Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Mr. Awesome Guy wrote:
Got mailed on Monday.

You're the BEST!!
Thank you!!
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Coating parts that weren't coated to start with is not the proper way to do things

It's been brought up before. I hate powdercoat and I guess I don't understand why be so picky about correctness on some things, and then go powdercoat others... All good though, overall the car will be nice I'm sure
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
Coating parts that weren't coated to start with is not the proper way to do things

It's been brought up before. I hate powdercoat and I guess I don't understand why be so picky about correctness on some things, and then go powdercoat others... All good though, overall the car will be nice I'm sure

I have yet to see a 100% correctly restored VW, seemingly even the best are overrestored in some manner. And I do agree the powder coating is an unoriginal finish, but nearly none will recognize it as powder coating unless the builder would admit it as Charmaine has.

My point is, that I really appreciate Charmaine being so transparent with her restoration. She has openly shared the challenges that most cover up in their process or build thread. There is a learning curve and a development of preference and connections within the community that occurs during a restoration; especially your first ever.

She's doing a very good job and has been open to feedback. Perhaps I am misinterpreting, and not hating, but I felt like your comment Eric G. was kinda random and negative for where the build is at right now.

Keep at it Charmaine!
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Thanks Ultramoron Laughing still my fave name as I wish I'd come up with it myself.

I agree on the powder coat. The point is to restore it so that it
looks original. I therefore don't see the difference between black zinc plating something that was bare metal so it doesn't rust. It looks correct. Powder coating so it's more durable and looks like paint. It looks correct. Shooting a layer of clear coat over your decals so they don't fall off. It looks correct and serves a purpose.

As I've learned (and have done myself), people will always have an opinion whether it's reasonable or not. At the end of the day, I'm building the car for me. So unless the person criticizing has or has had a car of similar vintage, restored with the same goals of correctness, their opinion really doesn't phase me. Funny how the ones who often comment on correctness, often do not have or have ever had a car that is a perfect example of it. Although I do appreciate tips and pointers as the learning I've done has been invaluable....I just pick and choose what information I take to heart.

Now if it gets judged... I'll probably care what the judge thinks! Hah. But unlikely I'll ever get the opportunity.
2016 Golf R - my daily
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Charmaine:

I think your car is great and your doing a wonderful job. I hope none of my comments have ever come off as negative. I respect the heck out of you for your commitment to the details/criteria you have established.

I try to offer help where I can. I build my cars for a different purpose, to look good and function well in modern traffic, which is why I have 4 wheel disc brakes, optimized suspension, and a heavily modified 36hp engine.

Where the "restoration" techniques are similar, I'll offer input.

Keep it up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
Thanks Ultramoron Laughing still my fave name as I wish I'd come up with it myself.

looks original. I therefore don't see the difference between black zinc plating something that was bare metal so it doesn't rust. It looks correct. Powder coating so it's more durable and looks like paint. It looks correct. Shooting a layer of clear coat over your decals so they don't fall off. It looks correct and serves a purpose.

As I've learned (and have done myself), people will always have an opinion whether it's reasonable or not. At the end of the day, I'm building the car for me. So unless the person criticizing has or has had a car of similar vintage, restored with the same goals of correctness, their opinion really doesn't phase me. Funny how the ones who often comment on correctness, often do not have or have ever had a car that is a perfect example of it. Although I do appreciate tips and pointers as the learning I've done has been invaluable....I just pick and choose what information I take to heart.

Now if it gets judged... I'll probably care what the judge thinks! Hah. But unlikely I'll ever get the opportunity.

I think we all get caught up with worrying to some extent about what others will see or critique when they view any work we do on our VW's. At the end of the day, there's not a restored VW in the world that can't get nit picked to some extent.

The other thing that keeps me grounded is that 99.9% of people on the street couldn't recognize or know the micro detail (powder coat vs. paint) as an example. Most folks couldn't tell the difference between a 1600 and a 1200 engine. Everyone has to make decisions that are best for their budget or their car. Compromises have to be made at many stages of any restoration. I see the insane attention to details with the split buses in that forum and am amazed at the knowledge some of those members possess.

I think you're doing an amazing job with your restoration. Just the investment you've made in replating both the chrome and zinc covered parts demonstrates your high standards that you're shooting for.

There's a quote I read somewhere that I love and try to live by. It goes "When I stopped worrying about what others thought of me, I truly found happiness". So true.

Keep up the great work.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

TXOval, my skin is thicker than that, lol. Laughing

Wcfvw, I eagerly await someone to tell me that the aircleaner or heart taillights etc on my care are rare... because most don't know. I think the zinc and chrome platers are ready to strangle me!

Smile
No worries, it's all good!
Glad to know some of you appreciate my effort.
2016 Golf R - my daily
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
TheLadyBug wrote:

I think we all get caught up with worrying to some extent about what others will see or critique when they view any work we do on our VW's. At the end of the day, there's not a restored VW in the world that can't get nit picked to some extent.

The other thing that keeps me grounded is that 99.9% of people on the street couldn't recognize or know the micro detail (powder coat vs. paint) as an example. Most folks couldn't tell the difference between a 1600 and a 1200 engine. Everyone has to make decisions that are best for their budget or their car. Compromises have to be made at many stages of any restoration. I see the insane attention to details with the split buses in that forum and am amazed at the knowledge some of those members possess.

I think you're doing an amazing job with your restoration. Just the investment you've made in replating both the chrome and zinc covered parts demonstrates your high standards that you're shooting for.

There's a quote I read somewhere that I love and try to live by. It goes "When I stopped worrying about what others thought of me, I truly found happiness". So true.

Keep up the great work.

Charmaine keep charging ahead! You are doing an amazing job!

I agree that "restored" cars can get nit-picked to death. I've been in the car hobby all my life and have seen people argue about incorrect details on known original cars that haven't been restored.

Also, I worked as a dealer mechanic for almost 13 years I got to see new cars first hand and believe me, little details change from shift to shift and plant to plant. Cars are built by people and people aren't perfect.

I know this has nothing to do with powder coating vs. paint, but my point is that a restored car will never be "perfect" in everybody's eyes. Your opinion is the only one that matters in the end anyway.

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

"Funny how the ones who often comment on correctness, often do not have or have ever had a car that is a perfect example of it". So true...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I guess I hurt some feelings, which was not my intention. Sorry. It was a comment to slalombuggy that the powdercoat discussion has already taken place, nothing more. And again, I'm sure the car will be nice when done

as for the have and don't have, not me, I don't really worry about that stuff. I've been in Magazines, had cars I helped restore in magazines, and owned cars nicer than most magazine cars. None of that matters. Of all the things I've learned in nearly 25 years of VW's, one of the biggest things is that who has what doesnt mean shit. I personally know the owners of a lot of super nice magazine cover cars, members of the biggest most famous VW clubs, even the ones that post here, and most really don't know all that much. On the other hand, I know a guy that has most of his teeth missing, drives a beat up 70's truck, and probably has a meth problem - that knows more about VW's and what's correct or not than just about anybody I've ever met. You may be surprised next time someone walks up to you and tells you about their old VW...
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

No one is going to pick over the car 'cause everyone will pass right by it to go look at the 'barn find' a few cars over... Razz

Very nice work so far.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Is it just me or have all the pictures disappeared? All I get is reduced size icons?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Is it just me or have all the pictures disappeared? All I get is reduced size icons?

That is the problem with using Photobucket. Try left clicking on each of those "reduced sized icons" to see image. Soon those will be all lost though.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Should be posting build thread pics on thesamba for posterity
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

That is the problem with using Photobucket. Try left clicking on each of those "reduced sized icons" to see image. Soon those will be all lost though.

:2gunfire: Embarassed

Ahhhh crap!!!
Ok fine.... I'll start uploading them to the samba. Photobucket was easier for me since it kept them all handy for me to access easily. Shit.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
2016 Golf R - my daily
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Ouch. That's a bummer since this is such a wonderfully documented restoration. Crying or Very sad
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
No one is going to pick over the car 'cause everyone will pass right by it to go look at the 'barn find' a few cars over... Razz

Wasn't that long ago when people were pissed when I parked my unrestored, primer gray and black POS '54 next to their freshly-overrestored oval or split or watched RK Smith struggle to get a picture of that overrestored oval without getting my car in the shot.

The only people who would stop to look at my car at length were young kids and those who had similar cars and were checking out the details. I was totally honest with them with what was and wasn't original.

I haven't taken it to any shows since reality TV created the current barnfind craze, so I don't know what reaction my '54 would get if I showed it today.
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Just curious how your body and paint are moving along. Any estimates on getting it back from the shop?....that's when the real fun starts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

A few things have happened since I posted last.

I had made an agreement with the engine guy in December that I would be picking up my engine on March 27th whether it was completed or not. He's had it since October 2014. I picked it up with my dad on March 27th, 2017, uncompleted. I've debated heavily on what to say regarding this transaction as I don't want to speak ill of anyone, so I'll just post the facts. It's been a few weeks and I still feel sick about it so here goes.

I lost a lot of sleep prior to picking it up, as a conversation went south when the engine guy told me that my engine was not going to be ready on the date. I insisted that I was still coming to pick it up finished or not as that was the deal; he wanted more time and actually told me that if I wanted my engine back, I'd have to prepay and he'd leave it in the back alley... and any further contact would have to be through his wife. I, thankfully, was able to turn the conversation around and he agreed to let me pick it up on March 27, since my dad and I both took the day off work to drive 11 hours to get it.

After speaking with others around my neck of the woods, I am not the only person who has been told their stuff could be picked up from the back alley. This is inexcusable. Anyway; it's done. I have most of my stuff back. You can draw your own conclusions. I provided powder coated tin, rebuilt generator and tested regulator, a cleaned out and pressure tested manifold, etc. My coil was returned with a chip and scratches. I should also add that my parts carb got rebuilt instead of my correct carb, so I need to get my actual carb rebuilt. Thank goodness for friends and family as I think I have a plan to get it finished.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I paid an extra $225 the day I picked it up for a total of $7384.

Ok. New subject.
I got my semaphores back and they look fantastic.

I finallly have all the pieces to put my headlights together only to realize I don't have enough clips to secure the ring to the bucket... but I had enough to do one. So I'm on the hunt for a few clips, I'll get those plated (does it ever end?) and then they will be done. I also need some tiny cotter pins as I didn't have any small enough on hand.

I got my wiper motor and assembly refinished and reassembled. It doesn't photograph well though, lol. I will bench it as soon as my battery is done charging today.

I've been bugging the body guy on a regular basis and he has been working on it. Hopefully I'll have photo updates this week.

Next up... finish the rear brakes, get them bled and operational, and get transmission fluid in the transmission. Then, I'll get the steering box on and ready and put the pitman arm, and tie rods on. It has been warm on the days I work and then cold on my days off so I just need to suck it up and spend some time outside and get it done.
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about the engine, that's total BS. Matthew (Aircooled Research) or Joe (Mr. Okrasa) could have built your engine 10 times quicker and for less.

I honestly do not understand people like that.

Headlights and semaphores look good though!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 53

Jump to: