Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2024
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Vanis13 wrote
Quote:
So are the dates Feb 3,4? I didn't see a reply to this.... What's the plan for the meetup?

As I understand it we meet at Potrero to discuss where people want to go and what they want to do. Then come up with some sort of loose plan on places to stop and where to camp. We will be at site #5 '91 Orly Blue Tintop with Washington License plates.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
It is with sincere regret that I have to announce I will not be going to Mexico this year, for health reasons. The details: My PSA shot up and my doctor wants to perform a needle biopsy of my prostate to detect any possibility of prostate cancer. The soonest I can get the procedure is 8 February.

I hate to let so many people down on short notice; I was really looking forward to meeting the new people and re-acquainting with the returns, but first things first. Subject to the results, I still have to get to El Cajon to pick up my van. Maybe I'll cross then. Will advise. Again, my apologi
es.

If we've learned anything in life it's that conditions change. As I woke up I was wondering if you were able to get your van back from Ca. Westys yet, Corwyn? Sounds like no. Also and most importantly I hope the results of your test is negative. If it's positive then hoping the treatments are efficacious and the cancer is early stage. But negative is my visualization for you. May you be well!
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Honestly I've never really enjoyed the time pressure of having to be somewhere on a certain date, especially when I'm traveling in the van. I will probably delay my trip to Baja until a little later in February. It's going to be hard to get out of town with road closures and weather here in very Northern California. I'll head out when the time is right and all the ducks are in a row. Fortunately I have friends down there and two trips under my belt so I have a sense of direction. We'll see what happens.

With that said I was looking forward to meeting you all. Especially Corwyn since you are the ring leader with a lot of experience in Baja. Maybe see some of you on the road as there are only a few main roads in Baja unless you're off trail. Safe travels!
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Our plan was to drive down 101 through Oregon and California but we may have to modify our plans since 101 in Oregon was closed due to a slide south of Coos Bay. I guess Oregon DOT has jumped on its repair and it will open again soon. With all the storms hitting northern California (and California in general) we are keeping a close eye on road conditions.

clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Hi all,
Looks like the "Annual Baja Rally" is dwindling in numbers. It would be nice to have a head count with who is planning to go, who is iffy and how iffy.

We still want to go but don't want to go alone. We would prefer to travel with someone who has been there before but are willing to travel with other nubies.

The loose plan is to meet in Potrero County Park on February 3rd or 4th and cross the boarder in Tecate on Sunday the 5th.

Please respond if you are going.

Thanks,
Chuck

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Ok, so what is the latest word?
If I show up at the meeting point will anyone else be there?

Mark

clamay wrote:
Hi all,
Looks like the "Annual Baja Rally" is dwindling in numbers. It would be nice to have a head count with who is planning to go, who is iffy and how iffy.

We still want to go but don't want to go alone. We would prefer to travel with someone who has been there before but are willing to travel with other nubies.

The loose plan is to meet in Potrero County Park on February 3rd or 4th and cross the boarder in Tecate on Sunday the 5th.

Please respond if you are going.

Thanks,
Chuck
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

My long term plans are still up in the air but I may just head for Potereo and be ready to turn around at anytime. Not only work but my elderly dog is approaching his time.
It would be fun even for a quick road trip through the desert and get to meet up with some of you. I may even bring Doc on a last ride.

Last edited by mtnhome on Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

We are leaving NW Washington on January 29 and working our way down to Potrero for the 3rd and 4th and if there are others there that want to head down into Baja then great, we will too. If not, then we will travel east into Arizona. But we are really wanting to go to Baja. We have site #5 reserved for Potrero.

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

My procedure was moved up to 1 Feb. If it is negative, I'm heading south to get my van, then possible across the border; if not, southern AZ.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

We are pulling for negative!!!! But if not we are pulling for successful treatment. Take care!

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
My procedure was moved up to 1 Feb. If it is negative, I'm heading south to get my van, then possible across the border; if not, southern AZ.

Corwyn, sorry to hear about the trip disruption and health alert. Here's hoping that goes well.

As for your van, is it undergoing a complete respray, etc. I'd be interested in seeing photos and notes on the project if you have time to post that here.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

clamay wrote:
We are leaving NW Washington on January 29 and working our way down to Potrero for the 3rd and 4th and if there are others there that want to head down into Baja then great, we will too. If not, then we will travel east into Arizona. But we are really wanting to go to Baja. We have site #5 reserved for Potrero.

Just a heads up for you newbies to Baja, you need Mexican Auto insurance. You need liability to be legal. I just spent a lot of time getting quotes for my van from two sources: Bajabound and Oscar Padilla. Really wanted more than liability and settled on a policy from Padilla for $25K value at an affordable rate. It's probably lower than market but there were many ifs and maybes with the coverage offered at Bajabound. Insurance always has twists and turns and I get confused but basically I liked the communication with Padilla and the realistic coverage.
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Yes, we went through Bajabound. Max. value was $17.5K for full coverage but we only have a tin top.

Kozmob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Greetings all. I am heading out in a few weeks on my 4th Baja adventure in my trusty ’99 EVC and am open to caravan mates for parts of the trip. First part of my trip is fairly fixed; I’m leaving Olympia, WA on 2/15, crossing at Tecate on about 2/20, and visiting whales on 2/25. After that it’s my usual style of unstructured travel with remote beach boondocks and campgrounds, small towns, fresh fish on the beach, snorkeling, taquerias, markets, exploring dusty roads, and spontaneous photo stops.

If of you want to consider joining for part of this, DM me or get me at Kozmo at RanchoFraunch dot com to discuss.

Here's a little Baja inspiration; some pics of my last trip in ‘19 (includes a few pics on the way to the border). https://kozpics.com/index.php?/category/191
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All loaded up and ready to head south to Baja from Arcata Ca. hopefully on 2/1. I’m feeling prepared and happy to take it one day at a time. Not sure I’ll make it to Portero SP to camp but maybe before crossing at Tecate. Hope to see some of you down there.

I am fretting about carrying extra gas. Seems a good idea as my gas gauge is fickle and I have a heavy load so stretching beyond 200 miles per tank feels nerve wracking. Here are the options I’m considering:
1. Get a plastic three gallon gas can at Walmart and carry it empty mostly and then fill it 80% and put it up on the cargo rack or in my newly crafted back shelf when the distance traveled will be more then 200 miles (320 km).
2. Spend a bunch of time and money and install a rotopax on the back shelf. We do not have rotopax available locally so ? And I hear they leak?
3. Let it be and count on barrel gas being available in Catavina and elsewhere. I am planning on some off road short trips too. Good to have gas and a compressor. Right?
4. Buy and install a Jerry can on the back shelf or the cargo rack. I am concerned about static electricity with the metal. Am I being paranoid?

Lots of questions and I hope to hear from you experienced ones who do carry gas and why. Thank you!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

In your situation I would use a three gallon plastic can and securely lash it to the front luggage rack. Cross the border with it empty and fill it at your first gas stop in Baja. It sounds like the peace of mind will be well worth it.

(And use it up before you cross back into the USA.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

There is plenty of gas on the Pacific side until you get down to El Rosario.
Get a COMPLETE fill there before continuing south and you should be fine.
Myself I also fill a 2.5 gal plastic jug at that same stop though I know I am unlikely to need it.
The next gas station is Villa Jesus Maria, 200 miles.

I often rest stop at the big boulders near Catavina and pour my extra gas in since I don't like to carry the gas all the time.

I do the same heading back North.
Going North top-off completely in Villa Jesus Maria, fill my jug, pour it in when there is room in the tank.

If I will be turning off on any dirt routes then for sure I like to have the extra jug filled for peace of mind and pour it in only when I need it.

Mark
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I often rest stop at the big boulders near Catavina and pour my extra gas in since I don't like to carry the gas all the time.

Yes - in the tank is the safest place for gas, and less likely someone will see it and ask for it.
Would be cool to have a collapsible tank.
But you'd wanna use that ethic, of getting it into the tank as soon as you've burned the space for it.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Great advice! Where do you stash the 2.5 gallon jug when you’re driving ?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Annual Baja Rally ~ Feb. 2023 Reply with quote

Kozmob wrote:
Greetings all. I am heading out in a few weeks on my 4th Baja adventure in my trusty ’99 EVC and am open to caravan mates for parts of the trip. First part of my trip is fairly fixed; I’m leaving Olympia, WA on 2/15, crossing at Tecate on about 2/20, and visiting whales on 2/25. After that it’s my usual style of unstructured travel with remote beach boondocks and campgrounds, small towns, fresh fish on the beach, snorkeling, taquerias, markets, exploring dusty roads, and spontaneous photo stops.

If of you want to consider joining for part of this, DM me or get me at Kozmo at RanchoFraunch dot com to discuss.

Here's a little Baja inspiration; some pics of my last trip in ‘19 (includes a few pics on the way to the border). https://kozpics.com/index.php?/category/191

I'm jealous; but will be on your heels as soon as possible. Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 38

Jump to: