Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2024
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

And we're back home after a GREAT trip. Smile

Huge thanks to Corwyn once again for promoting these Baja excursions and guiding new 'ducklings' into the Baja waters. Wink

We only had three weeks to make it from SF to the tip of Baja and back again, but managed that with ease. A more fulsome report when we've got our breath back from the last 519 mile stretch (!) we did today.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Glad you had a great time and got home safely. It was great to see you both again!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Next year is the year for us! Need to get Baja bound. VW Logo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:
Next year is the year for us! Need to get Baja bound. VW Logo

Us too! We are relocating to Southern California soon, so van willing, I expect to be there. Glad to hear y’all had a good time.
Some people call him Maurice...
bustamoov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Good times! My last night in the Baja in San Felipe. Pretty difficult to pay their prices considering I've been free camping on beaches that make this place look like s*#t hole.
Great to meet everyone and thanks again Sam!!
Hasta la Vista Baby!
Jay
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

bustamoov wrote:
Good times! My last night in the Baja in San Felipe. Pretty difficult to pay their prices considering I've been free camping on beaches that make this place look like s*#t hole.
Great to meet everyone and thanks again Sam!!
Hasta la Vista Baby!
Jay

We thought all the camp sites in San Felipe looked worse than Oakland homeless camps - so paid our $20 US to stay at Pete's Place just 10 miles further north. So pleasant we stayed two nights! That was the first we'd paid since leaving the rest of you at Mulegé. Wink
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

I never stay in San Felipe anymore. I camp out in the desert or Papa Fernandez campo and then drive to Mexicali.
Mexicali is a way cooler town than people realize. It has a large Chinese population that has been there for generations and an entire underground tunnel system that you can tour if you hire a guide. There are tons of great Chinese fusion restaurants and decent well priced hotels with secure parking.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

. . . and so ends another chapter. I crossed the border a few days ago and am in Tucson now. I will say MX 5 is completely paved and a beautiful road. I had a wonderful time and hope it was worth the trip for everyone who came along. I look forward to seeing some new faces next season.

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

I met Jay, who said he was with your group, at Agua Verde. He has a Syncro with a Carthago top on it. It turns out I had met him before in Moab several years ago.

Sam, I'm in Tucson myself right now. My wife wanted me to come home from Baja because El Presidente mentioned possibly closing the southern border due to the Corona virus. I just crossed back Monday. Rich
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

I'll be visiting with friends in town tomorrow .and collecting some items I left north of the border, then making for Red Rock canyon west of Las Vegas. Safe travels!

~ Captain Ron ~
bustamoov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
I met Jay, who said he was with your group, at Agua Verde. He has a Syncro with a Carthago top on it. It turns out I had met him before in Moab several years ago.

Rich! How are ya? What a great beach that was! Sorry to hear you had to head back early!
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
My wife wanted me to come home from Baja because El Presidente mentioned possibly closing the southern border due to the Corona virus. I just crossed back Monday. Rich

Sorry I missed you this year. I am going to head to the general loreto area for a few weeks after doing some mangrove kayak fishing in Bahia Magdalena .
Was hoping to see you there.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Sam, Tobias, I hope to see you guys at Syncro Solstice in May.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Provided the dust clears and we are allowed to enter, the next trip departs Potrero County Park on 5 February 2021.

Several have asked "why not sooner"? I had been crossing on that date for several years. One year I did not go two things of significance in my life happened - The Seahawks won the Super Bowl and my father passed away - ON THAT DAY. I never saw that Super Bowl. February 5th is sort of a memorial day for me.

That being said, last trip I recommended we try CB radios; which turned out to be a great success for everyone on the trip but me, 'cuz I went cheap with a handheld and had crap for range. I'm having a real one installed this summer, by a company that installs them in logging trucks in the Northwest. The CBs worked well down there.

I have "been there, done that" most of Baja California. Now each year I go, I meet new and interesting people from all over and I get to see Baja California "new" again, through their eyes. I look forward to the trip each year. My blood pressure drops 10 points when I cross the border and I actually feel safer in Mexico.

Enough ranting. I hope to be joined by some more adventure-bound people again.

Any questions? Be safe!

~ Captain Ron ~
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

I really wanted to make it last year, and will now pin my hopes on this year being possible. February is a LONG way off, in times as volatile as these. But hope and a plan are always a good thing, so for now, we’re in!
Some people call him Maurice...
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Prayers for Baja !
It appears that it's opening up ! Very Happy
Hope it continues !

Last edited by Energy Concepts on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

We have eight months to see the next re-spike, re-closure and re-opening . . . . Shame on you

~ Captain Ron ~
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Which brand/model CB are you going with?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

I believe they use this one:

https://www.cobra.com/products/c75wxst

~ Captain Ron ~
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 5, 2020 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
We have eight months to see the next re-spike, re-closure and re-opening . . . . Shame on you

Yeah... I guess you're right ... I'm Chompin' at the Bit though !!! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 38

Jump to: