Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Quote:
little stuff here and there that I don't even know I need yet.

Yeah, those are killers! They add up to a lot of money because of the shipping costs.

Every time I'd place an order with WW I'd spend a lot of time racking my brain to think of anything else I might need. Then I'd place the order, only to realize a week later that I totally forgot about X. Then a month later I'd slap my forehead and order Y. Rolling Eyes Endless.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Quote:
little stuff here and there that I don't even know I need yet.

Yeah, those are killers! They add up to a lot of money because of the shipping costs.

Every time I'd place an order with WW I'd spend a lot of time racking my brain to think of anything else I might need. Then I'd place the order, only to realize a week later that I totally forgot about X. Then a month later I'd slap my forehead and order Y. Rolling Eyes Endless.

Yup. Never fails. I keep a detailed wish list and that's why I ended up spending $400, lol. PS try shipping to Canada! They pretty much charge 50% of the item value to ship here. Everything works out, after ship and exchange, to be double. DOUBLE. Then add customs/taxes. Crying or Very sad
I don't even wanna know how much I've spent here over the years. And they can't even offer warranty on a cracked $10 bowden tube or $50 brake cable Rolling Eyes

So today my friend and I put some Xpel coating on he headlight lenses. It was challenging as they're pretty curved and it's hard to pull the film taut enough to get it to curve when the lenses aren't in the car. They're just curing downstairs so hoping it sticks ok on the edges. If not, we'll peel off and redo once on the car. Hopefully it keeps the lenses looking great for years. Considering wrapping the hood of the car also to protect from chips... I'd do the whole thing so the film is undetectable. A stone chip would probably piss me off more than anyone criticizing me for putting the film on.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't even wanna know how much I've spent here over the years.

In years past I used to keep obsessively detailed ledgers of every single penny I spent on restorations. With my latest I deliberately didn't keep any records at all. I know I'm into it for way, way, way too much but it would only depress me to know exactly how much. Sad This time around I'm taking the 'ignorance is bliss' approach.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Quote:
I don't even wanna know how much I've spent here over the years.

In years past I used to keep obsessively detailed ledgers of every single penny I spent on restorations. With my latest I deliberately didn't keep any records at all. I know I'm into it for way, way, way too much but it would only depress me to know exactly how much. Sad This time around I'm taking the 'ignorance is bliss' approach.

I know exactly how much this car is costing. To the dollar. And I'm nowhere near done.
Where is the nearest cliff?
2016 Golf R - my daily
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
Considering wrapping the hood of the car also to protect from chips... I'd do the whole thing so the film is undetectable. A stone chip would probably piss me off more than anyone criticizing me for putting the film on.

Do it! I wish I'd had mine done, 6 years later my bugs hood is covered in stone chips because I drive it daily. Its annoying cause the rest of the paint still looks great. I'm not sure how it would look on all the curves of the bug but I think it's worth a try.

Agreed with you on shipping here in Australia it's the same.. I just did a few really large shipments. Buying from the states is still cheaper than the shops are charging here if you do a big order. For the surprises - tiny small parts, if I couldn't justify an order for them I'd just pay a bit more and get local. I also kept a spreadsheet of costs - I try not to look at the end figure Very Happy at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, I use and enjoy my car every day and it's still less than the cost of a new car to insure/service.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Got a text from the engine guy today.
Things are coming along "really well", the long block is darn near complete. This gives me hope.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just returned from the US and got some of my WW order I had sent to my moms. I'd have liked to reassemble my wiper motor and arms today but the little c-clips I got from WW are bare metal and need to be plated first. I'll be patient and do it right Wink The rest is all refinished and ready.

Then, I pestered the body guy and reminded him that my engine is coming in March so I hope to have the body back by then. He's got a lot of work to do yet so I hope he gets on it. He said he also hopes to have it to me at the same time as the engine so...

Up this week I hope to figure out the chroming situation, and get that returned to me. I also plan on revisiting the window etching so I can get the glass in the car as soon as I have the body back. I'm wondering if I should buy the headliner separate and get that in the car before I buy the interior, as the dollar is really not getting any better but I'll need the headliner to put the glass in.
2016 Golf R - my daily
belairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

You are doing an awesome job, continued success on your project.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I love your attention to detail and effort in correctness!

but I have to wonder (and this is probably no fault of your own) but why is it so hard to find competent people to work on your car? The engine should have taken no more than a couple weeks at most for a professional engine builder. I recently had my '51 25hp rebuilt in a week. I supplied him with the long block and necessary parts to rebuild it and it was completed. Same goes for paint shops..a show quality paint job takes a few months at most. Some guys say they let the primer gas off for a month or something, but even at this rate...

not ranting AT you, but WITH you. If I was you, I'd be beyond frustrated (which I'm sure you already are)

I hope things continue to progress, nothing like waiting on other people.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

You don't need to plate the c-clips for your wiper shafts, they are spring steel and don't rust. They were also not plated form factory.

Just an FYI from working on a few concours cars for VERY particular clients over the years. Doing things like plating them would be considered "over restoring" a car and actually counts against a car when being judged on correctness. Correct colours, platings and finishes are all as important to a correct restoration as the quality of the work. Having something like a shiny silver ceramic coated exhaust, or gloss black powdercoated front suspension, or even coated c-clips may look nice and be more durable, but if that's not how it came from the factory and it sticks out like a sore thumb to purists. If doing a correct 10 point resto, you have to have the correct part with the correct finish, in the correct colour, exactly like the factory did it. Doing things like replicating factory paint overspray on parts, chalk marks and grease smeers are how cars are restored to factory correctness. I've spent hours replacing a water pump on a (pre-Ford) Lincoln cabriolet, not physical changing it, but trying to match the paint and patina on the paint so that it matched the old one so it looked correct on the "survivor" engine.

And sled, I know the people working on her car, I've know one for 30 years and the other for about 15. They are very competent at what they do. There are many underlying reasons why the work is taking so long.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
You don't need to plate the c-clips for your wiper shafts, they are spring steel and don't rust. They were also not plated form factory.

Just an FYI from working on a few concours cars for VERY particular clients over the years. Doing things like plating them would be considered "over restoring" a car and actually counts against a car when being judged on correctness. Correct colours, platings and finishes are all as important to a correct restoration as the quality of the work. Having something like a shiny silver ceramic coated exhaust, or gloss black powdercoated front suspension, or even coated c-clips may look nice and be more durable, but if that's not how it came from the factory and it sticks out like a sore thumb to purists. If doing a correct 10 point resto, you have to have the correct part with the correct finish, in the correct colour, exactly like the factory did it. Doing things like replicating factory paint overspray on parts, chalk marks and grease smeers are how cars are restored to factory correctness. I've spent hours replacing a water pump on a (pre-Ford) Lincoln cabriolet, not physical changing it, but trying to match the paint and patina on the paint so that it matched the old one so it looked correct on the "survivor" engine.

And sled, I know the people working on her car, I've know one for 30 years and the other for about 15. They are very competent at what they do. There are many underlying reasons why the work is taking so long.

Thanks Brad.
However, I have been getting my parts plated in black zinc so it all looks correct while being durable.
What do you mean about the powder coated suspension? I'm pretty sure it was painted black from factory, and powder coating is allowed? I will also have a ceramic coated exhaust, that will be the same finish as factory.

This is why I was going to plate them black, my originals are rusty?

I've never questioned the competency of the people working on my car... if they're good enough for Trevor, they are good enough for me. I do wish that I could have stuff a bit faster, but I'd rather slow and good than fast and shit. I have to remind myself... I'm not in a hurry, enjoy the process, and having the cost of it spread out does help me budget and afford the restoration. I'm just glad that things are finally being completed.
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

alright, questioning competency was a bit harsh, but I still do not understand the time frames here.

underlying issues can have a dramatic impact, yes. Was not intending to ruffle any feathers, just echoing some of the frustration.

keep up the good work! do you plan to ever has this car at the great canadian? I'd love to see it some day.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

sled wrote:
alright, questioning competency was a bit harsh, but I still do Laughing not understand the time frames here.

underlying issues can have a dramatic impact, yes. Was not intending to ruffle any feathers, just echoing some of the frustration.

keep up the good work! do you plan to ever has this car at the great canadian? I'd love to see it some day.

No worries. I've certainly said my fair share of expletives in regards to the time frame.

I just discovered my bug would fit in the back of my step-dad's enclosed trailer Laughing watch everyone grill me about the trailer queen, lol. I just don't think I'm down for a 36hp, 1700km jaunt across the left half of Canada Wink I am doing the car to drive her for ice cream, and yell at anyone who gets too close. I'll for sure do the one indoor local car show but I don't really have plans to drag her around for car shows.
2016 Golf R - my daily
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I know you are going for a correct restoration. Coating parts that weren't coated to start with is not the proper way to do things. If the fasteners are black oxide coated, re-do it, if they were bare metal, leave them. That is the correct way to do it. What ever you choose for the coating on parts, it should match the colour AND the finish. If it was a semi matte finish it must be semi matte, if it was a flat finish it must be flat. Having the same colour alone is not correct.

Another thing I had to do on an early Chevy I worked on. I had to change most of the front end steering parts. They were ALL OEM parts worth several times what could have been bought as new aftermarket parts. After I had spent hours carefully changing all parts and making sure that it was spotless I had to change the grease in our grease gun because it wasn't the same colour as the factory applied grease and I had to leave a certain amount of grease around the zerk as would have been left by the guy greasing them on the rack on the assembly line as they would not have wiped them clean as I have always done

I know of people losing at concourse shows by one point after 1/4 panel trim pieces were removed and appropriate chalk marks were not present.

Originally the cars were driven daily in all sorts of weather and conditions, yours will be driven on nice summer days on much better roads than there were in 1954 and kept in a nice cozy garage. You don't need to do a bunch of fancy coatings that aren't factory correct in the name of longevity. It's actually counting against you on a 10 point restoration.

Not picking apart your build, just want you to know that there is such a thing as over restoring a car and actually having your work start to be against you

brad
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I definitely appreciate the information being shared here about the level of restoration. That kind of stuff would drive me crazy.

I prefer to over build...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I know you are going for a correct restoration. Coating parts that weren't coated to start with is not the proper way to do things. If the fasteners are black oxide coated, re-do it, if they were bare metal, leave them. That is the correct way to do it. What ever you choose for the coating on parts, it should match the colour AND the finish. If it was a semi matte finish it must be semi matte, if it was a flat finish it must be flat. Having the same colour alone is not correct.

Another thing I had to do on an early Chevy I worked on. I had to change most of the front end steering parts. They were ALL OEM parts worth several times what could have been bought as new aftermarket parts. After I had spent hours carefully changing all parts and making sure that it was spotless I had to change the grease in our grease gun because it wasn't the same colour as the factory applied grease and I had to leave a certain amount of grease around the zerk as would have been left by the guy greasing them on the rack on the assembly line as they would not have wiped them clean as I have always done

I know of people losing at concourse shows by one point after 1/4 panel trim pieces were removed and appropriate chalk marks were not present.

Originally the cars were driven daily in all sorts of weather and conditions, yours will be driven on nice summer days on much better roads than there were in 1954 and kept in a nice cozy garage. You don't need to do a bunch of fancy coatings that aren't factory correct in the name of longevity. It's actually counting against you on a 10 point restoration.

Not picking apart your build, just want you to know that there is such a thing as over restoring a car and actually having your work start to be against you

brad

Do these folks know that when they croak I'm going to buy their museum queen and slam it and Subaru it?
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Got my chrome back yesterday.
It's not as perfect as I'd have liked but if it was a 3 before it's about a 9 now. So I sit down to excitedly put stuff together (dying to get these headlights together) and I realize I have no rivets for the rings. Gah! Always. Something. The chrome shop forgot to send me some. Confused

My engine is coming along according to plan and I couldn't be happier that this is being completed. Travelling with my dad at the end of the month to go pick it up.

And the freshly ceramic coated muffler, and shoes/j-tubes.

So I guess tonight I'll spend some time sanding the parts that were chromed and no longer fit together and maybe assemble the door handles and window latches.
2016 Golf R - my daily
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Well, at least it's some progress...

I hope the pace starts to pick up for you in the spring. I'm dying to see this finished, as I'm sure you are too. In spades.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Yep, some progress is better than none.

So of course I was dying to get some stuff done.
After handling small parts and emery cloth for hours... I no longer have finger prints and my fingers are raw. Not bleeding at least! Laughing Too bad my iPhone no longer recognizes my fingerprints.

I learned that not all SG lock cylinders will fit in any door handle... the hard way. The lock cylinder I had that matches the ignition, that I intended to use does not fit in the door handle. Once I got it all together, I realized the cylinder could be pulled out with the key. Damnit! And the cylinder that came with was in awful shape. So, I polished it for 2 hours and managed to get it to a useable condition and reassembled the handle. Damn those springs are not fun to install.

I'm not super happy with that angle on the base of the locking handle, but after looking at a friend's collection of them, his were no better so I'm thinking that's just the way it's gonna be. The passenger handle turned out perfectly.

Then... these f$&@ing latches. There was so much extra metal on these that they did not fit together. So file file file, sand sand sand, fit fit fit, I managed to get one together. Then I manage to get the other to 'fit' together but the damn button won't fit in because the button won't slide into the grooves inside the handle. $&?%!!!! So I gave up for the day, as filing the metal inside that little hole in the handle is going to take forever and I just can't look at it any more.

I'm also realizing, and now dreading testing the screw holes in the door handles are probably mangled and will need to be retapped and likely fitted with a different size screw and there are barely any threads left.

And so the joys of reassembly...
2016 Golf R - my daily
mark_85226
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I also had to perform the same filing on my oval door handles when I had them re-chromed. You may want to check how they fit into the door openings if you haven't already done so, I had to do a lot of filing on the outside edges to get them to slide in without scratching the paint. Good luck!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Got mailed on Monday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 53

Jump to: