Sled, I know you weren’t and I’m sorry if you thought I was talking about you.

I meant in general, like at a car show someone ripping on her car over the intake. My point was that Charmaine shouldn’t sweat it. If she can find one in the future, great if she wants to use it.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding

Oh don’t you worry, guys. I think my skin has grown pretty thick these past couple years. Totally at the IDGAF stage and this car has always been for me. I like the uterus posts as I DO want one, I’m just not selling my left kidney for it!❤️
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Updates please charmaine!!
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
Updates please charmaine!!

Hmmm what to update Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got to see this beauty as it stopped by my home with a good friend.

Got a quick lesson on adjusting brake stars and talked all about Saskatoon berries and Herbie the Love Bug.

Car just needs some wiring finishes, an alignment, the heater conduits installed, the door cards installed and the rear engine tin installed. Pretty short list!
Also need to get that rivet installed on the wing windows. Kinda don’t care at this point, but gladly take any pointers on getting that on. Installing the wings with it attached looked absolutely awful, so I didn’t do it.

She’s been appraised and insured... and ready for the road.
Officially one of the few projects that got finished.

2016 Golf R - my daily
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Last time I checked in was with the engine rebuild story. seems like you addressed this story up to the finish line.

Car looks outstanding with colour details and finishing material.

Cheers from Quebec.
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

That looks amazing! Congratulations on carrying this massive project through to completion. You're going to have a lot of fun next spring.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Dieses Auto ist phantastisch!

If you're missing the hood catch covering plate, I have a nice one I can send you.

Greets from Ontario.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
Dieses Auto ist phantastisch!

If you're missing the hood catch covering plate, I have a nice one I can send you.

Greets from Ontario.

As a matter of fact I am!! I’ll pm you.
2016 Golf R - my daily
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Awesome!! I’ve been seeing the pics on insta an that, but there’s people that don’t see those platforms, so it’s good to keep the threads an forums alive with updates!!

How good is that 23 also. Epic find
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

superb, you've done a great job there Applause

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Wow! That really does look amazing. You must be delighted how well it's turned out and made all your hard work worthwhile! Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Charmaine:

I made a simple tool to install that rivet, and it worked well on my 54. It takes some muscle turning the wrench and of course being careful, but I know you can do both.

I can send it to you if you want it. I just know shipping costs stink for you...let me know

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Wow! What a payoff!

Congrats.

That isn't the "monk bus" is it? (From Beamsville I think.)

Heinz Nordhoff
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Haha thanks! So I did ok?! Lol.

The bus is the oldest Canadian market bus, arriving on the first shipment to Canada in 52. Cool and no, it’s not mine. I just got to see it. Regrettably, it was too cold to smell it, too... it still had all the original interior.
2016 Golf R - my daily
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
Haha thanks! So I did ok?! Lol.

For your first build, you picked a very difficult year to restore. You knocked this outta the park Charmaine! Next year, drive this car and enjoy it. You deserve it! Happy Holidays to you and your family!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

looks great! keep up the great work and continued luck with what little remains left to finish.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Congrats Chrmaine, wonderful work. The fit and finish is superb and makes the car. Well done with your perseverance and you have a lovely car to enjoy with your family. Smile
nax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

well done!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

As many of you know I am now in the process of restoring my own 1954 ultramaroon beetle:

I was able to help Char with a few parts over the years it took her to build the car but now I need those parts back. Darn. As his father told him in the 1984 version of Tarzan "Never sell, boy", I guess I should have listened more closely.

Anyways, I looked through this whole thread again and I must say it was quite a journey and thank you Char for taking the time to document it. There is a ton of good information here that I am just beginning to appreciate and make use of. The first thing is I need to replace the glass and latch on one of my quarter windows and I notice Char had hers completely apart. Tell me how was this done? I already smashed one large logo glass when it fell out of the frame and smashed into a million pieces on the floor. I don't want any more mistakes like that!

Above we see a donor vent window and the original from the car that needs the donor glass and latch.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 53

Jump to: