Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2024
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

1. Water? How much do you carry and is clean water readiy available? Do you carry a water filter?
Water is readily available and its often cleaner than you have at home.

2.Gasoline? Do you carry extra gas?
If you're going WAY off the beaten path, yes; otherwise there are plenty of gas staitions. I don't carry any extra.

3. Campgrounds? Do you usually boondock or do the campgrounds you frequent have power and showers?
I usually end up at campgrounds with showers, but boondocking is entirely possible in some places.

4. Cash vs credit? Do you normally pay with cash or credit/debit?
I usually use cash, but credit is taken most places. The smaller the store,the more likely cash only.

5. Bicycles? Do any of you bring bicycles with you and are there good places to ride a road bike?
I don't take a bike - I prefer to walk, but mountain biking is popular.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
1. Water? How much do you carry and is clean water readiy available? Do you carry a water filter?
Water is readily available and its often cleaner than you have at home.

2.Gasoline? Do you carry extra gas?
If you're going WAY off the beaten path, yes; otherwise there are plenty of gas staitions. I don't carry any extra.

3. Campgrounds? Do you usually boondock or do the campgrounds you frequent have power and showers?
I usually end up at campgrounds with showers, but boondocking is entirely possible in some places.

4. Cash vs credit? Do you normally pay with cash or credit/debit?
I usually use cash, but credit is taken most places. The smaller the store,the more likely cash only.

5. Bicycles? Do any of you bring bicycles with you and are there good places to ride a road bike?
I don't take a bike - I prefer to walk, but mountain biking is popular.

Purified water is available at just about any store. Buy a 5 gal plastic jug and a pump and then just exchange the jug for a full one for a few pesos. The Oxxo convenence stores have it in many sizes.

Times have changed as far as gasoline availability, but there are still incidences of stations being out of gas. I would carry extra. There are long stretches of road without gas stations.

Campgrounds, especially beach campgrounds generally do not have electricity, and may only have an outhouse. There are some places that have showers, but by no means is that the rule. I use a converted garden sprayer and portable shower stall. I also have a porta pottie.

Change your money into to pesos and learn how to count in Espanol. It will save you a lot of hassle of converting back and forth when you buy anything, especially gas.

Bicycling is best with a mountain bike. I use and E-MTB but that requires my Honda generator.

In my mind, going to Baja requires some sort of Boat. Sea kayaks are great. Inflatables get blown around in the wind but can be fun.

BTW the prevailing wind on the Sea of Cortez is out of the North in the winter and a Norte can last several days (white caps, blowing sand). Stake you awning down really well or don't deploy it.
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. We are excited. We have maps and guide books out.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Been down to Baja twice for at least a month each time in my van, solo. Never have had any problems if I listen to my intuition and didn't get too bold driving in the sand. I'm considering joining you all for at least the front end at Protero (I might be there earlier then you all) and maybe Baja de Los Angeles.

I'll be traveling with a kayak and a sweet little pooch. I'm in my golden years and female so don't know how I'll fit but also independent so it might be fun for a few days and then go off on my own.

When are you planning to be at BOL, on the way down or back?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

"Golden years"?
I'm 64 and won't let it slow me down. Welcome aboard - I look forward to seeing you at Potrero!

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Gas is readily available but second the option to carry more fuel.

I have experienced a power outage in Bahia De Los Angeles rendering the pumps inoperable as well as pulling into another no name seaside village for fuel only to find the gas station closed on that day for no apparent reason.

My two cents.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Next year, I may be crossing earlier, so as to make it to https://www.escaparalabaja.com/ in early Feb. Heck, I may even be spending Christmas down there. Plans TBA later . . .

~ Captain Ron ~
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Not doing Buses By The Bridge? We're planning on going there this year.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Not this year - my van is in El Cajon, undergoing the full spa treatment:
https://www.californiawestys.com/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm picking it up in mid-January and heading to Tucson for a few days . . .

~ Captain Ron ~
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

That looks lovely. Smile
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Most of it is covered by insurance. I got hit 9n the driver side in Olympia, just in front of the wheel well. The only right way to repair is to remove all the cabinets. They are the only place I found which does that - no regrets; what I thought would be two months became almost a year, but it is really a full body restoration.

~ Captain Ron ~
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Has anyone here taken your 2WD van to Guadalupe Canyon Oasis?
Did you drive in on the dirt road or through the dry lake?
Do you have any info on camp sites that are easiest to get to and level?
My van is slightly lifted, 15" wheels with Nokian WRC3 tires, original 2.1 WBX and standard transmission. I'm considering going here late January as a solo retreat. Thanks for any information.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

I've been there many years ago in my 2wd Westy. I went in across the dry lake bed - the dirt road will shake your fillings out. Have a tire inflator and air down before you hit soft stuff. The destination is gorgeous and well worth the journey!

~ Captain Ron ~
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I've been there many years ago in my 2wd Westy. I went in across the dry lake bed - the dirt road will shake your fillings out. Have a tire inflator and air down before you hit soft stuff. The destination is gorgeous and well worth the journey!

Thank you so much! It's been years since driving on Baja sand roads but I have the inflator and good tires. What do you recommend for PSI when I deflate? Think my normal is 42 front and 48 rear.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Down around 25 is good. Have a great time!

~ Captain Ron ~
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Down around 25 is good. Have a great time!

Thank you so much Corwyn! BTW-Ca. Westys does beautiful paint jobs.
You are fortunate.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

We are headed down for new years from San Diego for a week or little longer. Kind of have plans depending on if there is swell on the west coast or not.

Glad your van is turning out well!
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

We will see how well it turns out. It's been there for 10 months, and they're hedging on the availability date in the middle of January. 😳

~ Captain Ron ~
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

If you have BEEN to Baja California, you get it. If not . . . you will! 😎

~ Captain Ron ~
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

I get it about the tope!!!

A friend just called from Loreto. He’s been down at Bahia de Concepcion for about a month. All his favorite hidden beaches have been discovered by the over lander crowd. He too can get anywhere in his 4 wheel drive Toyota but he was saddened by the impact, lack of courtesy and packs of dogs (travelers dogs not feral Mexican dogs).

I contacted Guadalupe Canyon Oasis to make a reservation for my birthday late January and after a week they replied saying they are totally booked.

Guess the road to the campos out by La Bufadora is under construction big time since the hurricane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 38

Jump to: