Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1954 build thread "Beatrix"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't even change out of my work clothes

Umm... are you a ballerina? I'm trying to imagine what job would require that sort of skirt. Very Happy
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Quote:

Umm... are you a ballerina? I'm trying to imagine what job would require that sort of skirt. Very Happy

You never, ever, go there.

I'm going to report this as the first observed assembly of stale air boxes by a mechanic in a tutu.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
René R. wrote:
Quote:

You never, ever, go there.

I'm going to report this as the first observed assembly of stale air boxes by a mechanic in a tutu.

You guys are hilarious. Maybe I am a ballerina?! Lol. I dress in business casual for work, and I happen to really like fashion so I tend to dress a little on the trendy side Wink Yes, it's a tutu but I swear it's for daily wear! But yeah, that's why I took the picture, after I realized how ridiculous I looked working on the car in a tutu. My husband laughed at me.

Don't feel bad about the shipping costs, Phil. It is what it is. Having to pay for ceramic coating AGAIN when they should have never been coated in the condition they were in is what hurt the most.

txoval wrote:

I'll never forget sending her this picture, letting her know that this was all that was left of her boxes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Haha getting that picture was a bit frightening. I certainly made a face!
2016 Golf highline - hubby’s daily
2016 Golf R - my daily
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

this car is going to be 'right' and that's whats important. All that sweat/blood/tears will be worth it in the end. Look forward to more updates!

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

now who wants to fix some rusty parts on my '51? Wink
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Hey it was nice to see you and chat at the Great Canadian in my swap meet spot. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope things turn out better for you.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

getgeoff wrote:
Hey it was nice to see you and chat at the Great Canadian in my swap meet spot. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope things turn out better for you.

Yesss! You too!
Sorry I met so many people, were you the one in the corner with the cream split bus?

I had an amazing weekend.
1580k one way door to door but worth it. Seeing everyone again made this show absolutely incredible.
Funny, lots knew about my engine woes. This is why we have to talk about this stuff! If not to keep people honest... but to keep people from being taken advantage of.

Picked up a matching set of these, pretty sure are NOS from a super guy.

This photo sums up my weekend awesomeness.

Managed to pick up new axle tubes and a new intake manifold so things are turning around. The generosity and willingness to help from other members is what's making this enjoyable again.

Now just to install my new tubes.
Can someone tell me where the large ring seal sits on the axle bearing?
The parts manual isn't very explanatory, just shows the order.
2016 Golf R - my daily

Last edited by TheLadyBug on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

With the bearing in place (seated), the large O-ring simply goes around the perimeter of the bearing and slid back.

Do you have the proper EARLY bearing caps? Post a pic and I'll verify
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Hey Charmaine I have met you before cause I own a early 55 ultramaroon also. I was talking to you while I was seated under my tent in the swap area with a white subaru in the back of us. Nice score on those tail lights. Ya your engine builder sounds like a idiot and I hope you do what's nessary to get your money back. I hope to have my 55 at the show next year.
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Also check on YouTube the video on rear axle seal replacement made by Just Kampers. It's really good.
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

getgeoff wrote:
Hey Charmaine I have met you before cause I own a early 55 ultramaroon also. I was talking to you while I was seated under my tent in the swap area with a white subaru in the back of us. Nice score on those tail lights. Ya your engine builder sounds like a idiot and I hope you do what's nessary to get your money back. I hope to have my 55 at the show next year.

Oh I hope you do! I'd absolutely love to see your car. Smile
2016 Golf R - my daily
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

With some expert advice and phone support, I got a lot done in these last couple weeks.

Loading up my running engine to take home. I'm a wee bit happy to finally have this in my hands.

Got my new axle tubes installed, and after following the explicit advice from friends, got it reassembled and back in the car. Got everything bolted back up and filled it back up with oil and.... IT DOESNT LEAK! My dad rigged up the gas tank so we can bench the engine in the car. Just gotta order some tires and get the car on the ground before we install the engine. That gas tank cracks me up every time I see it!

Just working on getting the steering box and tie rods installed so we are ready for wheels.
2016 Golf R - my daily
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

That engine looks super nice!! So glad that you have that all sorted out. You sure have built an expensive engine test stand there!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

You look to be a bit more than "a wee bit happy" in that pic. Laughing

I can well imagine how excited -- and relieved -- you must be to finally put that long nightmare behind you.

I expect that the pace will be picking up soon. I look forward to the updates!
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Charmaine,
Temm me about the shocks. Brand and color?
Ted
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Ted2 wrote:
Charmaine,
Temm me about the shocks. Brand and color?
Ted

They're from WW, and are the exact color of the ones removed from the car. Smile
They came that way.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111513031G

René R wrote:

I expect that the pace will be picking up soon. I look forward to the updates!

I installed the starter motor this afternoon and had a nice talk with the body guy yesterday morning.... the body is nearly complete but I had to spend all my extra car cash getting the engine finished and fixing the shortcomings, so my bodywork has been delayed a little bit. So yes, the things that I can do myself will be getting done but the complications in getting the engine completed are still taking their toll.
2016 Golf R - my daily
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

as you've already spent so much to get the motor fixed, aren't you already past the point of money meaning anything! Wink
TheLadyBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
as you've already spent so much to get the motor fixed, aren't you already past the point of money meaning anything! Wink

Haha pretty much! But it certainly hits hard when it's all gone Wink
Just had to pass up an opportunity to buy a uterus manifold because I don't have the money Crying or Very sad
2016 Golf R - my daily
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

Manifold =ho hum
Beautiful Ultramaroon paint job= Stoked beyond belief everytime you turn the shop light on and see the car!

You'll be glad you passed on the manifold!!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 1954 build thread "Beatrix" Reply with quote

You don't want that manifold, there's a reason they didn't last wrong. The last thing you want is rust flakes going into your new engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 53

Jump to: