Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
blah blah

Seriously dude. Let him talk for himself. Don't do that here

I think it's obvious we know who Rick's friend is.

Good news; I contacted the courts of Alberta and a civil claims suit is quite straightforward. My filing package is en route.
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Even IF there was a communication error on the heater boxes/pipes...$420 to braze them up and paint them? That's ridiculous

I won't even comment on the other stuff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
blah blah

Seriously disappointed in slalombuggy's defense of this "mechanic".

I wouldn't let that "mechanic" change the lead in my mechanical pencil.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

TheLadyBug wrote:
Erik G wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
blah blah

I think it's obvious we know who Rick's friend is. Singular.

Good news; I contacted the courts of Alberta and a civil claims suit is quite straightforward. My filing package is en route.

Super proud of you for going after that guy who clearly is a hack and ripped you off big time!

Ignore Rick's "friend".. He's only showing his poor character as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
palmgreen57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Hi,
I''m very sad to see what happenned to you !
That kind of people shouldn't exist !!!
I'll follow the end of restoration of your Oval and hope you'll fix your problems Smile
Yan
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Even IF there was a communication error on the heater boxes/pipes...$420 to braze them up and paint them? That's ridiculous

That's about 4 hours at a fairly cheap shop rate plus parts, welding and paint supplies to cut out and replace the j tubes and weld up, clean and paint rusted out heater boxes.

As for the rest of the bill on the engine. People should go out and get quotes from the 36hp engine builders on this site (then add 35% for the dollar exchange rate) I bet it won't come close in cost.

36hp engines are very expensive to rebuild they have been for years. I built my 1904 stroker engine with new heads for the same cost as the stone stock landspeed race engine for my friends truck and you don't want to know how much his stroked 36hp engine was, it was almost the same as my full race 2332.

Machine shop services aren't cheap, we don't have Rimco down the street, we actually pay $80 a rod to get them resized, bushed, and balanced, and it's cheaper to buy a new crank that to get one resized, the last one I did cost me $350 and the only reason I did it was it was my first HP purchase, a DMS crank back in 1987. $500 to clean, inspect, install new guides and cut valves and seats, that's nothing, the last watercooled head I had the same thing done to was $1300 for the same work, $240 for NOS bearings, price them out in the classifieds or WW and don't forget to add 35%

Yes it's bad the engine wasn't finished and that it took so long but given what Rick has gone through in the last 2 years, you might want to cut him just a little bit of slack, because I doubt many of you would have the fortitude to deal with what he has, let alone work on other peoples projects.

Am I a friend, proudly yes. I've know Rick for 30 years, am I his singular friend, not by a mile.

brad
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

First, I think Brad adds a lot to this forum and has helped me in the past, however...

I can almost understand a communication error on the heater boxes, and since I do not understand CDN pricing, let's say $420CDN is fair, how do you explain charging for ceramic coating and actually applying spray paint?

Yes, 36HP engines cost more to build, but over $7500 is insane, even with the 35% difference.

Joe Ruiz sells his stroker longblock 36HP engines for $3995 x 1.35 = $5400 CDN

Show me a better engine than what Joe builds...

If Rick was/is having issues he either shouldn't accept work or be completely honest with the timeframe up front. You don't throw customers parts in the alley...
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Rule #1- The CUSTOMER is always right, doesn't matter how difficult their
demands are.

If you can't meet those demands by providing the service, don't accept the work. Their cash is what makes your world go around, don't ever forget that! Because an unhappy customer will make your life a living hell. They worked hard for the money they are about to pay you...and as a business owner, you better work just as hard for it.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Quote:
given what Rick has gone through in the last 2 years, you might want to cut him just a little bit of slack, because I doubt many of you would have the fortitude to deal with what he has, let alone work on other peoples projects.

It's really very simple. If he had so much going on in life he should have turned down the job. When I was running my own business before I retired I routinely turned away work when I had too much on my plate. I got stressed out if my turnaround reached 3 months. There's no way I'd keep a customer holding for over a year. Not to mention I took great pride in my work and would never cut corners on anything.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Quote:
given what Rick has gone through in the last 2 years, you might want to cut him just a little bit of slack, because I doubt many of you would have the fortitude to deal with what he has, let alone work on other peoples projects.

It's really very simple. If he had so much going on in life he should have turned down the job. When I was running my own business before I retired I routinely turned away work when I had too much on my plate. I got stressed out if my turnaround reached 3 months. There's no way I'd keep a customer holding for over a year. Not to mention I took great pride in my work and would never cut corners on anything.

Yep. It always amazes me how many people will defend someone providing crappy customer service because they were going through a rough time in life. I have seen it time and time again. The bottom line is that if your life is turned upside down for some reason then don't take on work and if you do don't lie to your customers about the status of their work. I don't know what this chap has gone through but there is no excuse for the quality of the work that I see here and the delays and deceit perpetrated here.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
René R. wrote:
Quote:

Yep. It always amazes me how many people will defend someone providing crappy customer service because they were going through a rough time in life. I have seen it time and time again. The bottom line is that if your life is turned upside down for some reason then don't take on work and if you do don't lie to your customers about the status of their work. I don't know what this chap has gone through but there is no excuse for the quality of the work that I see here and the delays and deceit perpetrated here.

Thank goodness so many people agree that horrific customer service and shoddy work is unacceptable. The feedback threads are filled w/VW businesses and individuals that fit this bill. Over the last 15 years, many have closed their doors from their reputations. That's a good thing.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

You guys are all awesome (that GET it).

There's just no excuse. Period.

Now to pick up the pieces and keep on. Those that have private messaged me in support, posted here, and those offering help... you're what owning an ACVW is about. <3

Another note about the heater boxes... I sent them disassembled, stripped, straightened, primered. All they needed was a couple pin holes filled, a weld nut welded in, j-tubes and a final refinish.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Spent quite a bit of time today draining the transmission oil, disassembling the brakes and uninstalling the transmission.

Upon closer inspection... one of the axle tubes has NO powder coat on it at all, which likely means it's not even mine. The part numbers don't match. That explains a lot. Rolling Eyes

My dad returned from Europe a few days ago and didn't realize all this had unfolded while he was away. Needless to say, dad's pretty angry.
He brought me back this awesome sign and piggy bank from the Alps. The piggy bank, unfortunately is like salt in an open wound right now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf R - my daily
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
txoval wrote:

That's about 4 hours at a fairly cheap shop rate plus parts, welding and paint supplies to cut out and replace the j tubes and weld up, clean and paint rusted out heater boxes.

As for the rest of the bill on the engine. People should go out and get quotes from the 36hp engine builders on this site (then add 35% for the dollar exchange rate) I bet it won't come close in cost.

36hp engines are very expensive to rebuild they have been for years. I built my 1904 stroker engine with new heads for the same cost as the stone stock landspeed race engine for my friends truck and you don't want to know how much his stroked 36hp engine was, it was almost the same as my full race 2332.

Machine shop services aren't cheap, we don't have Rimco down the street, we actually pay $80 a rod to get them resized, bushed, and balanced, and it's cheaper to buy a new crank that to get one resized, the last one I did cost me $350 and the only reason I did it was it was my first HP purchase, a DMS crank back in 1987. $500 to clean, inspect, install new guides and cut valves and seats, that's nothing, the last watercooled head I had the same thing done to was $1300 for the same work, $240 for NOS bearings, price them out in the classifieds or WW and don't forget to add 35%

Yes it's bad the engine wasn't finished and that it took so long but given what Rick has gone through in the last 2 years, you might want to cut him just a little bit of slack, because I doubt many of you would have the fortitude to deal with what he has, let alone work on other peoples projects.

Am I a friend, proudly yes. I've know Rick for 30 years, am I his singular friend, not by a mile.

brad

I too have know Rick for years, and had a similar issue with him building my motor. Yes, he has had personal challenges. And I know for sure I had cut him slack on promised delivery times. Shop rates and the US dollar aren't the issue here. Set and agreed to prices on work to be done and an expected timeframe are!

I am very sympathetic to his problems, but taking on this work brings an expectation that the person doing the work has the intention to finish it in a reasonable timeframe, and finish it to a level that matches your experience and reputation. With that reputation, there's an expectation you will stand behind your work, and prices... that's why people come to you.

When he build my motor, it went way over the time promised and I too had a threat that I could just come pick up the block and parts as he would just leave it out in the lane and I could come get it. When you're held hostage, there isn't much you can do other than try to work things out. Promised times for completion kept passing and I had to do what I had to do to get it done. It was stressful and only by saying I was driving 1100km (each way) to come get it on a certain date... did it get done. Unfortunately it wasn't when I arrived and had to spend a few days there getting it running. We had a disagreement over what the final price was as any work along the way I agreed to overages. All sorts of extra charges were added and again, if I wanted it finished... with any sort of warranty for the work done, I paid.

Last edited by bwaz on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Bluemanx212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I have known Rick for a long time (30+years) he is one of the most knowledgeable vintage VW people in Canada! He has been through some very big challenges in the last while and yes it has been longer than expected to finish and the parts to be used are not the easiest to find 1954 only! There is always 2 sides to every story and just reading this extremely long but interesting build, it is going to be a long time to see this on the road if it even sees a road trip! I hope it turns out awesome. My build took 2 weeks and have been enjoying every drive I can get!

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Bluemanx212 wrote:
I have known Rick for a long time (30+years) he is one of the most knowledgeable vintage VW people in Canada! He has been through some very big challenges in the last while and yes it has been longer than expected to finish and the parts to be used are not the easiest to find 1954 only! There is always 2 sides to every story and just reading this extremely long but interesting build, it is going to be a long time to see this on the road if it even sees a road trip! I hope it turns out awesome. My build took 2 weeks and have been enjoying every drive I can get!

Are you comparing a rust bucket patina car to a bolt and nut restoration? If so what's your point?

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

I would suggest asking Everett to separate some of this into the feedback thread

No reason to detract from Beas restoration
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Yes, if you want to post feedback, please use the feedback thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678853
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Bluemanx212 wrote:

I know parts are hard to find; I supplied most of them. You'd know that if you read the thread.

What I have tried to provide here is facts. Timelines, prices, quality of work are things that there are simply NOT two sides to.
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Have been super busy with house renovations but am still plugging away at the car.

Got the heater boxes taken back apart, stripped and sent out to be repaired... if they can be repaired. The metal guy said they weren't in that bad of shape but have been so poorly repaired that they may be toast. Thanks to those that have contributed to getting these repaired. The one half wasn't ceramic coated as it was full of bondo. Crying or Very sad

Got the intake back from being stripped... refinishing it until I find another as I don't trust this one. It's absolutely full of brass.

Another friend has located me some replacement axle tubes and would you look at that... the seamless boots slid right over the end without having to take them apart.

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to the amazing people in the community who are helping me out, and getting me closer to having this car complete. You guys are keeping me on track.
2016 Golf R - my daily
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 53

Jump to: